Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Craft club topic of the month - knitting!

Thanks RubyToogood

I want to do more knitting and circular needles is all part of upping my knitting game! Eventually, I'd love to do one of those incredible Scandinavian jumpers but that's way beyond me at the moment.

It's bloody complicated this lace knitting but I'm really enjoying learning and thank god for YouTube!!
Will say this -if you can manage lace knitting, you will cope with colourwork in your sleep. I nearly always do stranded colourwork and have to say it is exactly as easy as straightforward stocking stitch except you have 2 (or even 3 or 4 ) strands of wool at the same time,which you simply carry round the back. Honestly,a Fairisle jumper is far easier than the lace number you are working on at the moment.

Will say this -if you can manage lace knitting, you will cope with colourwork in your sleep. I nearly always do stranded colourwork and have to say it is exactly as easy as straightforward stocking stitch except you have 2 (or even 3 or 4 ) strands of wool at the same time,which you simply carry round the back. Honestly,a Fairisle jumper is far easier than the lace number you are working on at the moment.
Thanks campanula that's really good to know. Makes me feel quite confident in my ability for future knits 😊

I've been trying to teach myself to knit continental style so I can do colourwork two-handed but I keep rage quitting after a few rows of shonky stocking stitch :oops:

I've been trying to teach myself to knit continental style so I can do colourwork two-handed but I keep rage quitting after a few rows of shonky stocking stitch :oops:
It took me about a year (altho' I only knit in winter). Definitely don't do more than a few stitches, working up to a whole row after a few months. I started holding my left index finger erect, with the yarn tensioned around it (and my little finger) but now I am not fighting the yarn, I relaxed into a much closer style. I think you have to do this quite slowly. Feeling comfortable and maintaining an even tension, came in fits and starts. While I cracked the technique very quickly, it took the longest time to actually relax enough so my fingers weren't knackered after half a row. I cannot say enough how worthwhile it has been to persevere...so much that I am thinking of trying a finger ring to hold 2 strands in my left and changing to all continental for colourwork. Purl has defeated me though, so it's still only good for stocking stitch in the round.

It took me about a year (altho' I only knit in winter). Definitely don't do more than a few stitches, working up to a whole row after a few months. <snip> I cannot say enough how worthwhile it has been to persevere...
Cheers, that's encouraging.

I'm away for the next fortnight with a few looong train journeys planned and I've brought some sock yarn, so I might try and just do the odd few stitches in the cuff ribbing at the start and then I can crack on knitting properly once I've lost patience.

I find colourwork pretty hard and lace pretty easy. I think it varies person to person.
Why is that. do you think, Nottsgirl? Is it a tension issue? What I find hard about lacework is seeing what I have just stitched and how it fits into the bigger pattern whereas the different colours in stranded knitting tend to obviate my uncertainty. Without numerous lifelines and, of course, some sort of pattern, I am lost with lace (and cables give me grief too but I can at least see where I am at a bit more easily). I have always done colourwork cos for me, it really is all about the colours (have never knitted a single garment in one single colour!) And am rubbish with patterns, getting along with a basic knowledge of clothing construction from sewing.

I find lacy really difficult because I lose my place in the pattern and can't unpick it easily! Colour work is much more intuitive for me.
As for nottsgirl, lace should come naturally for someone from those parts :D

I find lace quite logical, it’s mostly simple stitches. Colourwork makes my brain hurt which is annoying because I far prefer the look of colourwork. I don’t wear shawls or anything which is a nice way to knit lace. I also hate cabling. campanula it could well be a tension issue. I am quite a tight knitter which I have just accepted but maybe that makes cables and colourwork difficult.

You’ve both inspired me, I’m going to get good at colourwork.

I find lace quite logical, it’s mostly simple stitches. Colourwork makes my brain hurt which is annoying because I far prefer the look of colourwork. I don’t wear shawls or anything which is a nice way to knit lace. I also hate cabling. campanula it could well be a tension issue. I am quite a tight knitter which I have just accepted but maybe that makes cables and colourwork difficult.

You’ve both inspired me, I’m going to get good at colourwork.
If you do have another go at colourwork, avoid those Fairisle patterns which include motifs which can stretch over 12, 20, 30 stitches and as many rows. Have a look at very simple geometric patterns with colour changes every 2 or 3 stitches. You can get into aa very relaxed counting mode (2, 3, 2, 3, 2, 3...or 1, 2, 1, 2, and so on). Something like this:
Inspira Cowl pattern by Mesa rock - a terrific use of scrap yarn too.
Also, not all yarns are equal - for stranded knits, you really want a yarn which has some grip and stickiness...such as a Shetland wool (see Jamiesons of Scotland, or Smith & Jamiesons). A cotton or silk yarn will slip around, making it hard to maintain an even tension. Before you know it, you will be even considering steeking with no dread! Have fun.

Even better, have a look at mosaic knitting, which uses slip stitches and also works out a colour change over 2 rows, so you are only working with i colour at a time. I am,admittedly, a bit idle and rarely venture forth out of my comfort zone (cos yarn is spendy) but I have managed to get through an entire lifetime of knitting without ever feeling the need to learn intricate lace stitches, or bobbles and cables...would only get my fingers caught or snag myself on rose prickles.

I've managed 6 rows and found it really difficult. It's a huge change for me using the circular needles. I felt completely de-skilled for the first row or two as holding the needles is so weird to me. I'm used to the stability of one needle under my arm.

I'm slowly figuring out how to make it work but it's difficult and feels horrible. The wire and the work all mangled up is making me crazy. Easing the stitches along is a battle. I've no idea what my tension/neatness is going to be like. It feels all over the place.

But I shall persevere!!

Last edited:
I've managed 6 rows and found it really difficult. It's a huge change for me using the circular needles. I felt completely de-skilled for the first row or two as holding the needles is so weird to me. I'm used to the stability of one needle under my arm.

I'm slowly figuring out how to make it work but it's difficult and feels horrible. The wire and the work all mangled up is making me crazy. Easing the stitches along is battle. I've no idea what my tension/neatness is going to be like. It feels all over the place.

But I shall persevere!!
It will get better, especially once you have some rows behind you. When there's a bit more weight on the cable it stops wobbling all over the place.

Make sure you aren't amusing one that's too long either. It's not a deal breaker but the more spare cable you have the more it twists which is an annoyance.

It will get better, especially once you have some rows behind you. When there's a bit more weight on the cable it stops wobbling all over the place.

Make sure you aren't amusing one that's too long either. It's not a deal breaker but the more spare cable you have the more it twists which is an annoyance.
The one I've got is too long and I can see this is making it harder. Not massively too long but enough to make a difference. I've ordered a shorter one from The Evil Empire that will come tomorrow so I can transfer it.

The pattern didn't specify circular needle so I just used the one I happened to have.

It's all learning which is all good and although I have found it hard this afternoon, I am enjoying challenging myself.

It's also taking me a long time because I'm marking out the pattern repeat on every row with stitch markers which seems like a lot of faff but has already saved my life several times. I wouldn't have got as far as I have without doing that.

Last edited:
Does anyone understand wrap and turns? The instructions on the pattern differ from the video I’ve found on YouTube, but there are no instructions on how to pick up the wraps, and I’m not sure my YouTube method works with their method for wrap and turns. Instructions below. Do they look right?

Attachments

• IMG_2884.jpeg
    IMG_2884.jpeg
    182 KB · Views: 4
Is it difficult this wrap and turn thing? I've found something I like the look of and the pattern includes that.

Screenshot_20240418_065140_Samsung Internet.jpg

Back
Top Bottom