Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Discussion: UK anti-vaxx 'freedom' morons, protests and QAnon idiots

I tend to unplug stuff (except the internet router) when it isn't in use but this is largely due to 13 years with a cat who I suspect was half demonic and liked to stick his paws in the toaster slots to see if there was anything in there and on one particularly glorious occasion posted a toy mouse into the VCR slot, once you've seen that sort of thing you facepalm and unplug everything that doesn't absolutely need to be plugged in when you are not watching over it.

Or power surge. Or both. I can't exactly remember. Pretty sure I remember lightning being mentioned.

They probably had good reason - Electrical safety in the home didn't really become a major concern until the 1970s (IIRC it wasn't fully regulated until the 2000s? Workplaces got proper regulation in 1989 though) - before then, it could be very hit or miss and the "safety" of house wiring from properties built between the 1920s and 70's could be a staggering thing to behold, with all soerts of weird and wonderful arrangements of "christmas trees" of socket adaptors and strange multi-wire sprouting pipe-like arrangements out of light fittings and the like - often they could be so overloaded that they ran very hot as normal and the smell of cooking bakelite greeted you as soon as you entered a house. Things like valve radios and old TVs simply had to go off at night because the poor quality of insulation/isolation was such that they could build-up enough heat to catch fire if left-on.

i have vague memories of us doing a (late 70s primary) school assembly thing about the need to unplug stuff like the telly at night.

my parents bought a 1930s house in 1969 - it had (with one or two exceptions) square pin sockets, but at some point it turned out that the previous owner had just replaced the old round pin sockets and not re-wired properly. from memory there were one or two things we never managed to work out just what fuse circuit they were on. (the place has been properly re-wired since - although i do wish she had kept the original light switches which i think would have been ok if they had been earthed)

and on one particularly glorious occasion posted a toy mouse into the VCR slot,

:D

at least it wasn't a real mouse...

We had to unplug everything because if the house got struck by lightning it would break the appliances if they were plugged in.

my phone / answering machine and telephone line got buggered by a lightning strike some years back - can phone lines still get this? i sometimes wonder if i ought to disconnect the modem when there's lightning about.

We had to unplug everything because if the house got struck by lightning it would break the appliances if they were plugged in.
That can still happen. I don't bother unplugging things at night but I do switch things off when not in use apart from the router and Freesat box.

Or power surge. Or both. I can't exactly remember. Pretty sure I remember lightning being mentioned.
Expensive things like laptops are plugged into an extension lead with surge protection, so I reckon they'd be OK in a lightning strike.

Is this true? Tell us, Millionaire of the Mikes, forgive us our frivolous insolence! Let us not live in darkness, share with us your light!

Back
Top Bottom