Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Craft club topic of the month - knitting!

Yeah, I wanted just a basic man made fibre aran to compare with the cashmerino aran that the pattern recommends.

I was a bit overwhelmed though, so maybe I just missed it.
There should be a reasonable selection of wool and acrylic aran.

So I am obsessed. I spent this morning while i was too tired to actually knit, going through loveknitting's free patterns and pinning them onto Pinterest.

Then went out and spent the whole time thinking about buying the yarn for the jumper I want to attempt and thinking about how I should practice increasing and decreasing first. And also about how I have a free hat pattern and whether I should do that first.also been thinking about blocking and where and what can I use to do that.

And I've also started reading this thread from the beginning. And I can't wait until tomorrow afternoon when I will have a good couple of hours of uninterrupted knitting time.

Obsessed I tell you!

Just spent £67 on wool for my jumper project. I thought about substituting it for something cheaper, but as it's my first project, I thought it would be safer to stick to the rules and not have to make adjustments.

Once it's finished it will be the most expensive thing in my wardrobe!

Whenever I've made something in cheap wool that I've loved, I've ended up knitting it again in decent wool afterwards.

I have just discovered that I have been doing knit stitch wrong for the past 6 weeks :eek::eek:

All my stuff looks fine, but I was just looking at a tutorial for cabling ( not sure why as I'm not there yet, although it looks easier than I thought) and she knit stitched different to me.

I have been going through the back of the loop, behind the needle and she went through the front. I just practice's it a bit and its much easier :facepalm:

ETA: it makes my tension a lot lot looser :hmm:

Last edited:
:eek: :D Yup, knitting through the back loop is sometimes required in a pattern, but it twists the stitch, and makes your knitting tighter.

I have just splurged on some Lang Yak for a cardigan - deep red. Have never used this yarn before but it always gets great reviews and NO pilling.

Question out of interest: lots of people have stashes of yarn that you buy just because you like it. So how much so you buy at a time? How much on average does a jumper or cardi say? And then do you just look for a pattern that you like that fits the amount you have?

I probably shouldn't ask these questions as basically I am asking for tips for spending money, but I'm interested. Especially as I am unlikely to ever really do baby stuff. Anything I would want to do would be for me and the OH.

I never buy yarn for a stash - any stashing comes from whatever is left over....which is why many of us have massive, but largely useless stashes...unless you tend to buy the same weight and type of yarn over and over. We also knit a lot of hats and gloves and even the odd egg cosy or baby clothes (for someone else's children), especially baby hats (for prematures) which can be done in an hour with 25grams of leftover wool.

I do know people who consistently buy one or two skeins of irresistible yarn with an idea of making...something, but I only buy stuff for a specific project.

Have you checked out thew Ravelry website - a very good site for patterns and ideas?

Yes indeed!! I am building up quite a list of projects I want to do.

Although I spent 5 hours starting my jumper today and ended up ripping it because I found two dropped stitches and ripped it back but had no patience to then put all the stitches back on the needle.

Should have tinked back rather than ripping! But have learnt the lesson of constant checking.

Yes indeed!! I am building up quite a list of projects I want to do.

Although I spent 5 hours starting my jumper today and ended up ripping it because I found two dropped stitches and ripped it back but had no patience to then put all the stitches back on the needle.

Should have tinked back rather than ripping! But have learnt the lesson of constant checking.
If it's just stocking stitch you can usually just fix a dropped stitch with a crochet hook, even if it's a few rows back. There's bound to be a tutorial on youtube.

I have finished the lurid orange cardi :). Just want it to hurry up and dry so I can wear it :mad:

View attachment 68883

I do like the shape of that cardi, RubyToogood - where did the pattern come from? I started to knit something off Ravelry (Miette) but not having a printer, I have to sit in front of the PC to knit it because every row is different (not used to doing lacy stuff).

I do like the shape of that cardi, RubyToogood - where did the pattern come from? I started to knit something off Ravelry (Miette) but not having a printer, I have to sit in front of the PC to knit it because every row is different (not used to doing lacy stuff).
Ha. It's the same designer as Miette. It's off Ravelry also, at least that's where I found it, you can also buy it from her site: http://untangling-knots.com/shop/patterns/garments/henriette/

I'm the same, I don't have a printer and have to sneakily print patterns off at work. It is a fairly challenging pattern, plus I changed it a bit. I do need to tick the rows off in pencil as I go.

I've been wearing this cardigan nearly every day since I finished it. It's surprising what lurid orange actually goes with, more than you'd think.

Cheers, RubyT - I like the colour as well as the shape. I had an orange (and olive) phase all last year and enjoyed adding purples, teal, dark grey and even bright pink into the mix. I have always liked it in the garden too - dismissing all those tasteful mauves, slates, pale pinks and creams (unless they are sweet peas).

Ha. It's the same designer as Miette. It's off Ravelry also, at least that's where I found it, you can also buy it from her site: http://untangling-knots.com/shop/patterns/garments/henriette/

I'm the same, I don't have a printer and have to sneakily print patterns off at work. It is a fairly challenging pattern, plus I changed it a bit. I do need to tick the rows off in pencil as I go.

I've been wearing this cardigan nearly every day since I finished it. It's surprising what lurid orange actually goes with, more than you'd think.
I believe it was the cardie you had on last weekend. It was smashing! Couldn't help but admire it and your buttons even if I looked like a tit watcher rather than woollen watcher :D

Question: so I'm knitting my jumper and it says knit until 37cms.

Do I measure the knitting just as is, or stretch it a bit and then measure?

The difference between it relaxed and when I stretch it can be about 3cms.

It's a baggy jumper and where it's telling me to stop is when I have to start decreasing for the arm holes which look quite large on the picture, so I'm sure it won't matter much for this particular piece. But I'm wondering for future.

Question: so I'm knitting my jumper and it says knit until 37cms.

Do I measure the knitting just as is, or stretch it a bit and then measure?

The difference between it relaxed and when I stretch it can be about 3cms.

It's a baggy jumper and where it's telling me to stop is when I have to start decreasing for the arm holes which look quite large on the picture, so I'm sure it won't matter much for this particular piece. But I'm wondering for future.
Don't stretch it!

Hello people, another request for help please.

So I am at the difficult bit of my pattern and reading ahead it doesn't seem to make sense:

So the back is left with two openings for the neck, one set of stitches on a stitch holder and the other with some yarn hanging.
Then I knit the sleeves, and the instructions for those finish with a cast off.
Then it says:

"join raglan seams, using back stitch
Hood
With 5mm circular needles and RS of work facing, return to ball of yarn attached at front neck and work as foll: k18 sts from right front neck, pick up and k14 sts from right sleeve, 35 sts from back neck, 14 sts from left sleeve, then k across 18 sts from left front neck. 99 sts.
Place a marker on st at centre."

It's the picking up stitches bit I'm confused about. So the right front neck and left front neck are the bits that were left, but how am I picking up stitches from the sleeves and back neck? They have been cast off, so is it taking those finished edges and making stitches from them again? Is there a proper way of doing that?

Me76 Yes it is taking those finished stitches and picking them up (although I would have thought the pattern should have told you to put them on stitch holder if you needed them again :hmm: )

You do it like this

Afternoon everyone. Another plea for pattern help if possible please.

Pattern says:
(RS)K to marked st, m1, k marked stitch, m1, k to end.
Work 3 more rows in st st and edge part as set. Rep last 4 rows 3 times more, then work inc row again. 109 sts. Work straight in part until hood measures 30 cm, ending with WS row.

Questions as follows:
1 - all of this is on circular needles which I haven't used before. Will it be obvious when I come to the end of a row, and then do I swap the needles as I would if they weren't circular?
2- what does edge part as set mean? The first row, which I miss off copying here works with a 3 stitch knit edge, so does it mean stocking stitch apart from that edge or something else?
3- Rep last 4 rows 3 times more, then work inc row gain. Does that mean 13 rows, with the last one being the row with the increasing of stitches?

Afternoon everyone. Another plea for pattern help if possible please.

Pattern says:
(RS)K to marked st, m1, k marked stitch, m1, k to end.
Work 3 more rows in st st and edge part as set. Rep last 4 rows 3 times more, then work inc row again. 109 sts. Work straight in part until hood measures 30 cm, ending with WS row.

Questions as follows:
1 - all of this is on circular needles which I haven't used before. Will it be obvious when I come to the end of a row, and then do I swap the needles as I would if they weren't circular?
2- what does edge part as set mean? The first row, which I miss off copying here works with a 3 stitch knit edge, so does it mean stocking stitch apart from that edge or something else?
3- Rep last 4 rows 3 times more, then work inc row gain. Does that mean 13 rows, with the last one being the row with the increasing of stitches?

I always find it really hard to visualise these sort of queries but:

1. If there's an edge you won't actually be knitting in the round even if it is on a circular needle. You'll just turn round when you get to the end and knit back, as you would on straight needles.

2. I'm fairly confident it says "edge patt" not "edge part" - ie edge pattern, as set in the first row, with the 3 stitch knit edge. So yes, all stocking stitch apart from those 3 knit stitches, which because they're knitted on both sides will form garter stitch.

3. Yes. Your final row will be that row where you're making one either side of the marked stitch.

I think.

This thread (pun unintended) passed its tenth birthday without fanfare. I hope you all remembered to make it an angola sweater.

I think it holds the record for the oldest thread still active (rather than mischievously bumped).

I always find it really hard to visualise these sort of queries but:

1. If there's an edge you won't actually be knitting in the round even if it is on a circular needle. You'll just turn round when you get to the end and knit back, as you would on straight needles.

2. I'm fairly confident it says "edge patt" not "edge part" - ie edge pattern, as set in the first row, with the 3 stitch knit edge. So yes, all stocking stitch apart from those 3 knit stitches, which because they're knitted on both sides will form garter stitch.

3. Yes. Your final row will be that row where you're making one either side of the marked stitch.

I think.
Thank you.

Yes. The pattern does say 'edge patt' and I hadn't noticed the autocorrect when typing it out on my phone.

It all kind of makes sense now. Although until I start I'm still nervous.

I have about 30 minutes of a sleeve to finish and the I have to do a bit of blocking and making up before the picking up stitches that I asked about before.

I like to read ahead though to help plan time and get my head in the right place.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom