Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Craft club topic of the month - knitting!

My new Rowan wool has arrived. It's knitted on size 10 needles in the pattern so I reckon I can knit this next jumper in no time :D
I've still got a sleeve to go on the current one though.

1003075_10206242089755202_3110222934089079703_n.jpg

Finished my jumper. I included the silver bangle that I made this week and a necklace a made a while ago but they don't photograph well.

Hello all. I'm joining this thread as I have just started knitting for the first time since I was about 12.

I've subscribed to The Art of Knitting Magazine. They give you wool and needles and instructions in the magazine for how to do things and also squares to practice stitches that will eventually make up a throw.

I'm on my third square and really enjoying it. Long way to go I think but I can't wait to knit something I can wear.

I do not like bamboo needles though.

They have their uses - some tricky fine or slippery yarns are better on bamboo, because they don't slide off like they would with metal needles. But I'm faster with metal once general.

You won't be having to bother too much about tension till you're knitting very precise clothing, but I was fairly surprised to find that different needles give different tension, even though they're the same diameter.

Screen Shot 2015-03-16 at 08.34.30.png

Do you know how many squares it is? I don't think you should feel obliged to finish the whole throw before knitting something you actually want to knit... I seem to remember someone else doing this and getting thoroughly hacked off with it as it took forever. The essence of knitting is that you learn as you go. I'm still learning, we all are.
Hello all. I'm joining this thread as I have just started knitting for the first time since I was about 12.

I've subscribed to The Art of Knitting Magazine. They give you wool and needles and instructions in the magazine for how to do things and also squares to practice stitches that will eventually make up a throw.

I'm on my third square and really enjoying it. Long way to go I think but I can't wait to knit something I can wear.

Do you know how many squares it is? I don't think you should feel obliged to finish the whole throw before knitting something you actually want to knit... I seem to remember someone else doing this and getting thoroughly hacked off with it as it took forever. The essence of knitting is that you learn as you go. I'm still learning, we all are.
Oh no!! I'm hoping I will learn enough to knit something well before the throw is finished. I think it's 96 squares!!

Each magazine teaches you different bits and has loads of patterns in too. I think I need to learn how to increase and decrease and then I will attempt something!!

Was it Rowan 'Big Wool'? Have often been tempted (by the speed of knitting up).

No it was knitted in Debbie Bliss Blue Faced Leicester.
I've just started one in Rowan Drift which is really thick and on size 10 needles. It would take no time to knit except that I have 2 silver bangle projects on the go and I need to put some time into them this week. Knitting will have to come second :)

Looks great Rubes :)
They have their uses - some tricky fine or slippery yarns are better on bamboo, because they don't slide off like they would with metal needles. But I'm faster with metal once general.

You won't be having to bother too much about tension till you're knitting very precise clothing, but I was fairly surprised to find that different needles give different tension, even though they're the same diameter.

View attachment 68869
Blimey, I didn't know that :oops:
PS I like the way we are all finishing super warm jumpers just in time for Spring...
I've not even started on my jumper... so should be done for autumn :thumbs:

Went to John Lewis at lunch time today to have a feel of yarns and try to get my head around the feel or different kinds for when shopping online.
They didn't seem to have any just normal yarn. Silk, cotton, cashmere, fur, but no normal.
Anyway, I have seen that the yarn recommended for the jumper pattern I want to try isn't all that special, so should be able to use a cheaper one with not too many issues.

I popped into JL to ask about sports weight substitutes the other week. She googled for me. Not bothering to go there again. :D

I'm not convinced you can get a UK equivalent of sport weight. Maybe Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino or whatever it's called. But there wouldn't be much in JL, no.

Went to John Lewis at lunch time today to have a feel of yarns and try to get my head around the feel or different kinds for when shopping online.
They didn't seem to have any just normal yarn. Silk, cotton, cashmere, fur, but no normal.
Anyway, I have seen that the yarn recommended for the jumper pattern I want to try isn't all that special, so should be able to use a cheaper one with not too many issues.
In Oxford Street? There is loads :confused: What were you looking for?

Back
Top Bottom