Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Denormalisation of alcohol

Minimum pricing per unit sounds good, and could be ratcheted up in tandem with aggressive taxation. Raising the limit for legal purchase to 21 would be great. Advertising bans, plain packaging, stringent guidelines on how broadcasters feature alcohol consumption pre-watershed: all of these could work, too. And, at some point in the next twenty years, they will be applied.

So, which Urbanites would go to the barricades for Diageo and InBev?

Most of these measures have absolutely nothing to do with combatting alcohol problems - Instead they are policy tools dreamt-up by organisations determined to see a wide range of treatments hived-off from the NHS on to an insurance based US-model operated by a loose coalition of drug companies, private healthcare providers, medical "charities" and a variety of openly prohibitionist medical think-tanks - RWJF being about the main player in the whole circus.

So maybe it would be better asking why you are fronting-up for Johnson & Johnson?

alcohol advertising is already under the strictest (self imposed) guidelines anyway. No showing solitary drinking, no showing or implying alcohol=sexual prowess\attractiveness. 'Please drink responsibly' on spirits ads.

You're still allowed to advertise it (and please all alcohol ads point to: your night out will be better with this) - and alcohol can be shown in nice fancy packaging with the manufacturer's name on it - unlike fags.

Depends on the sport. I might favour compulsory health insurance for something really dangerous and expensive - scuba and skiing are probably the limit at which society should pick up the pieces gratis.

Why not just ban the dangerous stuff? Anyway, what about a person who just decides to climb a tree in a park one day and gets injured? Should they be denied healthcare? Should we ban trees, or make the climbing of them a prisonable offence?

Most of these measures have absolutely nothing to do with combatting alcohol problems - Instead they are policy tools dreamt-up by organisations determined to see a wide range of treatments hived-off from the NHS on to an insurance based US-model operated by a loose coalition of drug companies, private healthcare providers, medical "charities" and a variety of openly prohibitionist medical think-tanks - RWJF being about the main player in the whole circus.

So maybe it would be better asking why you are fronting-up for Johnson & Johnson?

But you've lumped together a load of people you don't like, with wildly differing agendas, as if they are the chief lobbyists against booze. The most vociferous prohibitionists are clinicians.

On a day when a well-liked public figure was killed, one way or another, by booze - in a country where minimum pricing legisation has been scuppered by legal challenges from whisky interests - who's in favour of laws to make tougher for the drink industry?

Do you think minimum pricing would have got him off the booze?

Seriously, I really fucking hate the idea of minimum pricing. All it says is that everyday folk can't be trusted whilst the middle and upper classes can consume gallons of wine from the Sunday Times fucking wine club or Majestic or Waitrose. Also if there is an argument for raising the selling price of some booze it should certainly be done through general taxation of off-licences not just setting a minimum bar so Tesco can get a bit more cash in to it's coffers.

Booze ads all do this, especially ones directed at women. Fun, glamorous drinking!
yeah but thats just heavily implied- look at these attractive, well dressed people having fun with booze. The WKD adverts did it when they were trying to hit the lads demographic

but its never shown as part of an actual, look he drank this and now he's getting into a taxi with her and waving to his mates. not to be made explicit is the line I think

On a day when a well-liked public figure was killed, one way or another, by booze - in a country where minimum pricing legisation has been scuppered by legal challenges from whisky interests - who's in favour of laws to make tougher for the drink industry?

Minimum pricing per unit sounds good, and could be ratcheted up in tandem with aggressive taxation. Raising the limit for legal purchase to 21 would be great. Advertising bans, plain packaging, stringent guidelines on how broadcasters feature alcohol consumption pre-watershed: all of these could work, too. And, at some point in the next twenty years, they will be applied.

So, which Urbanites would go to the barricades for Diageo and InBev?

We need an organization to promote sober living among young people. We could call it "the Young Pioneers".

Urgh prohibitionists

Ain't we got fun?

18gvm90k0vjw4jpg.jpg

It's very, very difficult to get a pub license in Ireland and of course we are well known for our moderate attitudes to drinking.

During the Tiger it seemed like they were handing them out like they were sweets. Certainly, the management of Temple Bar came out a few years ago and admitted that it had been a major mistake to allow so many pubs to open in that area.

Seriously, though -

Permanent ban on alcohol advertising: nationalisation of the off-licence trade; indefinite moratorium on the issuing of new pub licences.

I strongly believe that pubs are rarely a problem anymore. It's consumption at home and behind closed doors is the real big problem. Besides most pubs have closed now to the detriment of our society imo.
ETA: Sorry, you're in Ireland - my comment is a reference to where I live in England.

During the Tiger it seemed like they were handing them out like they were sweets. Certainly, the management of Temple Bar came out a few years ago and admitted that it had been a major mistake to allow so many pubs to open in that area.
I'm not sure how it works, but I think there are only a certain amount of them and no new ones are issued, therefore a pub needs to close in order for a shop to get a booze license. All the new ones in Temple Bar would presumably have come at the expense of closing down country pubs.

I'm not sure how it works, but I think there are only a certain amount of them and no new ones are issued, therefore a pub needs to close in order for a shop to get a booze license. All the new ones in Temple Bar would presumably have come at the expense of closing down country pubs.

Well that accounts for Jackie Healey-Rae's bold and visionary proposal to legalise drunk driving, I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom