Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Craft club topic of the month - knitting!

So thin cable cardi finished and worn in the wild. Thanks for the help.

I am definitely going to use provisional cast on that Ruby mentioned for everything I do that's bottom up in the future. I picked up the sleeves on this as although I added length to the pattern, it wasn't enough to cover my tattoo. So I picked up stitches and knitted down, but there is a noticeable line on the sleeves where I did it.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441836152.916230.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1441836165.246298.jpg

Is there a way of knitting with two different balls of wool and holding both wools in your hand at the same time? I'm knitting rib of k2 p2 in two different colours and I'm having to pick up the different colours every 2 stitches :mad:
I'm sure there must be a way of wrapping different wool round different fingers but I can't seem to do it.
Biddlybee moose RubyToogood

Is there a way of knitting with two different balls of wool and holding both wools in your hand at the same time? I'm knitting rib of k2 p2 in two different colours and I'm having to pick up the different colours every 2 stitches :mad:
I'm sure there must be a way of wrapping different wool round different fingers but I can't seem to do it.
Biddlybee moose RubyToogood
So are you doing k2 in one colour and p2 in the other? That's reasonably easy. Harder to explain than to do probably - you have the front wool round your index finger and the back wool round your middle finger (same hand).

So are you doing k2 in one colour and p2 in the other? That's reasonably easy. Harder to explain than to do probably - you have the front wool round your index finger and the back wool round your middle finger (same hand).
Cheers Ruby, I am doing K2 one colour and P2 another colour so I'll try that, I knew there must be a way. :)

I got a compliment on a jumper I made yesterday. And then with them saying they couldn't believe I'd made it myself. That was nice :)

At the moment I am making a jumper for the OH for Christmas, but I really want to be making a scarf for myself. :(

Hello people. So I am still totally addicted to knitting and currently working on a jumper for the OH for Christmas and a scarf for me.

I am also thinking about my next project and am going to take the step into colour work. So I thought I would ask people for tips and things to bear in mind prior to buying a load of yarn and committing to a project.

I have a few patterns in mind.

Ravelry: Your Victory Jumper pattern by Home Notes

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/le-lapin-noir

Ravelry: Floral Jumper pattern by Patons UK

So what do I need to look out for and bear in mind.
I'm planning to do some testing before I do start but anything you experienced people can share will be very helpful.

I've only ever done intarsia... there's lots of detangling to be done, even if you make up smaller bobbins of each colour, but end result was good.

Pattern wise, on ravelry always check to see how the other projects have turned out.

I find getting the tension right with fairisle really hard, even twisting every few stitches.

I lied up there then :oops: I knitted a small fairisle panel last year :D

if you were knitting a sock pattern, and the size was given in circumference.... which bit of your foot would you measure? I'm assuming around the middle foot bit? but if so, means I need a large! which is a bit off as I'm only a sz 5. It's my first time knitting socks!

Many sock patterns are the same measurement round the ankle as round the foot, so i'd measure the middle part of your foot as it's ok for the sock to stretch slightly over the widest part, then sense check it by measuring around the ankle about 6 inches above the bottom of the heel.

if you were knitting a sock pattern, and the size was given in circumference.... which bit of your foot would you measure? I'm assuming around the middle foot bit? but if so, means I need a large! which is a bit off as I'm only a sz 5. It's my first time knitting socks!
Is it just in circumference or is it circumference and length? Circumference is an unreliable guide to length imo as it doesn't vary much, but length is a reliable guide to circumference iyswim. I have only used patterns which vary in length.

Does anyone know what the point of a mobius cowl is? I'm knitting a cowl at the moment, lengthwise, ie it's just a scarf atm but I'm going to graft the ends together. I'm wondering whether to make it a mobius strip and what the advantages if any are.

The length you can just work out as you knit, don't worry about that.

Does anyone know what the point of a mobius cowl is? I'm knitting a cowl at the moment, lengthwise, ie it's just a scarf atm but I'm going to graft the ends together. I'm wondering whether to make it a mobius strip and what the advantages if any are.
Its effectively double thickness so is a little warmer than a normal cowl. I've just made one as my scarf for this winter, I do like it, I like normal cowls too though.

Its effectively double thickness so is a little warmer than a normal cowl. I've just made one as my scarf for this winter, I do like it, I like normal cowls too though.
How does introducing a half twist make it double thickness? :confused:

I'm making it long so it's a double loop anyway.

What spare bits?
Can't quite see the point of a mobius strip scarf (but daughter rabidly disagrees)
Way back in spring, I spent shedloads of money on yak wool to knit a little cardigan...which is still missing the final sleeve having ground to an complete stop. There is a minuscule mistake in the lace neckline which, although not terribly noticeable to anyone else, practically screams failure to me...and I have been unable to complete the project and, in fact, now hate the design, neckline eyelets and so on...yet am also completely unable to yank the entire thing off the needles and start again (it took months). Only the killing expense is keeping me from binning the entire thing. As my completion record is summat like 16 years, I have no hopes that this impasse will come to an end anytime soon. Hopeless.

What spare bits?
Can't quite see the point of a mobius strip scarf (but daughter rabidly disagrees)
Way back in spring, I spent shedloads of money on yak wool to knit a little cardigan...which is still missing the final sleeve having ground to an complete stop. There is a minuscule mistake in the lace neckline which, although not terribly noticeable to anyone else, practically screams failure to me...and I have been unable to complete the project and, in fact, now hate the design, neckline eyelets and so on...yet am also completely unable to yank the entire thing off the needles and start again (it took months). Only the killing expense is keeping me from binning the entire thing. As my completion record is summat like 16 years, I have no hopes that this impasse will come to an end anytime soon. Hopeless.
Solidarity, sister.

Where is the mistake, near the beginning?

I had a phase of zero tolerance of my mistakes, but have now become more zen about things that aren't really noticeable.

at the beginning - of course, Ruby. In truth, I could manage to ignore that one but a cock-up on the sleeve really killed it for me - in plain stocking st. so the unevenness shrieks. I vaguely contemplated unravelling the sleeve, leaving the body intact (one of those with no seams, top down cardies) but have since decided I also hate the style - a little cropped top thing which was lovely for summer but now...less so. I might just try adding a flared peplum addition - I have some spare wool anyway- and would buy some grey (the main colour is a soft red (Lang yak) so an alpaca/silk/merino mix would hang OK. I am already a slow knitter - can take weeks and weeks and rarely use needles smaller than 3.75mm. Sigh.

After looking around on this thread, I am feeling that winter wool fever stirring but have forbade myself from buying yarn till I have decided what to do with the red yak wool...and I think I have a genius solution. Unable to bring myself to brutally rip the cardigan (['Miette': Ravelry - only a tiny cropped one at that - should be ashamed)...I am knitting it back as I am starting over with a different cardigan (adding in some grey and cream baby alpaca, so it's off one needle and on to another, one row at a time. After I have got the yoke done, should be brave and enthused enough to just frog the rest.

I have been knitting in public for the first time today. This has made me realise how much I use the sofa and that my lap is too small to keep everything on it.

Pom-poms disaster. Can anyone tell me a sure fire easy way to make pom-poms?
I made some a couple of years ago but can't remember exactly how and my attempt just now collapsed all over the floor :(

I make mine like this, but mine come out neater than his :D I also cram more wool in, so they're more dense.

Last edited:
Thanks. This is how we did them whenI was at junior school but I did a cheat way last time. Seeing as I made an arse earlier I'll do it this way again. :D
I didn't think of cutting a length of wool and thought I had remembered wrong as a ball of wool wouldn't go through the middle hole :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom