Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus - worldwide breaking news, discussion, stats, updates and more

Just read this on Twitter if this is anywhere near genuine we should all be fucking petrified

italy is basically triaging patients for ITU if you are old or have co-mobidities they are deciding not to treat you. i.e you are not worth risking material and man power to save within the capacity of the health system

let that sink in.......

I’m hoping it’s called out as fake.......

So after I finished gulping reading that I now need (as a cancer patient) to teach loved ones how to tube me.

What fucking tube? A sterile siphon tube? Something off the net? Can anyone specify please?

Still reeling from reading this. I am going to have to look after myself.

So after I finished gulping reading that I now need (as a cancer patient) to teach loved ones how to tube me.

What fucking tube? A sterile siphon tube? Something off the net? Can anyone specify please?

Still reeling from reading this. I am going to have to look after myself.

No, it's short for intubation. Highly specialized procedure to control the airway of an unconscious patient. Not a learning through watching a Youtube tutorial thing.

No, it's short for intubation. Highly specialized procedure to control the airway of an unconscious patient. Not a learning through watching a Youtube tutorial thing.
A sterile siphon tube down the gob and into the lung, dont bruise the sides. Dont panic. Dont vomit. Then what?

A sterile siphon tube down the gob and into the lung, dont bruise the sides. Dont panic. Dont vomit. Then what?

You won't panic, you're fucking unconsious, or in emergency cases when they do it you're effectively dead. Then they move air/oxygen in and out of your lungs though a bag (in emergencies) or through a machine (ICU). Having knocked you out first. And then keeping you sedated. While monitoring all your vitals. Specialized work for a team of people.

As for the veracity of that twitter account, the detail and sentiment is pretty consistent with other similar reports. But I dont need to verify what they say anyway, we have data on number of cases in intensive care in Italy.

I have thrown together some of those numbers. There were plenty holes in the info I had for February, but I included a couple of Feb numbers anyway.

View attachment 201206

So roughly doubling every 5 days then. Italy left their distancing measures too late it would seem. I note a fair few number of doctors are in ICU and one has already died.

Quoting this partly because I dont think I will have many other chances to use the phrase liberty cap style headgear during this pandemic.

Despite warnings over mass gatherings and the spread of the coronavirus, the mayor of a small town in France has defended a record-breaking rally of people dressed as Smurfs that went ahead in France over the weekend.

Just a day before French authorities banned all gatherings of more than 1,000 people, in a bid to contain the virus, more than 3,500 painted their faces blue and donned the cartoon characters’ liberty cap style headgear for the gathering in Landerneau, western France.

The Smurf rally drew criticism particularly from the media in Italy, which is battling Europe’s most intense outbreak. But Patrick Leclerc, mayor of Landerneau, said:

We must not stop living... it was the chance to say that we are alive

17m ago 15:42

It's in part because British travellers are importing the disease into Greece and Greece had not quarantine set up for them. Another 5 cases in Greece all from Britain.

Ulan Bator has been quarantined.

Lombardia is asking for a decree for all shops except pharmacies and food shops to be shut.

Austria has banned events with over 100 people, all religious services and will shut universities from tomorrow.

Belgium to ban all events with over 1000 people.

All schools in northern Cyprus to be closed starting tomorrow.

Largest hospital in Nicosia has its cardiology department go on lockdown cancelling appointments and surgeries because a doctor there is confirmed positive.
Government promises more action.

Macedonia has shut nurseries, schools, universities all sport to be held behind closed doors. spectators in the next 30 days.

Germany's testing has overtaken Britain's.
Westfalia has banned all events with over 1000.
Bavaria has done the same and delayed its university term starting from next week to some point in April.

A senior Polish general is confirmed positive in Warsaw.
Warsaw and some other places in Poland have shut all universities.

Harvard has put all classes online and next term will be done online.

Kerala has closed theatres, schools, universities for the foreseeable future.

Anecdotally feels as if there is an uptick in delaying action in many countries, also in higher education.

Why would a hospital doctor be making this sort of stuff up? For fun?
It is entirely true- no admissions to ITU in Italy over 65yrs. I hear no admission if less than that with significant comorbidities.
Chances of survival are much higher in the younger cohort, with shorter time to extubation- i.e. you can get two patients through a ventilator rather than one in time x.

It's in part because British travellers are importing the disease into Greece and Greece had not quarantine set up for them. Another 5 cases in Greece all from Britain.

Why would it be British travellers, and not travellers from other European counties with far more cases?

Or -"Coronavirus cases in Greece tripled in recent days when travelers who had returned from a pilgrimage to Israel and Egypt were detected with the virus. Among them, a 65-year-old man battling pneumonia in a hospital isolation unit in the western port city of Patras." SOURCE

Why is a google search not coming up with anything to suggest that it is British travellers? Where have you got this from, twitter?

Surely the gov will have to announce closure of schools and universities this week?

Yes we are behind other countries in cases but not for long. And I am shocked by the lack of awareness and information in general. And lack of soap and hand sanitiser publically and visibly available. The authorities are really going to have to pull their finger out.

It is entirely true- no admissions to ITU in Italy over 65yrs. I hear no admission if less than that with significant comorbidities.
Cross-posting this quote from the Italy thread because it's so :eek::
Lombardy is the most developed region in Italy and it has a extraordinary good healthcare, I have worked in Italy, UK and Aus and don’t make the mistake to think that what is happening is happening in a 3rd world country. The current situation is difficult to imagine and numbers do not explain things at all. Our hospitals are overwhelmed by Covid-19, they are running 200% capacity.

We’ve stopped all routine, all ORs have been converted to ICUs and they are now diverting or not treating all other emergencies like trauma or strokes. There are hundreds of patients with severe respiratory failure and many of them do not have access to anything above a reservoir mask.

Patients above 65 or younger with comorbidities are not even assessed by ICU, I am not saying not tubed, I’m saying not assessed and no ICU staff attends when they arrest. Staff are working as much as they can but they are starting to get sick and are emotionally overwhelmed.

My friends call me in tears because they see people dying in front of them and they can only offer some oxygen.

National Guard called out in New York.

“This is the single greatest public health challenge we have in the state right now,” the governor said at a news conference.

He described the number of cases as going up “unabated”, as he outlined the special strategy for New Rochelle aimed at stopping the geographic spread of the virus.

National guard deployed to New York coronavirus hotspot

40 cases in Portugal , nearest to me us about 45/60 mins away . Football league looks like it will be played in closed stadiums , some museums and libraries temporarily closed in Porto and some concerts cancelled but that’s about it . Everyone still shaking hands and the famous two kisses on the cheek . Chinese shops and restaurants are closing but they say this is for a holiday .

So elbows why do you think Japan seems to have a different pattern to other countries affected by this virus?

Well I have a biased opinion of Japan when it comes to openness, transparency, bureaucracy, deference, media holding government to account, etc. Mostly because I followed the Fukushima nuclear accident rather closely.

I dont really know what the full story is with their data. Maybe its a combination of things but I would be surprised if deliberately not looking (low number of tests) was not a part of it.

i could give them the benefit of the doubt and say that various social distancing measures they brought in have made a difference. But then I'd have expected to see that showing up on the graph too, with a change in trajectory after those measures were implemented.

I didnt dedicate that much energy into driving myself crazy trying to find out, because again I know how that goes from Fukushima. Its easier to just ignore their data and look at other countries.

I do remember posting an article where South Korea was criticising Japans response to the crisis, I'll post it again if I stumble on it or find another example. Some narratives will no doubt suggest that the olympics is what has tempted them to distort the picture, but even without the olympics I'm afraid I'd have expected this sort of thing from Japan.

Back
Top Bottom