Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Do you like fixing electrical things?

There are some mending groups that happen at the same events eh people bring in socks to darn or buttons to replace. The idea is that the volunteers teach people how to do it themselves. It's not paid though, sorry.

I fix things but prefer not to do electrical as I find it a faf and less fun. Prefer fixing metal, wooden, fabric, painted and plastic things. I want to get paid every time too

South London. I think there's one at the end of March nearby. Been subscribed to the mailing list for a bit already. Might go along to the March one to see what's happening.
Cool, definitely pop your head in to find out what its about. Hope you like it! Let me know if you end up getting involved

Right on cue my cheapo Chinese BT headphone amp needs fixing.
It's some sort of bonus having an actual switch - so no standby leakage, but the pots got scratchy and now the switch is intermittent. I suppose it has actual pots because it has a line-in (which I don't use)
I trickled some isopropyl in which fixed it for a bit, but I now need to do something about it...
Not exactly an iPhone, but still super-fiddly. It's mounted on a daughter-board ...
I'm tempted to just solder in a load of tantalum bead capacitors so the intermittent switch is not such an issue...

shopping

Right on cue my cheapo Chinese BT headphone amp needs fixing.
It's some sort of bonus having an actual switch - so no standby leakage, but the pots got scratchy and now the switch is intermittent. I suppose it has actual pots because it has a line-in (which I don't use)
I trickled some isopropyl in which fixed it for a bit, but I now need to do something about it...
Not exactly an iPhone, but still super-fiddly. It's mounted on a daughter-board ...
I'm tempted to just solder in a load of tantalum bead capacitors so the intermittent switch is not such an issue...

shopping
I'd just go all retro steampunk, and wire it to a big rheostat-type potential divider, and one of those Frankenstein knife switches.
d2bhc9j-dbdb3440-a578-4b62-892d-b804559d920d.jpg

Cool! it is really fun and I love chatting to the owners and getting them involved in the repair too.
I'll check out the nearest one to you. Shame you're not near me
Shippou-Sensei the Camden Fixers seem to be taking a pause. There is a group in Islington - who seem to have an event on 25 March However, I don't know N London so well, so maybe you could sign up to Restarters.net and then you can search for groups and events near you? Let me know if you go and how you get on!

Before I get my soldering iron out I've written an honest Amazon review of the HP amp and contacted the company in case they'll send me a replacement - I'm not sure if I can even find the box it came it.
I's a decent bit of kit but not good value for the non-technical if it needs fixing after only 8 months ...

I do but I get really pissed off when I can't or have to spend hours with a difficult wire or something.

Back
Top Bottom