Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Discussion: UK anti-vaxx 'freedom' morons, protests and QAnon idiots

I see you don't understand the intricacies either. ;)

The issue would not be anything involving chips dramatically exploding out of people (unless, theoretically, you did some silly stuff and had no idea someone had something metallic in them), the issue would concern current generation and/or heating effects. You can work around some things, but stuff gets more complicated and messy when electrical contacts are involved, hence a 'socket' likely being problematic. It's to do with the radio waves generated rather than the field strength.

I am unfortunately personally "MRI-contra-indicated" due to various inorganic components, though I've been told they'd have a go in a sufficient emergency. Bad knees, no; severe head injury, maybe.

Last edited:
I see you don't understand the intricacies either. ;)

The issue would not be anything involving chips dramatically exploding out of people (unless, theoretically, you did some silly stuff and had no idea someone had something metallic in them), the issue would concern current generation and/or heating effects. You can work around some things, but stuff gets more complicated and messy when electrical contacts are involved, hence a 'socket' likely being problematic. It's to do with the radio waves generated rather than the field strength.

A socket for an RFID chip need not be one that carries electricity, as opposed to being a purely mechanical affair. What system is such a chip going to interface with through the socket? I thought the point of using RFID was that it works wirelessly over very short distances?

The point behind using a socket in this case would be the ability to more easily swap out chips, without requiring minor surgery each time. So instead of undergoing a procedure in order to get the chip out before undergoing an MRI, you just remove the chip from the socket.

Although personally I would much rather just carry a swipe card.

A socket for an RFID chip need not be one that carries electricity, as opposed to being a purely mechanical affair. What system is such a chip going to interface with through the socket? I thought the point of using RFID was that it works wirelessly over very short distances?

The point behind using a socket in this case would be the ability to more easily swap out chips, without requiring minor surgery each time. So instead of undergoing a procedure in order to get the chip out before undergoing an MRI, you just remove the chip from the socket.

Although personally I would much rather just carry a swipe card.

RFID does, but it's just tracking and stuff. I thought we were talking about something re-programmable and updatable.
That idea of a socket makes more sense, more of a 'pocket' than a 'socket' really, though.

Plus once you make something easily swappable you lose a lot of the point of it as opposed to just a trouser pocket.

Titanium is not a good conductor.
It's in the rough area of steel. You don't make microchips with steel.
You don't make microchips from any metal, they are made from semiconductors. The only place metal is used is the gold wires from the chip to the pins and the pins/legs themselves.

You don't make microchips from any metal, they are made from semiconductors. The only place metal is used is the gold wires from the chip to the pins and the pins/legs themselves.

I don't like to be mean, but whatever you looked up, read on for a few more paragraphs.

Let's settle on "mostly not made of metal". :)

Silicon is a metalloid, so near enough. It also has a metallic lustre.

Silicon is a metalloid, so near enough. It also has a metallic lustre.

Pretty lucky that we happened on such a useful use for an abundant substance like sand.
Shame we can't make rechargeable batteries from Irn Bru and sarcasm. :(

Sorry the microchip itself is made from silicon which is not a metal.

No, the subustrate is silicon, but there is metal in the chips forming the circuits (and the semiconductor/transistor bit is complicated).
Some reasonable stuff on it here.

Then there are the external pins and whatnot, as you said..

No, the subustrate is silicon, but there is metal in the chips forming the circuits (and the semiconductor/transistor bit is complicated).
Some reasonable stuff on it here.

Then there are the external pins and whatnot, as you said..
One of the dopants is phosphorous which is also a non metal. I can't remember what the other dopant is but seem to remember that's a non metal as well. That's all you need to make the p and n type junctions to make the diodes and transistors found in micro chips.

One of the dopants is phosphorous which is also a non metal. I can't remember what the other dopant is but seem to remember that's a non metal as well. That's all you need to make the p and n type junctions to make the diodes and transistors found in micro chips.

You can make diodes and resistors with non-metals, but you don't use non-metals for the circuits connecting all the components.

Isn't aluminium used to link some circuits? Which although a metal is not magnetic.

Yes (to both). :D

Although "not magnetic" becomes a fairly relative term when dealing with machines that can magnetise a glass of water.
That's assuming we are still talking about implanted microchips and MRI machines.

I'm so confused. :D

Back
Top Bottom