Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Vitamin D and coronavirus

3 grams/day? :hmm:

That might be for the pack or something... I'm on one 800IU tablet; 20mg. Also prescribed... Did get initial heroic dose thing, which was something like 6000IU. But that was once/week (which, come to think of it, isn't much more than 800/day, though I may have forgotten the exact dose/how many times).
It looks like the 1500mg is the calcium (as pointed out by prunus :)) -- it's 800 IU a day of Vit D.

I live in Córdoba and this is the first I’ve heard of this. I’m going to take Vit D now. If it helps good, if it doesn’t no harm done.

More of a broader question, but how much difference does the brand make to dosage?There's so a huge range of price. Obviously some are paying for shops/expensive marketing, but as far as I know there isn't much regulation either.

Can you get enough Vit D from a multivit?

Thanks. Is a Vitabright a "good" brand then? How do you even go about checking this stuff?

On their website in the small print it says they're "Vouch Together" trading as Vitabright of Unit 63, Capital Business Centre, South Croydon CR2 0BS, which is a small office. On the Companies House website, Vouch Together is listed as an advertising agency. Conclusion is they don't do any manufacturing but simply do branding and marketing for other manufacturers. Who knows where their stuff comes from.

On their website in the small print it says they're "Vouch Together" trading as Vitabright of Unit 63, Capital Business Centre, South Croydon CR2 0BS, which is a small office. On the Companies House website, Vouch Together is listed as an advertising agency. Conclusion is they don't do any manufacturing but simply do branding and marketing for other manufacturers. Who knows where their stuff comes from.

Which is what makes buying vitamins and supplements a bit of a minefield really.

The only one I think I know work is valerian as it does help with sleep (cheap ebay high dose ones work) but beyond that it's a bugger. I still do it though.

I have these from Boots. I had the initial very high dose from the doctor, but was told off by the pharmacist when I tried to buy more of the same so I have settled on these.

1612256506676.png

I have these from Boots. I had the initial very high dose from the doctor, but was told off by the pharmacist when I tried to buy more of the same so I have settled on these.

View attachment 252404

Vitabiotics products are quite expensive! Surely cheapo Vitamin D in a white plastic bottle from Asda or Superdrug would be just as good?

Mine are 5000iu D3 - I may go from every 2 or 3 days, to every 5 ... perhaps I'll crush some up along with B12 and cut them with something inert .. :hmm:
I add them to fizzy multivits but they don't dissolve very easily ...

... though I've been out of the sun for a long time now ...

Oop I'm worried now. My doctor told me I need to take daily vitamin D tablets for the rest of my life after I was found to be in a near critical state of deficiency. Used to buy from boots, and lidl but they kept being out of stock when the pandemic hit. I moved to Amazon. Does that mean they might be unregulated? Is there any way of telling? Is it Possibly dangerous? Also I bought 1000 and 4000 which is substantially higher than the boots brands. They said one a day so I thought it would be alright, but if pharmacists are saying it's naughty. . .

Oop I'm worried now. My doctor told me I need to take daily vitamin D tablets for the rest of my life after I was found to be in a near critical state of deficiency. Used to buy from boots, and lidl but they kept being out of stock when the pandemic hit. I moved to Amazon. Does that mean they might be unregulated? Is there any way of telling? Is it Possibly dangerous? Also I bought 1000 and 4000 which is substantially higher than the boots brands. They said one a day so I thought it would be alright, but if pharmacists are saying it's naughty. . .
There was loads in Sainsbury's this morning

Only just seen this thread. I’ve been on prescribed chewable tablets of 1000mg of calcium with 25microgram (1000IU) colecalciferol, vitamin D for two years now following the removal of a parathyroid gland due to a benign tumour on it. I can no longer utilise calcium or vitamin D in enough quantities to protect my bones.

I've been taking at least one or two 'one a day' vitamin D tablets a day for a few months now. I've just read the article linked to above and figured I can increase my dosage, take up to four a day, so I just did, as I haven't been going out much and it's winter, so my levels could probably do with an extra boost round about now.

There seems to be correlation, but no direct link causation (as yet), that it helps, but I figure what's the harm? Worst case scenario, for me, is that it does nothing. Best case scenario is that it somehow boosts my own immune system and affords some level of protection/mitigation against the worst effects of Covid-19. For the sake of a few quid, it seems worthwhile to give it a chance.

I previously had a big bottle of Asda own brand chewable vitamin D tablets, but they've been sold out for a while now (or at least out of stock whenever I've been in). My supply had run out so I was just about to get some multivitamins when I spotted another brand on the shelf above, and they're doing a special offer at the moment, three packets for the price of two, so I got three.

I think I mentioned this on another thread but I got a 12 weeks prescription from the doctor because my blood test showed I was deficient. When I finished them I decided to just buy some more from Boots. I ordered the highest strength I could find and when I picked them up, I only went to talk to the pharmacist because I wanted to understand the mg/iu/ug thing. She said I should only have been taking the high strength stuff for 6 weeks not 12 and she made me return the ones I had just collected and get my money back. So she certainly believed a too high dose was harmful.

So I stopped taking them over the summer (I am outside a lot anyway) but bought the ones I mentioned up thread once the weather started turning.

Who knows what the 'correct dose' is though.

I think I mentioned this on another thread but I got a 12 weeks prescription from the doctor because my blood test showed I was deficient. When I finished them I decided to just buy some more from Boots. I ordered the highest strength I could find and when I picked them up, I only went to talk to the pharmacist because I wanted to understand the mg/iu/ug thing. She said I should only have been taking the high strength stuff for 6 weeks not 12 and she made me return the ones I had just collected and get my money back. So she certainly believed a too high dose was harmful.

So I stopped taking them over the summer (I am outside a lot anyway) but bought the ones I mentioned up thread once the weather started turning.

I'd go with your doctor over a pharmacist, as the doctor will have seen your blood test results. When I was deficient I was told to take 3000IU for three months, it's certainly not harmful if your levels are low to start with.

£5 a pack! Have they always been that ‘expensive’ or am I just surprised to see anything tablet form from a supermarket cost that much.

Well UK regs say 4000 a day is fine and well within danger limits, so it just worries me when a pharmacist is saying it's not.

£5 a pack! Have they always been that ‘expensive’ or am I just surprised to see anything tablet form from a supermarket cost that much.

Paying for the packaging (tough blister pack inside a box) and marketing. Same as generic paracetamol versus a branded product with hologram-printed packet (holograms are admittedly good for headaches)

Back
Top Bottom