Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

It's going to feel really strange not wearing one...it's been over two years for me as they were made compulsory very quickly in Turkey (where I was at the start of the pandemic.) I suppose I'll wear it for the last part of my journey - would be pretty shit to get covid just as I arrive back home and have lots of plans. But then I'll want to do social stuff.
Wear one if you want to though why only for the last part of your journey? :confused: (I'm also still wearing one inside, had no hassle for doing so.)

Wear one if you want to though why only for the last part of your journey? :confused: (I'm also still wearing one inside, had no hassle for doing so.)
Oh I didn't mean only for the last part. I had a very long journey and masks were compulsory throughout, apart from the last bit in the UK (although you would have thought they weren't compulsory on the flight from Dubai too, which was full of Brits...)

Oh I didn't mean only for the last part. I had a very long journey and masks were compulsory throughout, apart from the last bit in the UK (although you would have thought they weren't compulsory on the flight from Dubai too, which was full of Brits...)
I can't help feeling now in my "liberal" enclave, that people have lost the will to care - or perhaps, as is my own concern as an always masked 62 year old last vaccinated 6 months ago - is that they've accepted that future "boosting" is going to be via natural infection...

Last edited:
I can't help feeling now in my "liberal" enclave, that people have lost the will to care - or perhaps, as is my own concern as an always masked 62 year old last vaccinated 6 months ago - is that they've accepted that future "boosting" is going to be via natural infection...
I've known a few older people, some with other illnesses, who had covid recently and it was...mild, for all of them. I think when people see the effects of vaccination like that, it becomes difficult to stay focused on the few people on the unlucky end of the statistics. And of course long covid is a minor thing that the media only mentions now and then, so no need to worry about that.

Rumours at work (Hospital) that no one including staff will be required to wear a mask in the next two weeks. Non public facing staff have already ditched them.

I shall report back.

prompted me to have a look at the dashboard, which I haven't done for a few weeks.

About three weeks ago, it looked like numbers were levelling off and possibly about to rise again - and a Tim Spector video speculated that another rise was coming.

That doesn't seem to be what has happened so far though. Deaths appear to be continuing on a downwards trajectory. The ZOE study data doesn't show a rise in infections at this point.

Screenshot 2022-06-02 at 11.41.44.jpg
Screenshot 2022-06-02 at 11.42.11.jpg
Screenshot 2022-06-02 at 11.42.37.jpg

I'm still in the ONS infection survey and the word from that is another surge is expected in winter and that there will be another booster push before then in the same way there was last year. Long term aim is for an annual booster along with a flu jab.

I'm still in the ONS infection survey and the word from that is another surge is expected in winter and that there will be another booster push before then in the same way there was last year. Long term aim is for an annual booster along with a flu jab.
I'm still worried about catching it in the meantime - six months after my last booster - my worst flu ever was in April / May 2019 - though I suppose if I'd been vaccinated it would have been November ...

My in-laws were invited to get another booster a few weeks ago - they're in their mid-80s. Don't think my parents (mid-70s) have had anything through yet though.

My in-laws were invited to get another booster a few weeks ago - they're in their mid-80s. Don't think my parents (mid-70s) have had anything through yet though.
Yeah it's a bit haphazard among more vulnerable patients. The person taking my test this month said some people have had 5 doses!

Well as of May 13th, attempts to quantify the uptake of the spring booster vaccine suggested that just under 80% of the eligible over-75s had received their extra spring booster:

As for the plan for autumn of this year, on May 19th interim advice from the JVCI was revealed, and it doesnt involve population-wide coverage. Its more like how they target the flu vaccine. However, since there is currently a lack of understanding of quite what impact waning will have on future hospitalisations once much more time has passed, it is quite possible that this plan could change if data emerges from any country in the meantime that implies more will need to be offered.

The JCVI’s current view is that in autumn 2022, a COVID-19 vaccine should be offered to:

• residents in a care home for older adults and staff
  • frontline health and social care workers
  • all those 65 years of age and over
  • adults aged 16 to 64 years who are in a clinical risk group

prompted me to have a look at the dashboard, which I haven't done for a few weeks.

About three weeks ago, it looked like numbers were levelling off and possibly about to rise again - and a Tim Spector video speculated that another rise was coming.

That doesn't seem to be what has happened so far though. Deaths appear to be continuing on a downwards trajectory. The ZOE study data doesn't show a rise in infections at this point.
I was certainly relieved that it didnt shoot straight back up in the manner that happened when BA.2 was taking over from BA.1.

However there are tentative signs of it rising again recently, via anecdotes, hospital admissions data (more on that later) and now the ONS:

I hope its a modest rise this summer but I have no predictions.

First I should point out that I'm spending very little time observing pandemic news at the moment.

In regards the 'for' and 'with' number of Covid patients in hospital beds in England, here is the most recent picture, with data going up to June 7th. Number of patients being treated primarily for covid managed to fall to levels not seen since before the Delta wave really ramped up. Incidental 'with' levels didnt make it back down below the pre-Omicron levels seen, despite various changes to the in-hospital testing regimes in recent months. And both of these look to be starting to show another turning point now, but I dont want to say much about that until more data accumulates. In theory we can use the 'with' figures as one of the indicators of general levels of infection.

Screenshot 2022-06-10 at 14.33.jpg
Made with data for England from the primary diagnosis supplement spreadsheet at Statistics » COVID-19 Hospital Activity

In terms of daily Covid hospital admissions/diagnoses for England, the bottoming out and small rise is also visible, though these figures dont differentiate between the 'for' and 'with cases:

There does not seem to be much prospect of these figures returning to the very low levels seen after the two big lockdowns effects had been seen in full, when variants with different properties were around, which is sadly not surprising (although I'm certainly not sad that we didnt end up with more lockdowns).

Screenshot 2022-06-10 at 14.40.jpg

Last edited:
Have they decided that vaccines, the thing they were pinning everything on, aren't needed any more? I had my last one in November. Even in that shithole of a country USA I heard someone my own age saying he's getting his 2nd booster.

Face masks in clinical areas no longer required unless it is ICU or a suspected covid or confirmed covid case and pre covid visiting resumed. (In my hospital trust)

Dunno why I 'wowed' that really as heard it's coming here to this Trust too soon. Staff been moaning not here already. Nobody wearing on in non-clinical areas from last week, and hardly any patient or visitors have since then.

Face masks in clinical areas no longer required unless it is ICU or a suspected covid or confirmed covid case and pre covid visiting resumed. (In my hospital trust)
I was at my local hospital (Homerton) the other day and it's still full mask wearing everywhere. They're also still handing out masks to folk without on the way in. I've a GP appointment this afternoon and they've just sent me a text reminding me that mask wearing is compulsory.

Have they decided that vaccines, the thing they were pinning everything on, aren't needed any more? I had my last one in November. Even in that shithole of a country USA I heard someone my own age saying he's getting his 2nd booster.
Repeated reinfection seems to have replaced vaccination

some of us haven't had it yet!
Can't be sure about that. Some people who have had it would never have known having been asymptomatic. This is especially true for many younger people.

Others who have had it have experienced symptoms identical to a cold, and with test kits no longer free for most people, many wouldn't have bothered testing.

And there has been a particular problem with test reliability with the omicron variant, because the tests often give false negative results.

Can't be sure about that. Some people who have had it would never have known having been asymptomatic. This is especially true for many younger people.

Others who have had it have experienced symptoms identical to a cold, and with test kits no longer free for most people, many wouldn't have bothered testing.

And there has been a particular problem with test reliability with the omicron variant, because the tests often give false negative results.

I can be pretty sure that some of us haven't had it yet, even if I can't say with 100% that I personally haven't. Especially true for older people or people who would likely not cope well with it. I would love to think I had it mildly enough to not know I had it. I am 99.9% sure I haven't had it. I've had PCR tests every time I've had possible symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom