Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Craft club topic of the month - knitting!

I have overdyed most of the yarn which had been dyed with plants. I started with Wilton food colouring gel on several skeins and mini-skeins and also bought a handful of acid dyes. I have to admit to being a bit disgruntled with 'natural' dyes, whereas acid dyes are reliable, versatile, easy to use in any quantity. I am knitting a pair of replacement gloves for my daughter (after collie-related destruction of original pair), so I split and dyed a 100 gr of Blue-face Leicester 4ply into 6 mini-skeins. As a skein of undyed Corriedale dk can be had for just over a fiver (from World of Wool ), I am going to have to be strict with myself.

Long time since I've been here... need to pick up my needles again and get a baby blanket made by Feb.

Can anyone recommend a soft washable baby friendly yarn that doesn't bobble? :hmm:

Last one I made I used knitpicks comfy, which is so soft and machine washable, but bobbles.

I have been using a lot of Blue-Faced -Leicester (but have been buying undyed yarn and dyeing it myself). It is a lovely soft yarn, - not as fine as merino, but does not bobble (even though it has quite a long staple length) Nice and bouncy yet very durable. Really is my favourite British wool. I think it is available in superwash from West Yorkshire Spinners (who, I think, also have a range of BFL in various thicknesses and colours).

Heya, knitters . Knitting season again. I have officially abandoned the natural dyeing...but am fully invested in using acid dyes. A really simple and versatile way of colouring yarn - have done loads of low-immersion dyeing in a skillet, using a mix of different (but related) colours. I have already mentioned World of Wool, where I have been working my way through their range of undyed yarns. I absolutely must reveal the beautiful Polworth DK yarn. For less than £7, you can get 100 grammes of the softest, sheeniest wool...which manages to be incredibly soft yet lacking that fluffy halo (which, inevitably blobs and pills). They also do a BFL sock weight which is a bit thicker than 4ply (and is likely to be a contender for the flurry of baby knitting in my future. Daughter has announced her second on the way, so I expect my needles will be on fire.

After my hood making last year, (I made 2), I am going to make this for my daughter-in-law (the only keen wearer of my knitting, apart from sweetheart). She is also not dissimilar to myself, inasmuch as we both have a liking for clothing which is verging a bit on cosplay (cloaks, hoods, shawls and such...in many colours). I have already dyed the wool (purples, russet, deep pinks and a coupla shades of green). After the long drawn out torture of sweetheart's latest jumper, I am really looking forward to knitting fiddly leaves and berries. Will attempt pics using my webcam (I have only lately realised that my laptop has such a thing).
Did you find some nice yarn, Biddlybee ?

I thought I'd replied, sorry. Blue faced Leicester is such a nice wool, but my hands can't handle knitting with it. They couldn't last time I tried anyway, maybe the superwash is worth a go.

I went with Drops Big Merino, it's very soft and I'm coping doing short stints and I don't think it bobbles too much. I'm not halfway through yet and only got two weeks :facepalm:

i don't often pop in here but have a quick question - what's the best online wool shop that does gift vouchers? any recommendations very much appreciated.

Hello knitters! I'd like to ask for some advice. Apologies in advance for the long post!

I'm a competent, straightforward knitter. I don't do it often but I have been doing it all my life so I'm not new to the game, but I have never made anything more complicated than a moss stitch jumper.

I'm teaching myself lace knitting and it's going well and I've picked a project. I'm practicing the lace pattern and the stitches I'll need but the shrug I've chosen to make is knitted in 1 big piece and requires 147 stitches to be cast on. This seems like a lot for standard length needles.

Do I need to buy longer than standard knitting needles?
Should I use circular needles? This would require learning another new skill on top of what I'm already attempting. The pattern doesn't say circular needles.

Should I just pick a new starting project?? I've chosen this because it doesn't require any shaping. It's just one big rectangle.

It's never quite as easy as it seems is it??

Anyway - this is the thing I'm going to try to make. It's worsted weight yarn.
Screenshot_20240329_232847_Samsung Internet.jpg

Hello knitters! I'd like to ask for some advice. Apologies in advance for the long post!

I'm a competent, straightforward knitter. I don't do it often but I have been doing it all my life so I'm not new to the game, but I have never made anything more complicated than a moss stitch jumper.

I'm teaching myself lace knitting and it's going well and I've picked a project. I'm practicing the lace pattern and the stitches I'll need but the shrug I've chosen to make is knitted in 1 big piece and requires 147 stitches to be cast on. This seems like a lot for standard length needles.

Do I need to buy longer than standard knitting needles?
Should I use circular needles? This would require learning another new skill on top of what I'm already attempting. The pattern doesn't say circular needles.

Should I just pick a new starting project?? I've chosen this because it doesn't require any shaping. It's just one big rectangle.

It's never quite as easy as it seems is it??

Anyway - this is the thing I'm going to try to make. It's worsted weight yarn.
View attachment 417823
Get a long circular needle - you don't need any new skills, just knit back and forth as though it were a regular straight needle, just a long and bendy one :) You'll be fine! A top tip I never thought of before - put in a 'lifeline' now and again, that is, thread a length of yarn through all your stitches (thin cotton in a contrast colour is best) so that if you need to undo any of it you can unravel to the lifeline but can't drop a stich, or lose a yarn over.

Thank you! I knit with one needle under my arm so it will be a bit different using a circular needle but I think it will be better as It will be so bunched up on straight needles.

And the lifeline tip! Yes thank you so much for that. That's a fantastic idea. I guess I can just poke it through the stitches with a tapestry needle? I've already experienced great pain going wrong after only a few rows on just 40 stitches so there's a lot potential for tears with this 😆

Thank you! I knit with one needle under my arm so it will be a bit different using a circular needle but I think it will be better as It will be so bunched up on straight needles.

And the lifeline tip! Yes thank you so much for that. That's a fantastic idea. I guess I can just poke it through the stitches with a tapestry needle? I've already experienced great pain going wrong after only a few rows on just 40 stitches so there's a lot potential for tears with this 😆
Yes, the lifeline just gets threaded through. A circular needle is the cheapest option, but I can see you wouldn't want to change your technique. I've got some super long double-pointed needles from a lace knitting (or maybe ganseys) site but I can't remember which one. You could have a look around and then get some stoppers to pop on the ends (or an elastic band).

Yes, the lifeline just gets threaded through. A circular needle is the cheapest option, but I can see you wouldn't want to change your technique. I've got some super long double-pointed needles from a lace knitting (or maybe ganseys) site but I can't remember which one. You could have a look around and then get some stoppers to pop on the ends (or an elastic band).
I think I'm going to try the circular needles. It will be a big change for me but it's about time I learnt how to use them anyway.

I'm excited! But sadly the local wool shop is closed so I'll just have to keep practising. Which is no bad thing really.

I might try to knit today without the needle under my arm. Difficult when you've been doing that for something like 45 years!

Knitting on circulars really isn't difficult, including knitting in the round. The only bit where you have to take care is when you join it together after casting on. After that it's plain sailing.

Thanks RubyToogood

I want to do more knitting and circular needles is all part of upping my knitting game! Eventually, I'd love to do one of those incredible Scandinavian jumpers but that's way beyond me at the moment.

It's bloody complicated this lace knitting but I'm really enjoying learning and thank god for YouTube!!

I use circular needles all the time. I have RSI and it helps distribute the weight more easily. When you are following a straight pattern it's just like using straight needles. No new techniques needed. Although, yes, you won't be able to stick a bit under your arm.

I agree with the lifeline also when knitting lace patterns. It's almost impossible to pick up safely if you make a mistake, unlike in garter or Stocking stitch. I tend to do it every 6 rows. Contrasting yarn, with a tapestry needle, but make sure its longer than you think you need otherwise sometimes it can slip into the row.

Thank you Me76

I just hope I can maintain the neatness and tension properly without the stability of the needle under my arm. But I know that most people don't knit like that anyway.

I'm so glad I asked this question and found out about the lifeline! I might burn the house down if I go wrong after 60 rows of 147 stitches and I can't fix it 😆

Tbf, depending on how many rows the pattern is, I find that after the first two repeats I don't need the lifeline. Always still do it incase of distraction or tiredness. But I always surprise myself how quickly and for how long I remember the pattern.

And it makes knitting a bit more interesting. As much as there is something great and soothing about Stocking stitch, a lace or cable pattern does feel more challenging amd therefore satisfying.

I'm doing two at the moment, a cable for my sister and a lace for me.

I had a gift from work and treated myself to a new set of needles and am loving them. So smooth.

I use wooden because I find metal hurt my hands. And my old set have started to wear on the tips.

Back
Top Bottom