Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Craft club topic of the month - knitting!

Ooooh, I have been writing pattern charts for insects too. Beetles and dragonflies. Love the jumper.
I did knit it, Moose, but without the colour blocks at the elbows and adding some short rows to change the front edges a bit. Present for d -i-l in alpaca.

I'll regret it - another fine knit on tiny needles
It looks like there are a few rows with very long floats across the back. Can be annoying, having to weave in the floats...or there are ways of catching them on a following row. it is something I had to deal with on grand-daughter's fox hat (I ended up doing 7 separate intarsia sections - a nightmare which will never be repeated).

It looks like there are a few rows with very long floats across the back. Can be annoying, having to weave in the floats...or there are ways of catching them on a following row. it is something I had to deal with on grand-daughter's fox hat (I ended up doing 7 separate intarsia sections - a nightmare which will never be repeated).
I quite enjoy a long float. Because it's black with dark green bugs, there shouldn't be any noticeable show-through.
Anyway, I'm now banging out a quick chunky black one-piece neck-down jumper in cotton aran, for light relief, before I get stuck in. :D

So I've got a top I knitted that I really like but it's a but big. Is it possible for me know to treat it like material and take it in?

I'm thinking if I pin it, the sew it to the new size and then cut and over stitch the inside cut bit??

Any thoughts?

What yarn is it, Me76? Steeking (cutting your yarn) is a perfectly acceptable process but is usually done with quite 'sticky' yarn such as Shetland or Wensleydale wool. Merino is Ok but cotton mixes would be possibly problematic. Reinforcing with a double row of machine stitching, then possibly covering the exposed seam with some facing material would work.

Still having a nightmare with my Xmas knitting - mittens too small. As soon as I have finished eldest's hat, I am swapping to woodwork for remaining preassies - have set the lathe, router and Dremel up already - new jogsaw blades, no more bloody knitting for people I have not measured.

S
So I've got a top I knitted that I really like but it's a but big. Is it possible for me know to treat it like material and take it in?

I'm thinking if I pin it, the sew it to the new size and then cut and over stitch the inside cut bit??

Any thoughts?
So that didn't work. Luckily it was a knit I really enjoyed so I will just try it again another time a lot smaller.

EDIT: GONE TO Me76

Knitters - can anyone make use of this? I somehow have 2, so free to a good home.

IMG_9212.jpeg

You can see more details here

Last edited:
I

I'd love that if you really don't mind.

I have downloaded a few free vintage patterns but am a bit scared to try them as the sizing seems very tiny.
Cool! PM me your address and I'll stick it in the post when I get back to work :)

Hello. I haven't knitted since I was a kid but want to learn to arm knit while in isolation. Can anyone tell me what type of yarn I need or recommend any videos on YouTube for it?

Hello. I haven't knitted since I was a kid but want to learn to arm knit while in isolation. Can anyone tell me what type of yarn I need or recommend any videos on YouTube for it?
You need yarn that you like (wool, although some wierd people like acrylic and to be honest I'm coming round to the idea that there's something to blends). You need sticks (needles) that match the yarn - this is v important. Yarn will state a needle size ie 5mm.

Then you need to work out how you learn. Google for easy (v easy knitting patterns) or look on YouTube ie how to make a scarf. Some people say you should jump right in with a proper pattern, I honestly don't know. You know yourself best.

Just realised you said arm knitting. I don't think anyone on this site arm knits. I'm sure Ravelry has an arm knitting group. Just checked, they do but they're not very active. They usually respond if you poke them though!

Super chunky - not all these are chunky enough though, I can tell that without seeing them in the flesh. You really need to do some sleuthing for decent wool - something like arm knitting best yarn should do. Lovecrafts is the other main wool site in the UK.

arm knitting does use vast amounts of wool though, Oula...and produces very niche articles. Otoh, there has never been a better time to take up general knitting. Starting with fairly simple things (hats, scarves, T-shirt style jumpers), it is very possible to make lovely artefacts just by learning half a dozen basic steps. Casting on, casting off (often called binding off), knit and purl stitches, increase and decrease. These will give you all the knowledge you need to make almost anything.
Wool. For the longest time, I avoided both very fine and very thick yarns - double knitting on 4mm needles accounted for almost everything |I made. However, this is the age of You Tube tutorials, internet podcasts and online shopping. I have learned more in the last few years than I had in the previous 50.
It is peaceful, even meditative. Slow and calming and highly useful. Maybe start with a simple cowl or scarf in garter stitch. I was given 'Vogue's Book of Knitting' as a gift - can be had for £20 and a useful addition and overview to the history and methods of knitting.
Drops and King Cole sell reasonable pure wool (merino). You might want to avoid drapey yarns such as alpaca or cotton just yet, and try a basic merino superwash. John Lewis also sell Novita yarns, West Yorkshire Spinners and the more spendy Rowan.
Podcasts and Tutorials - Purl Soho, VeryPink Knits come to mind. Best site for general info and forums - Ravelry - a free and accessible resource for patterns, forums, advice and a million other things. If you do one thing, join Rav.

My usual knitting group met by Zoom last night and it worked well so I've started a poll on dates for a revival of the u75 Craft Club online: vote here.

All welcome for a bit of knitty and other crafty conversation.

what exactly is Zoom, RubyToogood ? Is it like Skype (which I haven't managed yet)? My grand-daughter is really keen to do something like this (being able to see each other and chat without typing text), I am more than a bit ambivalent but would do anything for my lovely girl. I only have a chromebook - not a phone - do you think I could get it to work on that.
I should probably ask this in the tech forum...but it's hard to convince people how incredibly thick I am, when confronted with a screen and keyboard.

what exactly is Zoom, RubyToogood ? Is it like Skype (which I haven't managed yet)? My grand-daughter is really keen to do something like this (being able to see each other and chat without typing text), I am more than a bit ambivalent but would do anything for my lovely girl. I only have a chromebook - not a phone - do you think I could get it to work on that.
I should probably ask this in the tech forum...but it's hard to convince people how incredibly thick I am, when confronted with a screen and keyboard.
It's very similar to Skype and should work fine on a Chromebook. As I was saying on the other thread, I'm happy to have a little practice session with anyone who's not sure about it.

I've pulled out the crochet hook again. It's been a while that I've been trying to do it. I just can't seem to get the hang of it but I've got a good left handed crochet video to watch on YouTube and I'm getting a bit further along every time. I don't even want to do anything super fancy, I just want to make myself a blanket. It's either crochet or knitting but crochet is less stabby if I fancy whipping it out in public.

I am now the owner of 6 kilos of Shetland fleece. My Norfolk friend, Freddy, has expanded his operations (from his first 15 cows) to include 8 Shetland sheep. They are currently grazing on nettle in a corner of my wood. Fred has donated the fleece from their first shearing so I can embark on a cherished ambition to spin my own yarn and dye it with colours I have grown (particularly indigo and madder, a Norfolk tradition). I sowed indigo last month and have been growing madder for 3 years and now have enough root to harvest. To say I am a tad anxious about all this is an understatement...although I am quite pleased to revive my hippyish daydreams. I promise to take pics of what is likely to be a lengthy and fairly disgusting process. I plan to include some collie 'fleece' into the yarn.

I've pulled out the crochet hook again. It's been a while that I've been trying to do it. I just can't seem to get the hang of it but I've got a good left handed crochet video to watch on YouTube and I'm getting a bit further along every time. I don't even want to do anything super fancy, I just want to make myself a blanket. It's either crochet or knitting but crochet is less stabby if I fancy whipping it out in public.
I couldn't get it for years, till a left-handed person in Green Crafts at Glastonbury showed me how. Now I can't stop :D Keep practicing, and don't forget UK and US stitches are the same but different.

Back in knitting harness...and after attempting to finish at least some of last years unfinished projects, I find I am suddenly desperate for a hood and am going to make something along these lines
not in brown though, but many, many colours.
Oh yes, I am planning to investigate 'tapestry crochet'.

Back in knitting harness...and after attempting to finish at least some of last years unfinished projects, I find I am suddenly desperate for a hood and am going to make something along these lines
I made this one which still gets a lot of wear. Wouldn't lend itself to stripes though. Through the Woods... pattern by Kalurah Hudson

Are you planning to use Ístex Léttlopi like they suggest or are you going to opt for something less itchy?

(I made a lettlopi jumper for eldest and he barely wear it because it's too warm to wear indoors and you have to wear something with long sleeves underneath because it's really reminding you that you are wearing wool)

Are you planning to use Ístex Léttlopi like they suggest or are you going to opt for something less itchy?
O No...my adventurers with lopi wool came to a dismal end after a disastrous project using plotulopi - even looser (unspin) than the original Alafoss roving. I try to use British wool if I can because I find black (and blue) faced Leicester, Wensleydale and Highland yarns are beautiful, durable and generally fairly ethical. So Garthenor, Blacker, Eden Cottage, Cambrian Wool, Daughter of a Shepherd for small items such as gloves or hats (because a skein is the most I can afford) but Jamieson's, J.C.Rennie, New Lanark and Baa Ram Ewe 'Pip' 4ply are my main wools. I tend not to use thicker wool than double knitting (mostly I use 4ply). I have been dithering about doing some handspinning - and natural dyeing but the results are wildly variable.
I don't get on with plant based yarns and don't like alpaca or mohair and a lot of merino has animal welfare issues.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom