Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Craft club topic of the month - knitting!

It's not too bad actually. They aren't getting too tangled at the moment and are staying in order pretty well.

Very slow though. I'm on about 20 minutes a row!
Tbf that is a bastard design. It's not quite enough frequent colour changes to work well as fairisle, and not quite isolated enough areas to work well as intarsia.

Personally I think I'd do the white bits fairisle across the black bits (ie one strand of white per black diamond rather than two).

Yep, I would twist the strands across the back every 3rd stitch as if doing FairIsle. I have gone 5 stitches without a twist but you do have to watch the tension. I absolutely hate intarsia (doing it, that is)

The pattern was pretty crap for the arms and I had finished it all off and then had to unpick and unravel a load as the top of the sleeves stuck up about an inch. I'm quite proud that I was able to do it actually, as at one point I thought it would be four months of work buggered.

Only just seen this Me... it's brilliant! :cool:

I really must start my red jumper soon :oops:

Made these over the weekend...

29213504242_20c53f7436.jpg

Only just seen this Me... it's brilliant! :cool:

I really must start my red jumper soon :oops:

Made these over the weekend...

29213504242_20c53f7436.jpg
They look well cozy.

I am making a hat fora christmas pressie for my friend at the moment and then I am going to try some fingerless gloves. Not sure whether they will be for me or presents.

I like those a lot, BiddlyBee - caught sight of my Noro scarf - which I love almost enough to wish an early autumn.
Sigh, I am still looking at my almost completed yakwool Estonian fairisle...thing. From last winter. I changed patterns midstream but the bottom half (most of the fairisle) looks lovely but the top is way too baggy. the whole thing is too short and I just cannot face unravelling it (again)...and have been utterly unable to allow myself any more yarn as this lot cost a fortune. It is going to take a massive hack and even involve scary stuff like steeking...plus, not sure how best to unravel from the top...grrr, frozen. Not quite knitting weather yet but this is going to haunt me unless decisive action is taken (like binning).

Since I finished my argyle jumoer, which I haven't had a chance to wear yet because it's been too warm, I have knitted a hat for a friend as a Christmas present and have started on some fingerless gloves that might be for me or a present.

Doing smaller things is good as I don't feel pressure about them.

I like those a lot, BiddlyBee - caught sight of my Noro scarf - which I love almost enough to wish an early autumn.
Sigh, I am still looking at my almost completed yakwool Estonian fairisle...thing. From last winter. I changed patterns midstream but the bottom half (most of the fairisle) looks lovely but the top is way too baggy. the whole thing is too short and I just cannot face unravelling it (again)...and have been utterly unable to allow myself any more yarn as this lot cost a fortune. It is going to take a massive hack and even involve scary stuff like steeking...plus, not sure how best to unravel from the top...grrr, frozen. Not quite knitting weather yet but this is going to haunt me unless decisive action is taken (like binning).
I only looked up steeking the other day after reading about it. It looks scary.

it's finally happened - I have done a tension square and it doesn't match what it's supposed to - it's too big! I need to go down a needle size. my question is this - do you just choose the next needle size down and just go for it? or do you bother with another tension square? I used 3.25mm needles, so do I go to 3mm? or 2.75mm? I have neither of these so need to buy them in...

it's finally happened - I have done a tension square and it doesn't match what it's supposed to - it's too big! I need to go down a needle size. my question is this - do you just choose the next needle size down and just go for it? or do you bother with another tension square? I used 3.25mm needles, so do I go to 3mm? or 2.75mm? I have neither of these so need to buy them in...

If it's not too big and your not knitting anything fitted I think if you knitted slightly tighter you may get away with it...best scenario though is to get the smaller needles, I'd go for 3mm.

I was going to knit this for my cousin for Christmas....probably end up with it myself though :facepalm:
Open Front Shrug | Red Heart

If it's not too big and your not knitting anything fitted I think if you knitted slightly tighter you may get away with it...best scenario though is to get the smaller needles, I'd go for 3mm.

I was going to knit this for my cousin for Christmas....probably end up with it myself though :facepalm:
Open Front Shrug | Red Heart
Thank you! It's a cardi, hat and booties for a new baby so not terribly important I suppose!

I usually go down .5mm and do another tension square, and repeat till it's right - too many ill-fitting disasters in my knitting career!

I think I'd manage tighter tension for the booties and maybe the hat at a push, but as said, once in the flow of knitting the cardi I'd probably end up with something Morticia Addams had knitted!
It's always best to do the right sized tension square AND use decent wool, it may seem tempting to cut costs on bargain specials, but you're only wasting your time in the long run.

I'd say they were virtually identical, apart from the stripes, obviously :D - both stocking stitch, both top down raglan sleeves, both 2x2 rib.

You could add 2 or 3 extra rows of rib to the first ones neckline if you didn't like the wider opening, at the same time knitting together 2 stitches every few stitches to keep the shape flat.
Sorry, not sure how to adjust the 2nd one.

Sorry, my writing was terrible in the last post - I'd prefer a smaller neckline than the first pattern. I'll have a proper read through later.

Maybe I could start off a couple of sizes below, for a smaller neckline, but carry on with the raglan pattern until it reaches the size for the age I want... would that work? :hmm:

Possibly...but better to subtract the extra stitches of a couple more rows of raglan increase (is it top down?) so that the proportions stay the same...unless the smaller size is actually a multiple of 4 stitches less. Raglan necklines are very flexible though and can be jiggled about without too much change. What are the cast on numbers for both sizes?

I'm going to have to read that a few times for it to make sense :oops:
What are the cast on numbers for both sizes?
I'm not sure because one of the patterns isn't free :D Maybe I should keep looking until I find a style I like, then just make it stripy.

She's said she wants a poncho now, even though I don't think she knows what a poncho is :D

Back
Top Bottom