Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Doctor Who 2023

Did you miss the parts of the thread when several times I said I loved the rest of the program? Would have been a bit fucking stupid to turn it off before seeing that, wouldn’t it?

Why can’t you handle anything less than 100% enthusiasm for the whole show?

But if you had you wouldn’t have know you loved the rest, would you? So you wouldn’t have felt fucking stupid in that time line?

Destiny of the Daleks. I had that one on video. Watched it a lot but not for a long time. It was a good enough story but I think it annoyed a lot of people by treating the Daleks as though they were robots in some places. Purely logical etc.

I think it may have been the first episode or so of City of Death I found light hearted before it really got into the main plot. I might be misremembering as I have only seen that the once.
Well there is that John Cleese bit at the end that's in the clip. I think this is the one that begins on Brighton Beach with K9 blowing up in the sea.

In destiny don't they both have war computers? . . .though yes, I think there is an actual mention by the doctor about the Daleks logical robotic mind.
I think you can dismiss it to some extent as a simile.
I really liked the Movellans. I had a doctor who book (The technical manual) of robots and whatnot, and would look through it over and over again (it wasn't very big or long). Anything featured in that book became an instant superstar in my mind. Even the shit old robots looked cool in the drawings.
Wish I still had that book.

I remember TVs Matt Berry had a copy when I used to hang out with him. He was a massive Dr Who fan, I'm surprised he hasn't asked to be on the show.

EDIT
Flipping through that book, it's probably why I remember the Jagaroth spaceship and the movellans so well.

Well there is that John Cleese bit at the end that's in the clip. I think this is the one that begins on Brighton Beach with K9 blowing up in the sea.

In destiny don't they both have war computers? . . .though yes, I think there is an actual mention by the doctor about the Daleks logical robotic mind.
I think you can dismiss it to some extent as a simile.
I really liked the Movellans. I had a doctor who book (The technical manual) of robots and whatnot, and would look through it over and over again (it wasn't very big or long). Anything featured in that book became an instant superstar in my mind. Even the shit old robots looked cool in the drawings.
Wish I still had that book.

I remember TVs Matt Berry had a copy when I used to hang out with him. He was a massive Dr Who fan, I'm surprised he hasn't asked to be on the show.

EDIT
Flipping through that book, it's probably why I remember the Jagaroth spaceship and the movellans so well.
Leisure Hive is the one that began on Brighton Beach. I remember it because everyone else was turning into Buck Rogers that weekend but it was love and loyalty that kept me with Who.

Did watch the occasional BR, though.

I'm more keen to see Gatwa's doctor than more Tennant. It all feels a bit like a greatest hits tour at the moment.

I'm more keen to see Gatwa's doctor than more Tennant. It all feels a bit like a greatest hits tour at the moment.

It's a very clever move to bring back fair weather friends into the fold.

Because (for some eejits) Gatwa is going to be a hard sell.

Having loved his ridiculous energy and gravitas in Sex Education, I know he will be awesome.

Bring back Bill Potts and Peter Capaldi and Jo Martin.
I loved the Bill Potts season. But I’m really looking forward to the Gatwa era. I think he’ll be fab.

On the one hand, I’m kind of not ready to say goodbye to Fourteen and Donna yet, but on the other we (assume we) get to see Ncuti regenerate from David tonight, so that’s top level anticipation right there, Barbies!

Loved it. The Toymaker was great.
But.

I'm not sure about there being two doctors. For a total of three David Tenants in the canon. It's just messy.

It's just messy. I wonder if that will get resolved in the Xmas Special, or if Tenant is just going to remain.

Thankfully Melanie didn't scream.

Good episode overall. That doll was scary as fuck and NPH was good (was a bit dubious it might be played a bit too much for laughs but was genuinely creepy and menacing).
Not sure what the fuck just happened mind you, RTD did reportedly say that he was going to do something that would upset die-hard fans.
Was there any explanation as to why Gatwa was only partly dressed, or was that intentionally designed to attempt to distract us from the wtaf is going on here aspects of the episode?

Hmm.
I have a memory of the Celestial Toymaker from when I was a kid, and a couple of weeks ago watched the only existing episode, on iPlayer. I also watched Logopolis, to which the Doctor also makes reference.

This episode is unsatisfying.

I actually found that the weakest of the 3 specials, ending a bit of a cop-out I agree Karl Masks , feels a bit like
'Everyone loves David Tennant, so let's keep him in reserve'

Neil Patrick Harris was good value as ever, and Ncuti Gatwa's first few minutes bode well, he's giving off an easy charisma that gives him a distinct personality from the get go - interestingly a Doctor who appears to immediately know who he is (and he looks good in tighty whities ;) )

Good episode overall. That doll was scary as fuck.
Not sure what the fuck just happened mind you, RTD did reportedly say that he was going to do something that would upset die-hard fans.
Was there any explanation as to why Gatwa was only partly dressed, or was that intentionally designed to attempt to distract us from the wtaf is going on here aspects of the episode?

Weren’t the Doctors sharing an outfit? Gatwa got the underwear and the shirt.

Back
Top Bottom