Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Please help me Urban! Wildly overpriced charge, trying to get it reduced.

I didnt agree to this price before hand. That’s the issue.

I agreed to the call out, the (possibly misheard) hiked cost of the lock at what I (mis) heard , and labour to do it.

50 + 65 + somewhere between 100-200
I thought you paid in advance?

I get your frustration, but for an emergency call out, outside of normal hours, to secure entry then supply and fit new locks, I'd have guessed about that. And, if you agreed to the price beforehand, I can't see you have a leg to stand on, now.

The original phone call was at 5:30. They said it was £50 for the call out. That’s why I was so relieved and agreed to engage their services.
That‘s obviously the bait, the extras come afterwards.

I thought you paid in advance?

No.
I was away from my house, the neighbour was dealing with it. They drilled out the lock. Then phoned me to ask IF I wanted a new lock installed. Quoted me three options, I went for the cheapest option which I HEARD as £65.

I authorised my neighbour to go ahead….

OH FuCK!

Wiriting this out has made me realise I’ve raised a dispute for when I paid my neighbour back….

Just now calling the bank to cancel the dispute.

I hate how my brain has deteriorated. I used to be good at this stuff

The original phone call was at 5:30. They said it was £50 for the call out. That’s why I was so relieved and agreed to engage their services.
That‘s obviously the bait, the extras come afterwards.
You originally said 1800, which is typically when 'out of hours' starts. But it's academic, since they're gonna waive it.

Last edited:
No.
I was away from my house, the neighbour was dealing with it. They drilled out the lock. Then phoned me to ask IF I wanted a new lock installed. Quoted me three options, I went for the cheapest option which I HEARD as £65.

OH FuCK!

Wiriting this out has made me realise I’ve raised a dispute for when I paid my neighbour back….

Anyway the point here is that they would have left the flat unlocked and insecure had I not paid them.

You originally said 1800, which is typically when 'out of hours' starts. But it's academic, drive they're gonna waive it.

The original call was at. 5:30. They took the call and said the locksmith would call me back. Which he did at 6:00

No.

OH FuCK!

Ah, I see, now. The neighbour paid; it was more than you'd anticipated; you've paid the neighbour back; you're looking for a refund. Honestly, I think it'll be a real uphill battle; I'd put it down to experience.

Ah, I see, now. The neighbour paid; it was more than you'd anticipated; you've paid the neighbour back; you're looking for a refund. Honestly, I think it'll be a real uphill battle; if put it down to experience.

I‘m not looking for a full refund. I engaged their services and they did the job.

I‘m saying that the charge was extortionate and I think they should refund a portion of the charge.

I hear what you’re saying and I also hold out little hope.

Personal info edited out.

Last edited:
I didnt agree to this price before hand. That’s the issue.

I agreed to the call out, the (possibly misheard) hiked cost of the lock at what I (mis) heard , and labour to do it.

50 + 65 + somewhere between 100-200
If you did mishear the cost of the lock, it could've been 50+165+as much as 200=415, which plus VAT at 20% would be £498. Which is actually more than they're saying, now, given they've waived the call out. You can try to push for a bit more of a refund, but, ultimately, other than appealing to their better nature, you don't have much leverage, sadly.

The only occasion I've had to call out a locksmith was when a very thin key broke in the lock.

Guy turned up, used two fine tools to pull out the broken key, took 30 seconds, charged me £75.00 and went on his way.

If I had my time again I'd be a sparky, a heating engineer or a locksmith.

If you did mishear the cost of the lock, it could've been 50+165+as much as 200=415, which plus VAT at 20% would be £498. Which is actually more than they're saying, now, given they've waived the call out. You can try to push for a bit more of a refund but, ultimately other than appealing to their better nature, you don't have much leverage, sadly.

I know you’re trying to help and I appreciate the time you’re putting in here but this is not accurate.

They did not quote the labour at this rate.

I was shocked by the final cost.

The neighbour was ALSO shocked at the final charge.

The only occasion I've had to call out a locksmith was when a very thin key broke in the lock.

Guy turned up, used two fine tools to pull out the broken key, took 30 seconds, charged me £75.00 and went on his way.

If I had my time again I'd be a sparky, a heating engineer or a locksmith.

How easy things have been for you is not helpful thanks

I know you’re trying to help and I appreciate the time you’re putting in here but this is not accurate.

They did not quote the labour at this rate.

I was shocked by the final cost.

The neighbour was ALSO shocked at the final charge.
That was the upper figure in your post!

I recently had to get an emergency locksmith on a couple of occasions at an office building I manage.

First one was a similar £50 call out + £125 to drill the lock (they didn't even try picking it, just turned up and reached for the drill) - I was really annoyed as I could have drilled it myself if I'd been present but was on the other side of town and thought they would have been able to get the existing key to work as the lock was just a bit stuck. I refused the offer of an overpriced replacement lock (£180ish) and bought one for £20 and replaced it myself.

The second one was an interior door lock (bathroom) and someone was locked inside around midnight - again I wasn't present but there was a £150ish charge to drill out the lock and free them. No replacement lock here either.

I'd say the locksmith is definitely charging on the high side, for the parts and especially the labour for installing the replacement lock which is usually v simple and quick in my limited experience.

I recently had to get an emergency locksmith on a couple of occasions at an office building I manage.

First one was a similar £50 call out + £125 to drill the lock (they didn't even try picking it, just turned up and reached for the drill) - I was really annoyed as I could have drilled it myself if I'd been present but was on the other side of town and thought they would have been able to get the existing key to work as the lock was just a bit stuck. I refused the offer of an overpriced replacement lock (£180ish) and bought one for £20 and replaced it myself.

The second one was an interior door lock (bathroom) and someone was locked inside around midnight - again I wasn't present but there was a £150ish charge to drill out the lock and free them. No replacement lock here either.

I'd say the locksmith is definitely charging on the high side, for the parts and especially the labour for installing the replacement lock which is usually v simple and quick in my limited experience.

If I hadn’t been obliged to be elsewhere at the time I would have done any number of things other than call out a locksmith

It’s probably a huge overcharge cos this Andrew Rosu person is charging his army of locksmiths a huge “agency” type fee

This is an issue with the bill for an emergency locksmith.

So I got locked out. I tried to break in but couldn’t do so without breaking stuff. Spare key was indoors because reasons.

I also couldn’t hang around, had to be elsewhere for the evening for unavoidable reasons.

So my lovely neighbours stepped in to help by being available for the locksmith.

Locksmith then phoned me a couple of times for permission to break in, and replace the lock.

All good.

But the charge has somehow escalated to £532.80

I‘ve asked for a breakdown and they’ve offered me a £50 discount.

I know emergency locksmiths cost a lot but this seems really steep.

The call out was at 6:00 pm

So my questions are:

When you had to pay for an emergency locksmith how much did they charge you?

Is this a reasonable charge?

Should I take the £50 or pursue them for a larger discount?

I’ll post the invoice and their email offer after this.

Thank you Urban x
My locksmith comes around changes all the front and back locks on the house and charges me 90 quid

And he gives me the barrels and keys back so next time I need them changing I just swap the old ones back in

I’d tell this thieving chancer to fuck right off

story, I've just spoken to a mate that's high up in the Master Locksmiths Association, they have been lobbying the government to regulate the sector for some years, so I would always look to use a MLA member myself - too late in this case, but worth everyone remembering for the future.

As soon as I mentioned what you had been charged & that you are in London, he said straight off "you're are going to tell me it's 'My London Locksmiths' aren't you?", apparently they are well known to the MLA as rip-off merchants, and are used as their main example of why the sector needs to be regulated when lobbying government.

He said in London, just out of hours, he would expect a MLA member to charge double the daytime call-out charge, so £75x2 = £150, which would cover the time on the job too, plus the cost of the lock, somewhere between £25-£50 absolute maximum, so total £200 + Vat = £240.

He begs you to complain to Trading Standards, the MLA want as many people as possible to complain about dodgy locksmiths, as it will help the MLA lobbying efforts.

He agreed with me that it's possible a demand for a 50% refund under threat of County Court action is probably the only option open to you, the threat itself could work, if not, personally I would gamble the £35 charge to issue a CC summon via Money Claim Online - IME, out of 6 summons I've issued over the years none were contested, 5 were pay straight away or when default judgement was made.

The other was totally ignored, but as it was over £600 I could escalate it to the High Court, so I had High Court Enforcement Officers clamp his company car until he paid up, cheeky fucker called me a few months later wanting me to do more work for him, my reply involved two words, and the second one was 'off'.

It's not particularly helpful except as another example, but I had 2 x normal (not security) cabinet locks and bolts put on, during normal business hours and it cost me £264. The work was dire as well, rubbing salt in the wound. It's a PITA innit :( :mad:

Okay so I’m being the idiot here.
I don't think you've been an idiot. I just think you've paid over the odds, with very little you can do about it that doesn't involve further expense and/or grief. If it was me, I'd push for a bit more off - maybe ask for another 100, in the hope of getting another 50 - but, if not, take it on the chin.

And as you have a home address send him a turd in the post.

Or do cupid stunts stuff if you have the energy. And send him a turd in the post.

Many years ago, when CB radio was a big thing & still illegal, one GPO engineer was a bit too keen on busting home based CBers, so one smashed his living room window with half a paving slab.

The next day, various CBers were using call-signs like 'half a paving slab', 'flying paving slab', 'I want my paving slab back', etc.

Whilst I didn't approve of the action, someone could have been seriously injured, the chaos on air the next day was funny as fuck.

Wow. I recently had to get a guy out on a sunday afternoon. It cost me £160 which I was pretty unhappy about. That's insane. I feel a bit about having a go at him now for it. That's central London btw.

Wow. I recently had to get a guy out on a sunday afternoon. It cost me £160 which I was pretty unhappy about. That's insane. I feel a bit about having a go at him now for it. That's central London btw.

Yup, I had to get an emergency lock done, drilled out and replaced (and he had to climb over a fence to get to it) and it was definitely significantly less than £200. Central London too, and about four years ago. This really isn't a normal charge and it's a bit weird that anyone's justifying it.

You're right. The money to open the door and the labour charge are essentially the same thing. They've charged you twice.
Unfortunately a good argument doesn't guarantee a refund :(

Looks like opening the door and installing the new lock are two separate labour charges. Not how I'd run a business but there it is.

story, I've just spoken to a mate that's high up in the Master Locksmiths Association, they have been lobbying the government to regulate the sector for some years, so I would always look to use a MLA member myself - too late in this case, but worth everyone remembering for the future.

As soon as I mentioned what you had been charged & that you are in London, he said straight off "you're are going to tell me it's 'My London Locksmiths' aren't you?", apparently they are well known to the MLA as rip-off merchants, and are used as their main example of why the sector needs to be regulated when lobbying government.

He said in London, just out of hours, he would expect a MLA member to charge double the daytime call-out charge, so £75x2 = £150, which would cover the time on the job too, plus the cost of the lock, somewhere between £25-£50 absolute maximum, so total £200 + Vat = £240.

He begs you to complain to Trading Standards, the MLA want as many people as possible to complain about dodgy locksmiths, as it will help the MLA lobbying efforts.

He agreed with me that it's possible a demand for a 50% refund under threat of County Court action is probably the only option open to you, the threat itself could work, if not, personally I would gamble the £35 charge to issue a CC summon via Money Claim Online - IME, out of 6 summons I've issued over the years none were contested, 5 were pay straight away or when default judgement was made.

The other was totally ignored, but as it was over £600 I could escalate it to the High Court, so I had High Court Enforcement Officers clamp his company car until he paid up, cheeky fucker called me a few months later wanting me to do more work for him, my reply involved two words, and the second one was 'off'.

Thanks for this cupid_stunt

I‘m minded to write out some version of this and send it to Mr Andrew Rosu as a first step.

50 quid just feels derisory. And actually a bit stupid of him. Had he offered me 100 I might have felt grateful and accepted his “kind and generous offer”

Back
Top Bottom