Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Doctor Who 2023

Also that whole skit was pretty much the same joke as the Davros sketch from comic relief. The Davros bit was written after though I believe.

I am worried we'll be treated to a Doctor's Greatest Hits collection of the Tardis crashing into all sorts of historic naming events. And we'll have the Free States of Columbia in for the USA or something.

I am worried we'll be treated to a Doctor's Greatest Hits collection of the Tardis crashing into all sorts of historic naming events. And we'll have the Free States of Columbia in for the USA or something.
I’m not worried about that. I’m kind of looking forward to it!

It’s obviously a plot point. It’ll turn out to be a significant clue to something. The Doctor said gravity “by accident”. Something is going on. Plus RTD is doing gags about mavity on the socials.

I have to say that I really hate that whole “what was that word, mavity?” thing as well. It’s just stupid. Gravity comes from the Latin for “weight”, and Newton was fluent in Latin, which is no doubt the reason he used that word. He wasn’t just making up sounds that pleased him. And as a puritan prick, it would have been horribly out of character for him to make up a silly word. This is why people describe Doctor Who as a kid’s programme. Things like that are humour for seven year olds. Having it as a repeated motif is just irritating.

I loved the episode other than its Newton nonsense, though.

I have to say that I really hate that whole “what was that word, mavity?” thing as well. It’s just stupid. Gravity comes from the Latin for “weight”, and Newton was fluent in Latin, which is no doubt the reason he used that word. He wasn’t just making up sounds that pleased him. And as a puritan prick, it would have been horribly out of character for him to make up a silly word. This is why people describe Doctor Who as a kid’s programme. Things like that are humour for seven year olds. Having it as a repeated motif is just irritating.

Missing the point.
Had a timelord not popped by then yes he'd had taken his usual naming path.

p.s. Doctor Who IS a kids programme... And an adults programme. It's a family programme.

Lol. I thought it was fun. I like the silly jokes. I know the word goes back to an Indo-European root, via Latin, but that’s part of what makes it funny (to me).

Like this:

It doesn’t actually make real world sense as a reaction from art snobs. But it’s funny.

It’s not hard sci-fi to get the basic features of historical characters right if you’re using them in your fiction

There’s a great scene in the Fires of Pompeii where Donna realises she’s speaking English and it’s coming out as Latin so she tries speaking Latin and the Tardis translation circuits render that as Welsh. It doesn’t make sense, but it’s fun. And the programme is make in Cardiff so it’s a good reference. I like it.

It’s not hard sci-fi to get the basic features of historical characters right if you’re using them in your fiction
Newton was a human being and he’s played by a human being. I’m fine with that. I’m also fine with the Doctor thinking Nathaniel Curtis is hot. I think Nathaniel Curtis is hot. Was Isaac Newton hot? Who cares?

I think we can still expect it to have a certain fidelity to historic events. You're just disagreeing about where the line should be drawn. How would we all feel if Rosa Parks had been accidentally knocked onto a bus seat by a clumsy companion?

I think we can still expect it to have a certain fidelity to historic events. You're just disagreeing about where the line should be drawn. How would we all feel if Rosa Parks had been accidentally knocked onto a bus seat by a clumsy companion?
think if they're going to treat history seriously in some places then when they don't they should keep the characters true to their inspiration as much as possible then have the events around them be ridiculous. I'd say that's often been the case before including the three examples from Danny. They got Simon Callow ffs.

Personally I enjoyed the Merchant of Varos and Great Exterminations.

Well sure. But over the course of art and literature, in line with cultural racism, it’s been far more likely that people with dark skin have been underrepresented or misrepresented.

And it’s not as if Newton’s contribution to science has suffered any reputational damage.

I’d be quite happy if the concept of race is dealt a blow by the likes of a British-Asian playing Newton for 3 minutes.

Anyway, if you want to make an Isaac Newton adventure, make it about him investigating some alien-related forgery from his secret base beneath the Tower of London which Elizabeth I established in the 50th anniversary.

Neal Stephenson has probably done enough Isaac Newton speculative fiction to keep everyone happy.

I think the fact that I have a particular fascination with the Enlightenment and the philosophers (natural and otherwise) of that time makes it particularly hurt. It grates to see Newton skipping along and making up words from nothing. What’s next — they go and see Kant, who insists that we can experience objects directly with absolute certainty? Or Pepys is portrayed as a miserable fucker who hates wine and song?

Well, if they ever portray John Coltrane as an incompetent ukulele player who entered the Eurovision Song Contest and came last, I’ll be the first to complain.

Well, if they ever portray John Coltrane as an incompetent ukulele player who entered the Eurovision Song Contest and came last, I’ll be the first to complain.
Well quite. We don’t like it when historical characters who were real people who did real things and had particular characteristics are then portrayed as the exact opposite of those real things

Back
Top Bottom