Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Craft club topic of the month - knitting!

I just watched this, and I'm not sure the result is any better than my cardboard circle version :D

Wool shop didn't have gadgets for pompoms so I made my own, just like in the video. Then they fell to bits :mad:
I'll be posting hats without pom-poms to my grandchildren this morning. :(
I made a silver ring for my younger son, turned out perfect, maybe knitting isn't really my thang :(

I just watched this, and I'm not sure the result is any better than my cardboard circle version :D

pompoms give pizazz, apparently. Who knew?

That's easily as much faff as using cardboard circles. Plus presumably you need to buy different sizes for different size pompoms.

I've wanted to do this forever:

contigo_medium2.jpg

I've used all my silver until more arrives Monday and I've painted my drawers so tomorrow I'll have no choice but to pick up the knitting I started months ago. I can't find a pic on here now but I think Biddlybee sent me the link to the pattern for a lovely hat. I started it then I put it away when I needed to knit hats for my grandchildren and I've been avoiding getting it out again because I found really difficult. I won't be beaten though even if it means going out wearing a very wonky hat :oops: :D

I'm stuck :(

The cowl I'm knitting has a crochet edge, I can just about manage a chain, but the first instruction is:

'make a slip stitch in the first stitch at the bottom centre of the hood'

What does that mean? Is it just picking up a loop from the working yarn from through the middle stitch? Or something else?

Is it the start of the crochet? So the first stitch they're referring to is knitting?
Slip stitch is like doing a chain stitch but attached to something. If that makes any sense. It's a way of not growing your piece but moving where you are...

Sorry if that's a nonsense explanation. I'm in the pub. And I don't know knitting.

Yep, the first stitch is the knitting.

So, do I just loop the yarn from behind and then do a slip stitch into that loop?

The (expensive) yak wool cardigan was done apart from the final half of the second sleeve when I ground to a halt. I spent months, trying to fathom why I was literally unable to continue until realising that using yak and merino on a little cropped summer number was...insane. For the first time in my life, I ripped the whole thing out and started again, got to halfway through the yoke and body and ground to a halt again - boredom this time - endless rounds (260 stitches) of plain red st.st....but finally alleviated by ordering 3 shades of grey, i cream and adding some Estonian colourwork to the red cardigan. Actually being able to see the piece growing, row by row has spurred me back into action and am now on the bottom ribbing of the body - just the sleeves left so if I can get past the psychological hurdle of the first boring (5 needle job) sleeve, and end might be in sight. Since my record for finishing was 16 years or so, this counts as relatively speedy. I do not love knitting, just having warm jumpers.

Last edited:
It is 50/;50 yak and merino, Oriole but feels quite odd - more like a cotton (it has very little flex and bounce) but knits up soft and warm. The brand is Lang and it was £7.50 for 100 grams (have spent more on Artesano or Noro).
Yep, I have used Lopi wool before and true, it can only be worn with thick T,shirts underneath. Used to be everywhere in the 80s - I remember ordering direct from Alafoss in Iceland and even knew a couple of people who worked in the spinning factory...but it vanished off the knitting radar. Tbh, I was never a fan of the drab colours (although I did get a good blue once). Is yours a traditional circular yoke, colour-worked style?

Using some of that self-striping yarn and rustling up a pair of socks to get me back into knitting after a lull. Can't decide if I like that stuff or not :hmm: :D

Tbh, I was never a fan of the drab colours (although I did get a good blue once). Is yours a traditional circular yoke, colour-worked style?
It's that one so not a traditional yoke but my son agrees with you re the blues as he picked ocean blue for the colour rather than the brown in the book. It's it jeans like hue.
He was glad he picked a colarless model, ribs around the neck in the itchy wool would have driven him crazy.
edited for spelling

Attachments

• 30-18_Ork_large.jpg
    30-18_Ork_large.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 5
I had a little look at the Lopi website (much, much cheaper to order direct) and was pleased to see that the colour range had significantly expanded...in fact, am thinking I need a good warm jumper for the woods and Lopi wool certainly delivers on the warmth. Some nice purples and reds.

I've just finished a black cardi as I couldn't find one in the shops and so thought I would just get on and knit my own.

It's cosy but the shoulders are too tight which is annoying. I wish it was possible to go back and adjust. :(

I've just finished a black cardi as I couldn't find one in the shops and so thought I would just get on and knit my own.

It's cosy but the shoulders are too tight which is annoying. I wish it was possible to go back and adjust. :(
Is it not? What's the construction method, did you knit it in pieces and sew it together?

It was a pick up arms for raglan sleeves and knit. Then I picked up to do the edges. I could probably deconstruct, but tbh I want to get onto my next project.

Plus, I am not sure I'd know how to make it better.

I am wearing my cardi today and I've just noticed that on the edging, right where it sits on my boob so really obvious, I had obviously miscounted so the rib is out for six stitches.

Can't believe I didn't check before I cast off!!!! There isn't a way to switch the stitches once a thing is finished is there???!

I

Annoyingly, I have the opposite - miles too big around the yoke (which I couldn't check as it was top down, in the round). Think I am going to have to do a crossover fastening. Most upset as this is already my second attempt with this pricey yak wool.

Not knitted for ages, but have the sudden urge to make my girl a rainbow cardi :D

Does decent self-striping yarn often come in heavier weights than sock?

Not knitted for ages, but have the sudden urge to make my girl a rainbow cardi :D

Does decent self-striping yarn often come in heavier weights than sock?

Better to use actual different rainbow colours, IMO. I don't like the way self-striping works on different width pieces - so the stripes on the sleeves come out wider than the stripes on the body. There are self-striping DK yarns, but a bit acrylic I think.

Last edited:
I'm lazy though :oops:

I know you're right and I didn't think about the sleeve and body difference :facepalm:

King cole do some soft superwash stuff.

Yeah, it's a faff for tiny cardis. :D
Actually it might not be so bad on a cardi as a jumper, as the width of the front will be about the width of a sleeve. It's just the back that will be odd. (assuming you're knitting flat, not in the round)

Back
Top Bottom