Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

I also note the uncomfortable dance such articles perform these days, at least BBC ones. It doesnt really want to mention Covid. But of course it has to mention it, and more than once. But as long as possible is spent on non-covid matters, and Covid is mentioned in a narrow way. So it gets mentioned in the context of the backlog, and the difficulties that covid infection prevention measures cause. The bits that discuss current Covid pressures are kept to a minimum, and apparently these days it is obligatory for the BBC to show the data only in terms of 'for' and 'with' cases, with no discussion about where we are at with the current waves peaks or plateaus, or the idea of trying to do something directly about it.

Unlike the earlier Independent article I mentioned the other day, the BBC dont tend to dwell on what large chunk of 'with' cases caught it in hospital, nor in this case do they even bother with the high level of Covid staff absences, or the quotes from healthcare leaders begging the government for new public health measures to reduce the Covid burden.

And so the BBC continues to be an excellent guide as to how emphasis and omission are used to frame things, how propaganda works during very different phases of pandemic policy. The 'protect the NHS' mantra feels long ago.

The latest ONS infection survey continues to show what was expected, although it seems the ONS are still resisting making any claims that we are beyond the peak:

SInce I've just been going on about BBC framing, I should mention that the end of that article does mention hospital admissions trends. Although I also note the following clunky use of language at the start of the article:

About 4.4 million people had the virus in their body in the week up to 9 April

I'm not sure I recall them using the phrase 'had the virus in their body' before, but maybe they did and I just didnt notice.

Cases of hepatitis among young children without a connection to the known hepatitis viruses but possibly with a link to SARS-CoV-2

On 5 April 2022, WHO was notified of 10 cases of severe acute hepatitis of unknown aetiology in children under the age of 10 years, across central Scotland. By 8 April, 74 cases had been identified in the United Kingdom. Hepatitis viruses (A, B, C, E, and D where applicable) have been excluded after laboratory testing while further investigations are ongoing to understand the aetiology of these cases. Given the increase in cases reported over the past one month and enhanced case search activities, more cases are likely to be reported in the coming days.
Laboratory testing has excluded hepatitis type A, B, C, and E viruses (and D where applicable) in these cases while Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus type 2 (SARS-CoV-2) and/or adenovirus have been detected in several cases. The United Kingdom has recently observed an increase in adenovirus activity, which is co-circulating with SARS-CoV-2, though the role of these viruses in the pathogenesis (mechanism by which disease develops) is not yet clear. No other epidemiological risk factors have been identified to date, including recent international travel. Overall, the aetiology of the current hepatitis cases is still considered unknown and remains under active investigation.

Last edited:
Yeah the BBC covered this a bit earlier, with higher numbers, but I didnt post it here because I hadnt got anything useful to add and a COVID link isnt established. They have ruled out COVID vaccines though as the children in question were not vaccinated.

Health officials are now investigating a total of 74 cases of hepatitis - or liver inflammation - in children across the UK since the start of this year.

They believe that the common adenovirus could be the cause, but they have still not ruled out Covid-19.

Officials are examining 49 cases in England, 13 in Scotland and 12 across Wales and Northern Ireland.

The UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) said parents should be on the lookout for symptoms such as jaundice.

I believe there are reports of the same phenomenon in Europe and the USA too, but I havent read them yet.

The Daily Mail were ranting on their front page the other day about how many civil servants are still working from home. And now Rees-Mogg is piling on the pressure:

The narrow and stupid priorities of this country will continue to serve us badly.

Cases of hepatitis among young children without a connection to the known hepatitis viruses but possibly with a link to SARS-CoV-2
Also seen in the US, Spain, Netherlands and Denmark:
Mysterious hepatitis outbreak sickens young children in Europe as CDC probes cases in Alabama

Details of the Scottish cases provided in the Eurosurveillance bulletin DOI: 10.2807/1560-7917.ES.2022.27.15.2200318.

Could perhaps be a new adenovirus variant or a new pathogenesis arising from co-infection or sequential infection with SARS-CoV-2.

I cant read the article due to a lack of paid subscription, but the HSJ reports that "A significant relaxation of infection control guidance has been announced in a bid to free up more capacity to tackle substantial waiting lists and demand for emergency care."

Another HSJ article about the removal of infection control procedures in hospitals. Unlike the previous one, I was able to read this one as part of their free pandemic articles that required registration but not a paid subscription.

A constant theme is the need to balance infection risks against the risks that resulting reduced capacity create. Even I acknowledge such risks, but do not believe that the balance is appropriately struck in this country. The ideal balance is not possible due to resource issues, but more could still have been done.

Trust chiefs will welcome the latest relaxation in infection control rules, but the spread of covid within hospital settings remains a significant risk.

New updated guidance from national bodies represents another major scaling back in infection control measures in hospitals.

The changes will see a relaxation in isolation requirements for inpatients who either test positive for covid-19, or are identified as close contacts of covid cases.

Intriguingly, NHS England has now also relaxed its own infection control advice to hospitals over and above the UK-wide guidance released last week.

A letter to trust chiefs recommended the “[return] of pre-pandemic physical distancing in all areas” – whereas the guidance published by the UK Health Security Agency still recommends one metre distancing in healthcare settings, rising to two metres in areas where suspected or confirmed respiratory infections are being cared for.

While NHS England sees the latest changes to the national guidance as “a step in the transition back to pre-pandemic IPC measures”, there are still remaining measures which have the potential to significantly impact patient flow.

Among these are the recommendations that patients with respiratory symptoms should still be isolated from other patients in the hospital, in single rooms where possible, and patients with confirmed respiratory infections should be cohorted with patients confirmed to have the same infections.

In the week to 14 April, 22 per cent of covid cases in hospital were detected eight days or more after a patient was admitted – meeting the NHSE definition of “probable” hospital acquired, or “nosocomial” infection. This is one of the highest proportions of “probable” hospital-caught covid throughout the entire pandemic.

The percentages have been far higher at some individual trusts.

Latest 'for' and 'with' Covid patients in hospital beds in England. Data goes up to April 19th and is from the Primary Diagnoses Supplement spreadsheet available at Statistics » COVID-19 Hospital Activity

Plenty of the 'with' cases caught it in hospital but I'm not ready to show that data at the moment, will try to do so sometime in the next week.

Screenshot 2022-04-21 at 14.06.jpg

Also seen in the US, Spain, Netherlands and Denmark:
Mysterious hepatitis outbreak sickens young children in Europe as CDC probes cases in Alabama

Details of the Scottish cases provided in the Eurosurveillance bulletin DOI: 10.2807/1560-7917.ES.2022.27.15.2200318.

Could perhaps be a new adenovirus variant or a new pathogenesis arising from co-infection or sequential infection with SARS-CoV-2.
Latest BBC article continues to primarily put adenovirus in the frame:

Sadly, Welsh covid deaths now exceed 10,000.
Beeb coverage ... with some other [useful] data.

Considering the virtual abandonment of T&T and vastly reduced testing (including in Hospitals which absolutely baffles me) I cant see how anyone can say things are improving

Considering the virtual abandonment of T&T and vastly reduced testing (including in Hospitals which absolutely baffles me) I cant see how anyone can say things are improving
ONS infection survey, ZOE app are still capable of providing useful wave trend indications. I do have to take more care interpreting hospital admissions data these days due to testing changes, but the trends in that likely still tell us something too. Combine these things and its still possible to fairly claim that the current wave already peaked a while ago.

The ONS infection survey is based on household sampling and it has not been ruined by policy changes in regards testing (yet). Its a bit laggy, but is still very useful.

The HSJ did a podcast the other day about the relaxation of infection control measures in hospitals. The second part of the podcast moves on to looking at the cancer diagnoses and treatment woes.

The Wales stats confuse me a bit, but they seems to me to show its rife as fuck in Hospitals right now

https://public.tableau.com/app/prof.../RapidCOVID-19virology-Public/Headlinesummary

P.S. about 1 in 8 inpatients being confirmed cases...I suppose that shouldnt surprise me
I was up A&E with a relative a couple of weeks back and it was chaos. They would have normally admitted him given his condition and history, but the doc sent him home with lots of monitoring and community nursing as the risk was just too high on the wards.

Could someone indulge me on a purely personal q? My partner got Covid around 2 weeks ago. I had a couple of -ve tests over the next couple of days, even though I started with a cough last Sunday. I eventually got a +ve test last Tuesday, which I repeated again this morning (a clear positive, not some faint line thingy). So, I've had it a week give or take and I've still got the dry cough, though the fever has gone.

My question is how long to isolate. When government last had any advice it was to isolate for 5days, but not meet anyone who is vulnerable for 10 days. I also know you are most infectious just before and after exhibiting symptoms. Anyway, to get to it... is it a good idea to isolate a bit longer, specifically because I've still got symptoms? Unlike our government, I have concerns about passing it on to other people.

My question is how long to isolate. When government last had any advice it was to isolate for 5days, but not meet anyone who is vulnerable for 10 days. I also know you are most infectious just before and after exhibiting symptoms. Anyway, to get to it... is it a good idea to isolate a bit longer, specifically because I've still got symptoms? Unlike our government, I have concerns about passing it on to other people.

I'd say yes - there's still a small chance of being infectious after the 10 days.

Yeah tbh I think while youre still testing positive on a LFT you are to some degree infectious. But once you start getting a faint line etc probably less so (correct me if im wrong guys).

I assumed this with a lady Ive been sleeping with anyway :D She got covid and I didnt. And carried on testing positive for 12 days. I was happy to wait until a firm clear negative to be honest!

Yeah tbh I think while youre still testing positive on a LFT you are to some degree infectious. But once you start getting a faint line etc probably less so (correct me if im wrong guys).

I assumed this with a lady Ive been sleeping with anyway :D She got covid and I didnt. And carried on testing positive for 12 days. I was happy to wait until a firm clear negative to be honest!
Yeah, to mix my metaphors, I'm taking the point when I downgrade to a faint line to be my green light.

Good luck with your further 'testing'. :thumbs:

Latest child hepatitus story suggests mounting adenovirus evidence, although a couple of covid-related things are still mentioned int he broader article.

Altered risk profile due to being exposed at an older age due to covid restrictions reducing chances of catching it earlier would be an unfortunate cause, though we are used to that sort of concept with a bunch of other illnesses.

I think like many, since Ukraine has dominated the news and regulations on Covid-19 have been withdrawn I have paid less attention and have stopped wearing a mask as one example of relaxation of my guard.

Right now a colleague just returned recovered from it, another has just returned to work after a nasty bout of it. Another worker has not come in today because he just got it, and a third went down with it at the weekend.

Looking back, this is the most affected my workplace has been since the very beginning.

Recently published ONS survey of over a million Englanders indicating 70% + have antibodies from a covid infection (distinct from antibodies due vaccination) Data is before latest Omicron peak so has to be an underestimate)

The Wales stats confuse me a bit, but they seems to me to show its rife as fuck in Hospitals right now

https://public.tableau.com/app/prof.../RapidCOVID-19virology-Public/Headlinesummary

P.S. about 1 in 8 inpatients being confirmed cases...I suppose that shouldnt surprise me

As I posted in the "Have you had Covid-19?" thread, I was (PCR) tested Covid-positive while I was in (a Welsh) hospital**

** [for which see 'My Left Foot' thread in H + S subforum]

I'm sceptical (?) that I actually caught it in hospital though, as I was tested the day after I was admitted.

The duty-Doctors classed my infection as 'Low Covid' (this is a special 'hospital category', no?) and suggested that it might be the tail-end of an old, prior infection -- I had no symptoms at all throughout.

I've since (LFT) tested negative at home (I'll test again tomorrow to double-check).

Apologies for semi-derail .... :oops:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom