Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

I think this might be the peak so far of 'people I know with covid at the same time'

It feels crazy round here. I had a doctors appointment this morning and most of the doctors are off sick. Two of my colleagues tested positive over the weekend (one is quite rough, and the other is waiting on heart surgery so not ideal), I was going to cover for them this afternoon, but I've just had a message that 4 out of 6 of the team who were coming in have all tested positive too

Yeah, got two colleagues, one kid in son's class (which will soon be more then) and her sister, 5 or 6 mates.

Another little indicator here In the midlands is that last week the BBC had to cancel the east midlands version of Midlands Today due to Covid staff shortages, temporarily switching viewers in that region to watching the west midlands version instead.

Another little indicator here In the midlands is that last week the BBC had to cancel the east midlands version of Midlands Today due to Covid staff shortages, temporarily switching viewers in that region to watching the west midlands version instead.

BBC South Today has been welcoming viewers from Oxford in the last week, this could complain why.

BBC South Today has been welcoming viewers from Oxford in the last week, this could complain why.

Viewer served by the Oxford transmitter normally get a modified version of South Today, where about half the broadcast is different to the main South Today, featuring stuff produced in Oxford and covering events more relevant to their region.

Yeah, probably reasonable to assume that covid staffing issues have scuppered the Oxford edition for a time recently, in much the same way as what I described has happened to the east midlands news service.

They havent tended to acknowledge this in any detail on the programmes - viewers in particular places being briefly welcomed at the start of the programme was certainly the main indication here, in our case Nottingham and Derby viewers were welcomed to our Birmingham-based news programme. I think some people moaned and yesterday the programme went out of its way to actually include some news from those places.

Last edited:
Mask mandates abolished today in Wales and its like a fucking on off switch, im surrounded by fucking idiots
ZERO masks in Tesco earlier - with case rate of nearly 1600 per 100k locally - twice the England average, 1.5 times the Bristol average ..
I found myself rehearsing a come-back - thankfully it hasn't been needed yet - perhaps my grey hair marks me out as a scared OAP ...

...in our case Nottingham and Derby viewers were welcomed to our Birmingham-based news programme. I think some people moaned and yesterday the programme went out of its way to actually include some news from those places.

I bet they moaned, who wants to hear that Midland Metro has been taken out service yet again

I ordered a pack of LFTs around 08.00 on Saturday and received them today. They’re the original tonsil-swab type, my last few packs have just been nostril swabs, with the reactant already in the dropper. I’m not bothered about tonsil-swabbing but the other type are much easier.

Impossible to get LFTs here. I am recovering from covid and have an event on weds, have hoarded one test to see if I'm negative before going. Official guidance is two days in a row negative but they're so hard to come by.

Went to grab LFT after doing the form to collect. Local pharmacy says the NHS stopped supplying them last week.

So we're looking at least a week before the 31st deadline so someone's taking the piss with that deadline

Went to grab LFT after doing the form to collect. Local pharmacy says the NHS stopped supplying them last week.

So we're looking at least a week before the 31st deadline so someone's taking the piss with that deadline
I expect they attempted to buy enough that they would run out on the 31st rather than having any left over. But there has been some understandable (given the cost of buying privately) hoarding behaviour which has messed up their calculations.

I expect they attempted to buy enough that they would run out on the 31st rather than having any left over. But there has been some understandable (given the cost of buying privately) hoarding behaviour which has messed up their calculations.

Wife works for NHS so I'm hoping she's got more options than I have.

Government are a bunch of profiteering cunts.

couldn't order any tests today, someone else I spoke to said it had been so for a few days.

I've not been able to order any online for over a week.

I've been trying and failing to order some online. Instead today I went to a local mobile test centre; they have a stand next to it, where packs are being given out free. You just tell them your postcode. Not sure they even write it down. They apparently run out around mid-morning.

Don't know whether that's the case for places, especially if more remote, other than London (or even other boroughs in London) but worth a shot?

Insert something about the People's Front of Jusea here Splitters!

Isn't it based on the ONS survey?

The interactive maps on the dashboard are based on the main testing system rather than the ONS survey. I pay little attention to this data these days, since the main testing regime & rules were too subject to rules changes, test availability etc, and thats obviously about to get worse with the loss of free lateral flow tests. I rely far more on ONS data even though its laggy. And other stuff like ZOE. I still use the hospital data from the dashboard though, since that hasnt been decimated (yet).

I've been trying and failing to order some online. Instead today I went to a local mobile test centre; they have a stand next to it, where packs are being given out free. You just tell them your postcode. Not sure they even write it down. They apparently run out around mid-morning.

Don't know whether that's the case for places, especially if more remote, other than London (or even other boroughs in London) but worth a shot?
I see, will try and reach windrush square in time tomorrow or thursday, I only just noticed this morning that they had dismantled the test centre outside my estate despite walking past it yesterday morning.

e2a: the medisave website where I get my FFP2 from have tests for sale, not cheap but I'll need some for work as I'm not sure contracting for the NHS in a face to face role entitles me to their testing regime.

I see, will try and reach windrush square in time tomorrow or thursday, I only just noticed this morning that they had dismantled the test centre outside my estate despite walking past it yesterday morning.

e2a: the medisave website where I get my FFP2 from have tests for sale, not cheap but I'll need some for work as I'm not sure contracting for the NHS in a face to face role entitles me to their testing regime.

Peace Pharmacy on Coldharbour lane had supplies in this afternoon if it’s not too far out of your way.

Back
Top Bottom