Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Craft club topic of the month - knitting!

I decided to ignore the expensive yak wool disaster and bought a dozen cheerful King Cole DK merino balls to knit grand-daughter a rainbow cardigan. Enough moping around at the start of knitting season.
oooh, I would like to knit a rainbow cardigan, that sounds lovely! do you have a particular rainbow pattern or are you just *rainbowing* a plain cardi pattern?

oooh, I would like to knit a rainbow cardigan, that sounds lovely! do you have a particular rainbow pattern or are you just *rainbowing* a plain cardi pattern?

I am doing a top-down raglan cardigan - I find drop sleeves are always too bulky to fit inside coats. I get a bit bored with plain stripes so I am doing a mix of striped and colour work - Drops always come up with some good combinations and patterns but this is a DIY version. King Cole also used to do a terrific merino chunky yarn which seems to have vanished but the colours in DK are very good and the texture is crisp with good definition. I am about 4 inches into the yoke but now I have delivered grand-daughter back to her mum after half-term duty, I will probably motor onwards at high speed.

Ages ago, I sent off for 'How to knit your own cat'...and you have just inspired me, RubyT. Soon as the cardi is finished (only 3 inches of body left and sleeves), I am going to attempt a mackerel tabby (might use tapestry wool for the subtle colours).

Well if you do them bottom up you can just use any pattern that suits the gauge and keep knitting upwards . You'll need to put some increases in as you go up the leg.
It's been years since I knitted socks, they were nothing to write home about either!
Ideally I want a pattern I don't have to mess about with, I've been working my way through Knitty.com, there are so many to choose from! If none of them suit what I have in my yarn stash I shall follow your advice, thank you :)

Help required.

I knitting my OH a jumper last year and it went well. We saw someone with a moss stitche jumper on today and he likes it and I have been wanting to knit something in that so all good.

I'm thinking that rather than looking for another pattern I could just use the other jumper pattern but just do it in moss, after doing a swatch, obviously.

But he would prefer a V neck when previous jumper was round neck.

How do I make that happen, and any other tips for changing a pattern??

Help required.

I knitting my OH a jumper last year and it went well. We saw someone with a moss stitche jumper on today and he likes it and I have been wanting to knit something in that so all good.

I'm thinking that rather than looking for another pattern I could just use the other jumper pattern but just do it in moss, after doing a swatch, obviously.

But he would prefer a V neck when previous jumper was round neck.

How do I make that happen, and any other tips for changing a pattern??
1. Personally I'd just find another pattern.
2. Moss stitch is a pain in the arse to do any quantity of. It's really slow because you have to move the wool backwards or forwards between stitches the whole time.

1. Personally I'd just find another pattern.
2. Moss stitch is a pain in the arse to do any quantity of. It's really slow because you have to move the wool backwards or forwards between stitches the whole time.
My knitting corner is littered with partially completed moss stitch projects.

That's annoying. It looks so pretty though. I will do a swatch first and see how frustrated I get with it.

That's annoying. It looks so pretty though. I will do a swatch first and see how frustrated I get with it.

I've found if you really like the pattern you will persevere no matter what!
Your Argyle project was beautiful. IMO moss stitch is so much easier to do, if some what laborious.
As suggested I'd use a dedicated V neck pattern, you don't want to make things awkward for yourself.

Back
Top Bottom