Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban Chilli Lovers Club

how did that go?
Not well! I had plenty of seedlings come up, but they were all quite spindly and no more than a couple grew into weakly fruiting adult plants. I think my total crop of chillies this year was about 12, which is worse than last year.

Lesson learned - I was wrong to try and start them earlier as it seems to me the amount of light they receive as small seedlings is key to whether they grow into useful plants or not. I know people get around this with grow lamps, but I don’t have any and not keen to add the clutter / expense of such kit. Next year I’ll plant around mid-March I suppose. I’m not much of a gardener anyway. Chillies and coriander is about all I try to grow.

I have a bottle of hot sauce in the fridge that is something like 4,000,000 scoville units. I think it is starting to eat thru the glass. I tried it once and almost had to go to hospital

I’d like a try of that, what is it and where did you buy?

4 million's quite a few.

I once tried some (literally a drop the size of a matchstick head) of some 6 million and 12 million scoville sauce.

It was a pretty unpleasant experience :(

I thought they were more extracts at that strength? I tried one of them, did the bravado put it on my tongue thing and it was of course hot. However it left an unpleasant taste when I used it flavour food that wasn't just heat.

I tried some Dave's Insanity Sauce, iirc about 200 000 skv, was too hot and could ruin a good meal. Not for me.

A friends Grandmas Scotch Bonnet sauce homemade in Barbados was well nice though and very hot.

I nurtured 8 plants from seed and they appeared fruitless. I noted today that I now have one 1 inch chilli 🙄. Not sure if I should harvest now or see if it grows 😂😂

I nurtured 8 plants from seed and they appeared fruitless. I noted today that I now have one 1 inch chilli 🙄. Not sure if I should harvest now or see if it grows 😂😂
If you take care of them they may be ok for next year.

Should I be cutting my plants back now? One of the plucky fuckers had managed to grow a small red chili over Christmas! Someone told me I'm supposed to chop 2/3 off each plant in Feb.

I rather unsuccessfully grew some this year. I only got three. I picked one and bit off a large piece. I’d forgotten they were jalapeños. I was quickly reminded.

I plan to keep the seeds from the other two and try to grow them.

Last edited:
Looking back at my notes I see I began my chilli seeds a week ago last year, 7 Feb. Was way too early as it turned out, so I’ll aim for 7 March this year.

I did another batch of chilli sauce. Life got busy, so the chilli's were very well fermented by the time I got round to it. In the past I've just blended them with some of the water they fermented in, but it has a tendency to separate out quite quickly so needs a good shake before. This time I tried using some xanthan gum whilst blending. A little goes a long way, but it really does solve it. Also tried replacing some of them ferment water with cider vinegar and it adds a lovely fruity taste. :)

On the less good side my bright idea of throwing a few scotch bonnets in with mostly green chillis hasn't left it the best colour. :hmm:

IMG_20210309_180718.jpg

Back
Top Bottom