Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus - worldwide breaking news, discussion, stats, updates and more

Christ I had a deficiency and I've only been prescribed 800IU 1/day. Admittedly after a 12 week massive dose (though that was once a week). Can't remember what that was though.
I was prescribed 20,000IU a day for about ten days, then once a week for several weeks when my levels were found to be seriously low. It made my arthritis hurt.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has moved Australia into pandemic mode, as the coronavirus spreads to 42 countries across the world.

Well it's been announced as a pandemic here. It's hard to think about because I have a son who is immunocompromised, but for that very reason I have to think about it..

I’m worried now for my parents , they are quite old and live in Ticino right next to Italian border. There’s nothing I can think of to suggest they do though, apart from come stay with me and that’s no kind of solution.

My gf is in Vietnam. notifiable country now?
If you have returned from these areas since 19 February and develop symptoms, however mild, you should stay indoors at home and avoid contact with other people immediately and call NHS 111. You do not need to follow this advice if you have no symptoms.
  • northern Italy (anywhere north of Pisa, Florence and Rimini)
  • Vietnam
  • Cambodia
  • Laos
  • Myanmar

If I was someone with a compromised immune system, I would be inclined to minimise contact with anyone who has recently returned from a high risk area, regardless of current symptoms.

Which may be easier said than done, of course

I’m immunocompromised due to my crohns medication, so a bit scared by it all. Also work in a school so tend to be a bit of a disease magnet anyway, since starting there in September I’ve had a four month chest infection (round 4 of antibiotics finally shifted it), a six-day stomach bug that the rest of the family were all clear of in about 36 hours, and currently in bed with shingles. Immune system taking a battering, don’t fancy my chances against Covid-19. If the shingles lasts long enough maybe I will be off work and in hiding when it passes through anyway.

The outbreak in Italy was clearly going to start spreading across Europe, and it's now been confirmed that 2 people who returned from Italy and Tenerife have tested positive in the UK, bringing the total to 15.

Sadly, I fear a lot more cases over the coming days. :(

Just read a very depressing article speculating that this virus could possibly infect 60% of the world population :(

My gf is in Vietnam. notifiable country now?
If I was someone with a compromised immune system, I would be inclined to minimise contact with anyone who has recently returned from a high risk area, regardless of current symptoms.

Which may be easier said than done, of course

Yeah TopCat what andysays is my thinking as well. Given your currant predicament I would suggest that you don't see your g/f for 14 days after she comes back regardless of whether she has any symptoms. Going to be a real shitter but it seems like the best thing to do.

I'm off to Cambodia tomorrow and I'm already letting relevant people know that I won't be seeing them for at least 14 days upon my return.

Erm, whether you catch it or not depends partly on what you do, how you behave, etc. And whether you live or die will depend on a whole host of factors, some within your control. You make it sound like what happens is just random or fate.
Of course we can, and should take precautions to minimise chance of infection but unfortunately, there are no guarantees.

Back
Top Bottom