Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Criminalising Pregnant Mothers who Drink

I was asked to explain my position, that was my explanation. Am i now not entitled to respond in defence of statements made in the thread when other participants ask me to do so?

You can do whatever you like. I was suggesting that it might make sense to do it elsewhere...but go on have this one on me and fill your boots.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

Last edited:
*bit in bold*
Well unless you are going to say who you are talking about, then aren't you doing the same thing?
It feels like you are tarring a lot of people with one brush to me.
Are you asking me to provide a list of users?

Apart from the usual "how dare a man say these things" crap. Like this:

A stupid crass straw man (ie an offensive and deliberate misrepresentation).

E'rm one man turned up and said one line...........don't really count that as 'nasty' behaviour

anf fuciing seriously, dotty's comment there isn't a strawman.

i can label it as at least 3 logical fallicies, but it isn't a strawman

A stupid crass straw man (ie an offensive and deliberate misrepresentation).

images

I'd be interested in seeing the evidence for that.
I simplified a bit. This was the finding of the 'thud' experiment in the US in the 70s. Diagnosis varied according to the amount of money the establishment charged for admittance, with the less stigmatised 'bipolar' far more common in the exclusive private clinics.

This is a review of studies in both the US and the UK from 1997 detailing differences in diagnosis and the effect of race and class. A section at the start of page 107 seems relevant to this discussion - a finding that alcohol abuse is less likely to be detected in better-off patients. The review does suggest that class bias is becoming less of a problem, but it also suggests that the clinicians' preconceptions about what a particular kind of patient looks like are still a significant factor in diagnosis. Tbh the most shocking differences are those relating to race, both here and in the US.

Back
Top Bottom