Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Sweden and coronavirus

Compare and contrast graphic.....

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 15.26.38.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 15.26.38.png
    235.9 KB · Views: 40
Compare and contrast graphic.....

Not a great comparison TBH as the UK (337k) has tested over twice those in Sweden (152k), based on tests per 1 million of the population, the more you look, the more cases you'll find. Also the graph doesn't seem to be adjusted for population sizes, the UK having around 10 times more people.

Have you got a point to make, by posting this?

Dorit Nitzan, the WHO’s regional emergency director for Europe, said Sweden’s focus on sustainability over time, citizen engagement and voluntary compliance was interesting because “this is the time we all have to learn to live with this virus”.

But Nitzan stressed there was no “one size fits all” solution and every approach should be based on situation and context. If the WHO was keen to learn more from Sweden, it was because it saw the country as one that had “adapted its response to its people’s behaviour and background, and leveraged that to make it effective”.

Nitzan stressed that Sweden’s approach may not be applicable everywhere. Other countries should take into account that “in Sweden, the social contract between the government and its population is historically based on a very high level of trust”, she said. “That is the way the Swedish people and the government interact.”

Following the Swedish example, therefore, should not mean “adopting the exact same measures”, she said. “There are lessons to learn from every country. Nonehas done it perfectly; all have made mistakes.

“Each country’s strategy to curb Covid-19 should be based on its specific situation and context, and be both scientifically sound and culturally acceptable. This is Sweden’s approach.”

Meanwhile I am still waiting for a good article about proposed new local lockdowns that Tegnell would apparently prefer to be done in 2-3 week lengths.

Which is funny considering that I feel one of the many factors that make a more nuanced response impossible in the UK is the poisonous side of our press. A poison that would have to be taken into account when "adapting our response" in the manner the WHO were talking about.

And I wont forget that 'lockdown fatigue' clearly set in with the press before it had taken much hold on the general population.

Yeah one of the points made by a mate who lives there is that there's a high level of trust in the government even by people who didn't vote for them. The uk is a deeply divided society on the other hand with a government widely regarded as ridiculous at best and criminal at worst.

Possible local lockdowns coming in Sweden.

Covid-19 infections are picking up in lockdown-averse Sweden; where the case count has more than doubled over seven days, according to the latest data.

Sweden's state epidemiologist Anders Tegnell said earlier this week that he is now willing to recommend lockdown measures such as school closures, and strict limits to the size of gatherings - so long as they are only imposed locally and for three weeks at a time.

The Scandinavian country's Covid-19 death rate (581 per one million) is still less than that of the UK's (617 per 1m) and its current seven-day case count of 24 per 100,000 is well below the UK's rate of 56.

Interesting case count there, considering the UK was at that rate just over a week or so ago.

Actually that Telegraph article probably belongs in a different category but I am having trouble accessing the whole story. Anybody got an alternative link to it?

I should probably have picked on some recent examples from the Sun instead but I cant face linking to those.

On and on the dreary shit from the usual publications continues.

Meanwhile on planet earth, I can read this sort of thing on the free pandemic page of the local, although I cannot access the full articles. All the same, the summaries probably tell us what we need to know.

October 5th:

Sweden's measures to curb the spread of coronavirus will likely remain in place for "at least another year", with the possibility of additional local restrictions, the country's public health director said

Today:

Swedish health authorities have highlighted some regions that are seeing a clear rise in new coronavirus infections, including Stockholm, Uppsala, Skåne and Örebro.

The region of Uppsala temporarily postponed non-essential surgery on Tuesday at its main hospital (but planned care resumed today) and is considering imposing a restaurant curfew after a sharp rise in coronavirus cases. "It is possible that restaurants will be required to close at 11pm. But no one knows if that will stop the spread or if it will just lead to parties at home," wrote regional councillor Malin Sjöberg Högrell.

Bad news for Swedish sports fans, it was planned to increase the limit on audience sizes to 500 (!) But that has now been postponed. :(

I don't how reliable Google translate is but there is an article about Swedish healthcare workers worried about a second wave and protests over pay and conditions in the hospitals.

Sineva Ribeiro says that they receive signals from several parts of the country that nurses are resigning, including in Jönköping, Uppsala and Västerbotten.

In Region Jämtland Härjedalen, 140 nurses, for example in surgical and intensive care, have resigned. The reason is dissatisfaction with the work environment and deteriorating working hours.

- They have struggled with 12.5-hour shifts and an 80-hour work week during the spring and summer. There is a disappointment that the employer does not thank with salary and better working conditions.

I still cant read the full articles but a recent overview anyway:

October 8th:

Sweden has for the second time postponed plans to raise the limit on the number of people allowed at public events. The limit today is set at 50 (although this doesn't apply to private events like weddings or parties, nor to schools, workplaces or shopping centres) and the government had planned to raise this to 500 for certain seated events.

Swedish health authorities have warned of sharp rises in the rate of coronavirus infection, in some cases thought to be linked to sports teams or private gatherings and parties

October 9th:

A recent increase in Covid-19 infections in Sweden has resulted in Denmark's foreign ministry now advising against non-essential travel to 8 of the country's 21 regions.

Sweden's Public Health Agency has shared more details about the restrictions that could be brought in locally to limit the spread of the coronavirus, including caps on numbers of people allowed in shops. Here's the latest news.

And:

Sweden's minister for higher education warned students today to follow coronavirus guidelines after eight Swedish regions reported outbreaks linked to universities, especially unofficial student parties.

Screenshot 2020-10-09 at 18.45.36.png

Yeah, they havent got a magic pandemic wand.

Both supporters and detractors have described Sweden’s strategy as one of “herd immunity”: allowing the majority of the population to contract Covid-19 in the hope of building resistance to it. But Tegnell insists that this is not the case. “That’s incorrect – in common with other countries we’re trying to slow down the spread as much as possible... To imply that we let the disease run free without any measures to try to stop it is not true.”

He warned that a genuine herd immunity strategy could be disastrous: “If you have Covid-19 spreading, so that 50-60 per cent of your society eventually have the disease, it can rapidly overwhelm your health service and possibly cause a number of deaths indefinitely and leave people with long-term consequences. If you can avoid that I would say that you definitely should.”

Back
Top Bottom