Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Sweden and coronavirus

Their testing more now.
Which is one reason why we need to be a little cautious about the meaning of rises in case numbers. They haven't yet translated into seriously ill people in hospital.

I'm not going all 'casedemic' here - those rises have eventually translated into deaths elsewhere - but it is surely too early to say what this means for Sweden's future.

eg: Denmark reached the levels of cases per head of population that Sweden is reporting now a month ago. In Denmark, it has since levelled out without a massive spike in deaths. They've kept a lid on it so far.

Last edited:
Uppsala has become the first region in Sweden to introduce local coronavirus measuresafter that became possible yesterday. That means that until November 3rd, everyone in the area is urged to avoid public transport, avoid contact with people other than those you live with, and avoid organising or attending parties or social gatherings. The changes also mean stricter recommendations for workplaces (everyone should work from home who can do), shops, and sports facilities, which should all limit the number of people present at any one time.

The maths professor who is one of Sweden's foremost epidemiological modellers has suggested 4,000 coronavirus deaths could have been avoided this spring if the country had put in place restrictions similar to those in Norway and Denmark.

From the non-paywalled Covid-19 updates page, October 20th entries at https://www.thelocal.se/20200902/co...bout-the-outbreak-in-sweden-timeline-part-two

This makes sad reading. :(

Even more worrying, evidence has emerged that many sick elderly patients were effectively automatically denied access to treatment, to avoid hospitals being overwhelmed. One March 17 FHM directive to Stockholm hospitals stated any patients over 80 or with a body mass index above 40 should not be admitted to intensive care, because they were less likely to recover. Other reports describe sick care home residents being administered a palliative cocktail of morphine and midazolam, because the homes were not equipped to administer oxygen, something some doctors have described as ‘active euthanasia.’

“The government didn’t protect the most vulnerable members of society,” says Ewing. “People were triaged out of healthcare and given ‘No Hospital’ notes on their journals, before they got sick. And this was not only for patients who were suspected of having Covid-19. A person who got a urinary tract infection and required hospitalisation, for example for IV antibiotics or fluids, would not get that care either. They received palliative medicine instead.”

I struggle to find suitable paywall-free English stories about Sweden, but I believe other news there this week was the raising of limits on public event attendee numbers to 300, new stricter limits on nightclub numbers, and the removal of the previous shielding advice for vulnerable groups.

edit - oh there is a short paragraph in a Guardian article about the nightclubs bit.

In Sweden, where cases are also rising, the government said on Thursday it would tighten rules for nightclubs to force them to limit the number of partygoers to 50. “The parties at the nightclubs are over now,” said the prime minister, Stefan Löfven.

I struggle to find suitable paywall-free English stories about Sweden, but I believe other news there this week was the raising of limits on public event attendee numbers to 300, new stricter limits on nightclub numbers, and the removal of the previous shielding advice for vulnerable groups.

edit - oh there is a short paragraph in a Guardian article about the nightclubs bit.

radio sweden has news in english. Svt - television not so much, but chrome translates good enough. links to latest coronanews and in depth-articles below. tell me if you need help with translation.

94 deaths registered in the last 24 hours apparently
:(
thats an article from april, deaths right now are thankfully much lower, 2-7/day in sweden, not in stockholm.

these are the newest guidelines for stockholm, roughly translated:

Everyone staying in Stockholm County should:
  1. Refrain from having physical contact with people other than those you live with. Necessary close contact is permitted, such as during care visits and medical examinations.
  2. Refrain from staying in indoor environments such as shops, malls, museums, libraries, bathhouses and gyms. The businesses are also encouraged to pay attention and do everything they can to prevent congestion. Necessary visits to, for example, grocery stores and pharmacies can be made.
  3. Refrain from participating where congestion can occur at, for example, meetings, concerts, performances, sports training (training for children and young people born in 2005 or later is the exception), matches and competitions. To the extent that such arrangements are carried out, it places high demands on the organizers to do everything they can to minimize the risk of congestion at, for example, entrances and exits. Everyone, regardless of age, is advised against arranging or participating in sports competitions and cups where many meet.
  4. Employers should encourage all staff to work from home as far as possible, offer increased opportunities to work from home, and postpone business trips, conferences and other physical meetings.
  5. Refrain from participating in larger social contexts such as dinners, parties, funerals, baptisms, parties and weddings.
The Director General of the Swedish Public Health Agency, in consultation with Smittskydd Stockholm, has decided that these local general councils shall apply for a limited period of time in order to slow down the local outbreak.

From the BBC live updates page at 10:27 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-54791360

Four Swedish regions, including those encompassing the country’s three largest cities of Stockholm, Gothenburg and Malmo, have introduced tougher coronavirus restrictions.

The new guidelines vary slightly between areas, but include staying away from non-essential shops and avoiding malls, gyms, museums and public transport.

People have been asked to avoid physical contact with those they do not live with. Officials have also warned against hosting or attending dinners or house parties.

The new guidelines will remain in place until at least 17 or 19 November, depending on the region. Other existing recommendations remain in place, such as working from home if you can do so and staying in if you have any coronavirus-like symptoms.

On 1 November, a legally-binding ban on public gatherings of more than 50 people was lifted. This allowed socially-distanced sporting and cultural events for up to 300 people to take place.

But few are expected to go ahead, as all regions with tighter recommendations have chosen to keep the limit.

well, its starting to show again. Today 'my' hospital reopened one covid ward we closed late june. i think there is 2 parients in the icu, compared to 10-12 the worst months. the rise in cases is mostly ages 20-59 where mortality so far has been very low. dunno if there's any reason to think we'll manage to protect the elderly better this time.

20201112_211416.jpg20201112_210955.jpg
20201112_214724.jpg

Swedish PM urges people to "cancel and postpone " in address to the nation.

Interesting. After 6000 deaths the policy is changing. More in line with other eu countries

Yeah I had a call with people from Sweden last week, 8 people max but "recommendations not punishments"

an official report of how we handled the virus in the care homes during the first wave was publiced the other day. dismal reading, as expected. i think this is the major failing of the 'swedish strategy' so far, think i wrote something about that back in april - may. might get down to reading the actual report this weekend, if i find the time.

on a happier note:

and:

sadly, they're both young and afaik healthy, but hope springs eternal...

From the beeb live rolling news:
King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden has given a blunt TV message telling Swedes the country has failed to save lives during the pandemic. ”We have a large number who have died and that is terrible”. Sweden did not initially go into lockdown and has seen 7,802 deaths in a population of 10 million.

I was watching packs of them jog in the park last night. The gyms are full. Noone knows how to get tested.
Because over the boarder where I am now, the shopping centres and schools are shut. Masks are mandatory in shops and on public transport. Anyone who can, is working from home. Bars are closed. Sale of alcohol is prohibited after 10. I have had frequent tests in order to earn my Covid passport.

And still there's idiots on FB insisting that we should have all followed Sweden's approach

The Covid-19 death toll in Sweden stands at 7,802, the highest in the Nordic region in both absolute and per capita terms. The situation has caused such wide-spread shock in the country that it drew a rare verbal intervention from the King.
How Sweden is being forced to abandon its failing Covid-19 strategy
The country hailed by lockdown sceptics has suffered one of the worst second waves in Europe.

Sweden’s cumulative death rate per million people (744) is around seven times higher than those of its Nordic neighbours and its caseload is rising at the fastest rate of almost any European country.

They have a not terribly deep article about this now.

Swedish PM Stefan Löfven has a press conference this afternoon and there are rumours he’ll be announcing new, harder restrictions. It may just be that the King speaking out has broken the spell. So many Swedes have seemed to been in denial about the whole thing. Monarchs may just be figureheads, but they still have an important role to play IMHO, and if the Swedish King’s intervention does embarass the govt into some more action, it will be a demonstration of his value.

Tegnell still very popular in Sweden, despite what I see as his monumental incompetence and wilful thickheadedness. I do wonder whether Tegnell and Giesecke will ever be held to account for their bad decisions.

Back
Top Bottom