Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Denormalisation of alcohol

That's no good to me! I like a nice pub, and hope to never be in a nightclub again.

There's something useful there: force all booze-selling establishments to play music at a conversation-drowning volume, restrict the availability of chairs, and send squads of horrible dancing youngsters in, to make them even less pleasant.

The culture of spending the years between 18 and 21 in a pub, with the very occasional lecture, plays a large part in developing unhealthy drinking habits.
not everyone went straight from FE-HE. You're effectively saying the bad drinking habits are largely confined to the middle classes then no. Who can buy their way out of alcohol price rises. No, you haven't thought this through at all. Banning home brewing. lol.

There's something useful there: force all booze-selling establishments to play music at a conversation-drowning volume, restrict the availability of chairs, and send squads of horrible dancing youngsters in, to make them even less pleasant.
WHY? I'm looking forward to my retirement when I'm going to (somehow) be an old Basque man, wandering around the streets of Donostia with my cronies, in and out of each bar of the town all morning, drinking my 50c glass of red of wine.

The consumption of alcohol is so ingrained in UK society, you'll never denormalise it. Part of what needs to happen is ingraining the idea that alcohol is a drug. Instead of the use of the phrase 'drugs and alcohol' we should be talking about 'drugs, including alcohol'. ;) Then legalise a bunch of other drugs and include alcohol in the discussion about availability/packaging/harm reduction information/taxing.

In an ideal world, yep. In this world, it's simply handing power over to unaccountable commercial organisations.

You might credit the people doing the drinking with at least a little bit of agency in the matter.

I really don't think advertising is the key factor that makes people drink. It might affect people's choices about what they drink, but when you're talking about public health that's pretty irrelevant.

Why? Just fucking mind your own business. :mad:

Collectively, we pay for healthcare. Public health is everyone's business. When firms with the muscle to frighten government are selling addictive poisons, the problem is clearly a social rather than an individual one, but when individuals are brewing poison in their shed it's also reasonable for society to intervene.

funny how its those liberals like JV who are the voices of draco on this issue

Except I'm not. I'm not stopping anyone drinking - I just think we should be reigning in the power of big companies to push potentially harmful products at people and also ensure such products are taxed at a level that mops up their cost to society. I also find it strange how alcohol gets this free pass, while users of less harmful drugs are criminalised.

Collectively, we pay for healthcare. Public health is everyone's business. When firms with the muscle to frighten government are selling addictive poisons, the problem is clearly a social rather than an individual one, but when individuals are brewing poison in their shed it's also reasonable for society to intervene.

It's not poison if you don't drink too much. And if you do drink too much it is a symptom that you are already ill.

Except I'm not. I'm not stopping anyone drinking - I just think we should be reigning in the power of big companies to push potentially harmful products at people and also ensure such products are taxed at a level that mops up their cost to society. I also find it strange how alcohol gets this free pass, while users of less harmful drugs are criminalised.

Absolutely.

You might credit the people doing the drinking with at least a little bit of agency in the matter.

I really don't think advertising is the key factor that makes people drink. It might affect people's choices about what they drink, but when you're talking about public health that's pretty irrelevant.
I do credit the people doing the drinking with a bit of agency. And am only too aware of the many and varied reasons people drink.

alcohol advertising is already under the strictest (self imposed) guidelines anyway. No showing solitary drinking, no showing or implying alcohol=sexual prowess\attractiveness. 'Please drink responsibly' on spirits ads.

one of the problems with this is that petrol and booze tax are used as budget day freebies- climb steadily, little at a time, then just before an election, cut duty, glory in the headlines and jobs a good un.

Back
Top Bottom