Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

Interesting that the positivity rates (England, ONS) are now highest (have progressively been growing so) in the 50s to early 70s, a "hot spot" with a clear cut off around 75, at, and beyond which, significant numbers were 'spring' boosted (though there will be a small contribution from a mobility/networking factor too).
ONS modelled positivity rates, England, 29May-18Jun 2022.

Last edited:
I poked around with some Scottish data. They stopped reporting deaths within 28 days of a positive test at the start of June. Other data tends to only come out once a week, which makes things like hospital data extra laggy. They also acknowledge that changes to the testing regime affect hospital data quality, and I havent found equivalents to the 'for' and 'with' numbers I often show for England.

They felt the need to encourage spring booster uptake earlier this week:

Here are a couple of things from their last weekly report that I got from COVID-19 statistical report - 22 June 2022 - COVID-19 statistical report - Publications - Public Health Scotland

Intensive care picture doesnt show anything alarming so I am not posting anything related to that at this time.

Screenshot 2022-06-24 at 17.13.jpg
Screenshot 2022-06-24 at 17.13b.jpg

For England, the dashboard data downloads that I used to be able to use to see a more granular set of age groups for hospital admissions is no longer available, so I can only do a version of such charts that uses the much broader age groups. I can get a more granular version from NHS England but it only comes out once a month. And as always I cannot provide a 'with' and 'for' version of data that includes age groups.

Here is that data for England. Same set of data presented in two different ways. Data goes up to June 22nd. I probably failed to pay much attention to these figures in the second wave of Omicron, so this might be the first time I am commenting on the fact that older people made up a greater proportion of hospital admissions/diagnoses during that peak compared to the forst Omicron peak, I cant really remember.

Screenshot 2022-06-24 at 17.20.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for learning to live with my latest data splurge. I dont do them very often anymore but since we have another wave and daily data is due to stop soon, I wanted to do a bunch of them today.

Here are the hospital admissions/diagnoses per English region that I mentioned I would do. These is the last ones I am doing for now.

If all of these charts told the full story of the Omicron waves then government policy would likely have had to change. But since lots of the cases were 'incidental' and the intensive care numbers did not show the same rises as these other graphs do relative to previous waves that led to lockdown, the governments were able to stick to their 'living with covid' approach. Even if this pattern persists in future, I still have reasons to complain about what I call the slower, grinding form of pressure this places on the NHS.

Made with data that goes up to June 22nd from the daily spreadsheet at Statistics » COVID-19 Hospital Activity

Given changes to the testing regime, including changes in hospitals, care needs to be taken when comparing recent trends to those from before the various changes. eg we might expect less 'incidental' cases including hospital acquired cases to be captured in this data now.

It probably doesnt need saying that I consider the decision to stop daily publishing of this data on the dashboard at the end of this month to be especially badly timed.

Screenshot 2022-06-24 at 17.40.jpg
Screenshot 2022-06-24 at 18.00.jpg

Last edited:
Sudden uptick in people I know with Covid now. And the hospital I work in have given up on any mask wearing for patients and visitors, with the result today that I sat in a cubicle assessing a patient coughing, who then tested positive for Covid half an hour later. FFS, I only had it in March.

Staff starting to call in sick for the weekend with Covid as well, so staffing will be poor this weekend.

So this is the plan, this every few months? Pretty fucked up.

Yeah a year ago they tried to promote the agenda by having some people go on about how waves would calm down, how we'd have some sort of 'endemic equilibium' etc, but it didnt pan out that way and these days they dont even bother with that shit. They just focus on the idea that most people wont become seriously ill.

I especially dont like the lack of attention to hospital infection control, that stuff really tempts fate.

If there is persistent disruption caused by number of people going off work sick, then they'll probably try to find ways to get people to take things even less seriously, come to work when ill etc.

If there is persistent disruption caused by number of people going off work sick, then they'll probably try to find ways to get people to take things even less seriously, come to work when ill etc.
pretty sure I read this as a policy somewhere on this board for a NHS trust some urbanite works at if fully vaccinated, but I could remember wrongly.

Anecdatally I'm a bit concerned that recent 5 year olds aren't getting vaccinated. I'm in a due date group which is usually all for vaccinations but they're 50:50 on getting this done. - reasons like the kid has had COVID (they all started school last September) or it's over now, doesn't really affect kids etc. Might go and look for vaccination by age figures. I reckon uptake will be lower simply because parents have to organise it themselves unlike the rest of the vaccination programme.

I'm booking in my five year old and have pointed out to them that if it's worse in winter they'll want to be on second jab protection by then...

Anecdatally I'm a bit concerned that recent 5 year olds aren't getting vaccinated. I'm in a due date group which is usually all for vaccinations but they're 50:50 on getting this done. - reasons like the kid has had COVID (they all started school last September) or it's over now, doesn't really affect kids etc. Might go and look for vaccination by age figures. I reckon uptake will be lower simply because parents have to organise it themselves unlike the rest of the vaccination programme.

I'm booking in my five year old and have pointed out to them that if it's worse in winter they'll want to be on second jab protection by then...
It took me a bit longer than I planned but got my 8 year old his first dose today as I want him double dosed by winter.

oops double post due to me messing up editing this post after accidentally quoting myself instead of someone else. Intended post is below.

Last edited:
We don’t hear much about the R rate any more. I guess that’s all part of the “ignore it and it will go away” plan.
Yes, it was considered most useful when there was a need to educate the public about pandemic wave dynamics because their behaviours were the most important tool we had. Especially when other forms of data were missing, eg before we had mass testing in the first place.

So yes, its greatest use and emphasis was when policy makers were aware that there would be cycles where they needed to switch on and off various heavy policies that had huge implications for public life. And that was still true even during periods where for example policy makers in England came out with rhetoric that implied they didnt see future lockdowns as likely, because there was a period when privately they still did, and were just bullshitting to increase levels of economic activity during the gaps between lockdowns.

This all changed once vaccines became the new tool in the arsenal, shifting the focus of public education and desired public behaviour towards getting vaccinated when asked, and emphasising the 'light at the end of the tunnel'. A period where roadmaps that moved away from lockdowns could be considered in a more sincere manner rather than being empty rhetoric with a short shelf life. There were still some wobbles along that road, especially in winter, but then they could use other data and framing, eg hospital data, information about the rise and increased transmissibility of new variants, and framing things along the lines of 'get a booster to save Christmas'.

And yes they were especially keen to de-emphasise R when they were moving away from wanting people to pay attention to and react to the rise of case numbers. This has been ongoing since early 2021 in this country. It was an incomplete mission this time last year, whih is why some people were still put out there to talk shit about 'endemic equilibrium' when Delta came along and caused an enduring wave. That shit hasnt been deemed necessary this time around, for various reasons including having at least superficially dealt with 'the pingdemic' by removing the requirements to self-isolate. The reality is messier than that, disruption still happens and new waves still get some coverage.

Official estimates for R had some obvious limitations even when they were being relied on heavily by authorities and public communications. They were and still are a bit laggy, tending not to show the situation as quickly as mass testing data (when we still had such systems) and not really being much more timely than hospital admissions data.

All the same there are contradictions at this stage, including in what I've said above. Because these days the ONS estimates have taken their place. These are also laggy, but not quite as laggy as R estimates, and are at least framed in the manner of '1 in 20 people had covid that week' which people can grasp. These being mentioned in the media every week contradicts what I was saying about authorities no longer wanting people to pay attention to infection levels. The most gung-ho of those in power would like to have ditched such indicators long before now, but since the situation can still be delicate at times, the least they can do is hedge their bets by keeping that stuff in place just in case. Its availability also adds a little bit more credibility to their rhetoric about the public 'using their own judgement' about risks and behaviour, since if there were no indicators available at all that people could use to assess personal risk, that rhetoric would ring extra hollow, and that might undermine the normalcy agenda.

We're in another nasty COVID wave where I live in Northern Scotland. As many as 1 in 20 people have it here and dozens of people I know through work or socially have had it or are going through it since the beginning of June. It's as bad as it was last Christmas round my way.

The indifference / desperation not to talk about it / pretend it isn't happening, is staggering.

By the way the R estimates are still produced, they just dont get any media attention these days (and of course there are no covid press conferences or nervous SAGE reports) and are updated too infrequently to be the most useful indicator.

Eg for England:

24 June 2022
The R range for England is 1.1 to 1.4 and the growth rate range for England is +2% to +5% per day as of 24 June 2022.

That was the first update since 24th May, and there are also regional breakdowns that I'm not bothering to quote here.

Following various links leads me to these figures for Scotland:
  • The reproduction rate R in Scotland is currently estimated as being between 1.0 and 1.2, as at 7th June. Both the lower and upper limits have increased since last publication (on 26th May 2022).
  • The daily growth rate for Scotland is currently estimated as between +1% and +4% as at 7th June. Both the lower and upper limits have increased since last publication (on 26th May 2022).

From https://www.gov.scot/binaries/content/documents/govscot/publications/research-and-analysis/2022/06/coronavirus-covid-19-modelling-epidemic-issue-no-1022/documents/coronavirus-covid-19-modelling-epidemic-scotland-issue-no-102/coronavirus-covid-19-modelling-epidemic-scotland-issue-no-102/govscot:document/coronavirus-covid-19-modelling-epidemic-scotland-issue-no-102.pdf

So yeah, too laggy for me to routinely focus on.

Last edited:
We're in another nasty COVID wave where I live in Northern Scotland. As many as 1 in 20 people have it here and dozens of people I know through work or socially have had it or are going through it since the beginning of June. It's as bad as it was last Christmas round my way.

The indifference / desperation not to talk about it / pretend it isn't happening, is staggering.
The media are dutifully doing their bit I presume.

What we've seen in the last year or so and especially these days, offers clues about what things would have been like if the original pandemic waves had not so obviously threatened healthcare and death processing systems. What we would have seen if the 'keep calm and carry on' agenda had not died by mid March 2020. The obvious difference is that the amount of hospitalisations and deaths were far too high in the first few waves to be able to stick to that once the shit really hit the fan. Authorities could not realistically expect that calm, downplayed news coverage would be accepted by the media classes as the responsible thing to do.

The way the enduring crisis in parts of the system such as ambulances over the last year has been covered so weakly is an example of how far that bullshit can be pushed and accepted in more normal times though. We were only saved from the coldest establishment calculations by the sheer scale of the pandemic crisis in the first year, and now we are back to business as usual.

Last edited:
I've had two texts now seeing I'm eligible for a booster vaccination - I'm 44, are they giving boosters to my age group now? I've totally lost track.

Or is it aimed at my son, as I'd be the phone number they have for him; he would be due a 2nd vaxx next month if he's due one, and again, I'm not clear whether they're giving 2nd doses to under 12s? I suppose I could just try to book one for him and see what happens.

I rang up yesterday to make an appointment to see a friend of mine in a dementia home in South Croydon.
They are closed for visits at the moment due to Coronavirus. "Try in a couple of weeks"

Last time I went - 13th May - they tested me on the way in and issued a mask.

I've had two texts now seeing I'm eligible for a booster vaccination - I'm 44, are they giving boosters to my age group now? I've totally lost track.

Or is it aimed at my son, as I'd be the phone number they have for him; he would be due a 2nd vaxx next month if he's due one, and again, I'm not clear whether they're giving 2nd doses to under 12s? I suppose I could just try to book one for him and see what happens.
Nothing new got activated recently in terms of a brand new booster campaign for adults - the most recent booster campaign was for over 75s and those with particular health issues affecting immune systems. If you fall into that group for a health reason and have just reached 6 months since your last booster then it could be for you.

I'm not so clued up about doses for children but I just got the following off this page:

Children can get a 1st dose of the vaccine from the day they turn 5.

Most children can get a 2nd dose from 12 weeks after they had their 1st dose.

If your child has a condition that means they're at high risk from COVID-19 or they live with someone who has a weakened immune system, they can get a 2nd dose from 8 weeks after they had their 1st dose.

If your child is aged 12 to 15 and at high risk from COVID-19, they can also get a booster dose of the COVID-19 vaccine if they had a 2nd dose at least 3 months ago.

If your child is aged 5 or over and had a severely weakened immune system when they had their first 2 doses, they can get an additional primary dose (3rd dose) of the COVID-19 vaccine.

Nothing new got activated recently in terms of a brand new booster campaign for adults - the most recent booster campaign was for over 75s and those with particular health issues affecting immune systems. If you fall into that group for a health reason and have just reached 6 months since your last booster then it could be for you.

I'm not so clued up about doses for children but I just got the following off this page:

Hmm. I'm immunocompromised and got my booster in October. Not heard anything about another jab/booster. :confused:

Hmm. I'm immunocompromised and got my booster in October. Not heard anything about another jab/booster. :confused:
Looks like the gap was only supposed to be 3 months for that category too, not the 6 months I mentioned earlier.

However I obviously cant really tell individuals with particular health conditions whether they should have been included or not. The general info page is here and its the 'spring booster' that I was referring to.

My advice would be to try booking and/or speak to someone in the health service.

Todays data showed that daily hospital admissions/diagnoses for England reached 1,438 on June 27th. They had gotten as low as around the 400 mark towards the end of May/early June.

Covid patients in mechanical ventilation beds in England got down below 120 briefly in early June but are now up to the 200+ sort of level. So still low enough that there wont be all that much establishment alarm at the sharp end of things, but still not a welcome trend at all.

Covid patients in hospital beds in England got as low as 3,800 on June 1st but are now up to 8,587. That figure will include 'incidental' cases and hospital acquired cases, with more details about the 'for' and 'with' covid breakdown available in data that comes out tomorrow.

My children all had covid in March, just as vaccinations became available, so we hadn't got them vaccinated as you had to wait 12 weeks I think.

Now they have all come down with a horrendous "summer cold" :hmm: Raging fevers, headache, sore throats/lost voices, coughs. Basically exactly the same as they had in March. All missing school yet again. But no testing this time and even if they did test positive they only have to be off school for 3 days!

A similar picture in Scottish data (that comes out less often). Covid patients in hospital got as low as 597 on 4th June but reached 1,298 on 27th June. 4 Covid patients in mechanical ventilation beds there on May 29th and 30th, rose to 16 by June 27th.

Maybe I will do a graph of some possible hospital acquired case numbers for England shortly.

Back
Top Bottom