Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Craft club topic of the month - knitting!

This is for the neckline. Is there going to be more for the boobs?! Why not just increases and decreases? I need to look at the pattern tomorrow.
I meant in general, if you have a pattern for a jumper that you like that looks like it's been designed for someone with a smaller chest than your there are formulas out there to amend the pattern and make it fit better using short rows. It's the knitting equivalent of adding a dart in sewing. Increasing the number of stitches doesn't behave in the same way, the short rows help with adding length to the centre of the garment to go over the breasts.

I’ve read the pattern and there seem to be short rows on the back in the boob area?!
Looking at the picture I'd wager they use them to shape the shoulder drop so you don't get a pleat at the front and back of the shoulder joint when your arms are down and to avoid it slipping off the shoulders.

It’s Noro Ito so it was quite expensive :( I think I’m just feeling uninspired.
Me too. On my third stripey jumper - Noro Ito and Silk Garden, Noro Ito and Malabrigo Worsted and finally Ito and a discontinued yarn, Noro Kama. Persevere. What size needles are you using. I have changed up from 4.50mm to 5.50mm and find it is much better. What are you making? I also have 2 more balls for a Nightshift shawl (I bought it from Wool Warehouse just as it went on sale, so got each ball for just over 20quid. Still spendy though.

I have been doing that 2 stripe with each yarn thing so the stripes are more structured but the colours are still very free flowing. I have really enjoyed this little Noro craze but will also be glad to get back to 4ply on teeny needles..
I prefer German Short rows but I have to look up the method every time I use it.

Me too. On my third stripey jumper - Noro Ito and Silk Garden, Noro Ito and Malabrigo Worsted and finally Ito and a discontinued yarn, Noro Kama. Persevere. What size needles are you using. I have changed up from 4.50mm to 5.50mm and find it is much better. What are you making? I also have 2 more balls for a Nightshift shawl (I bought it from Wool Warehouse just as it went on sale, so got each ball for just over 20quid. Still spendy though.

I have been doing that 2 stripe with each yarn thing so the stripes are more structured but the colours are still very free flowing. I have really enjoyed this little Noro craze but will also be glad to get back to 4ply on teeny needles..
I prefer German Short rows but I have to look up the method every time I use it.
The pattern calls for 5.5mm needles and that’s what I’m using. I wouldn’t want to use any smaller.

Have redone the wraps and turns and it’s working perfectly. I’ve got the right number of stitches this time.

I've managed 6 rows and found it really difficult. It's a huge change for me using the circular needles. I felt completely de-skilled for the first row or two as holding the needles is so weird to me. I'm used to the stability of one needle under my arm.

I'm slowly figuring out how to make it work but it's difficult and feels horrible. The wire and the work all mangled up is making me crazy. Easing the stitches along is a battle. I've no idea what my tension/neatness is going to be like. It feels all over the place.

But I shall persevere!!
Do your circulars have a little kink just before the cable (Clover, Prym) or are they straight (if a little shorter than whatyou are used to (Addi, Knitpro)? I find the bent ones really annoying - have to position them just so whereas the straight needles have a much better flow. Do experiment if you can (I can pop some in the post if you have only one sort). As with all tools, comfort and ease of handling is paramount - not all are the same and you may find you are happier with one sort over another.

Feels odd, going onto straight needles for me, after so long using circulars...however, I draw the line at those ridiculously short sock ones with a longer and shorter needles (both of which are still miles too short for comfort). And there are even weirder ones (for socks again), which use some very oddly shaped needles indeed

Do your circulars have a little kink just before the cable (Clover, Prym) or are they straight (if a little shorter than whatyou are used to (Addi, Knitpro)? I find the bent ones really annoying - have to position them just so whereas the straight needles have a much better flow. Do experiment if you can (I can pop some in the post if you have only one sort). As with all tools, comfort and ease of handling is paramount - not all are the same and you may find you are happier with one sort over another.

Feels odd, going onto straight needles for me, after so long using circulars...however, I draw the line at those ridiculously short sock ones with a longer and shorter needles (both of which are still miles too short for comfort). And there are even weirder ones (for socks again), which use some very oddly shaped needles indeed
That's very kind of you! But I'm getting more comfortable with them now - Ive got Knitpro needles. I'd still prefer straight needles with one under my arm but it's habit isn't it?

I've bought a new much shorter circular needle and it's A LOT better now it's all under control. I think my tension is looking fine and it's going OK!

Last edited:
That's very kind of you! But I'm getting more comfortable with them now - Ive got Knitpro needles. I'd still prefer straight needles with one under my arm but it's habit isn't it?

I've bought a new much shorter circular needle and it's A LOT better now it's all under control. I think my tension is looking fine and it's going OK!
I've got the KnitPro interchangeable set, so you can keep changing the length of cable as you increase/decrease stitches during the work. Makes it a lot more manageable. I wouldn't go back to straight needles now except for knitting socks or cuffs on 4 x double-pointed.

I've got the KnitPro interchangeable set, so you can keep changing the length of cable as you increase/decrease stitches during the work. Makes it a lot more manageable. I wouldn't go back to straight needles now except for knitting socks or cuffs on 4 x double-pointed.
That sounds like a good investment if I keep on with the knitting. I've bought 2 new ones before I got the size right.

Mrs Miggins
Your work is so beautiful and neat, congratulations for persevering with the circulars. It is well worth it.
Can you tell me what pattern you are using please, I can hear the needles calling me again :D
Thank you very much! It's almost finished. I've just got to sew up the ends to make it into a shrug.

I preferred the way it looked before I blocked it to be honest. And it's not as big as it should be which is a shame. I didn't do a tension square so that's my fault. But I think it's still going to be OK.

Anyway. Here is a link to the pattern:

Back
Top Bottom