Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Commonwealth Games 2022 - Birmingham

Lord Camomile

Yipchaa!
So... the Commonwealth Games. How do we feel about that? :hmm:

To be perfectly honest the Commonwealth, and the games that bear its name, are both one of those things I have a passing understanding of what it is/was, but really none of the details.

But, I do like sports tournaments (or 'multi-sport events', as Wikipedia calls it).

Full schedule is on the event's website, and as you'd expect the BBC have their own day-by-day guide.

I like athletics so I might watch a bit, but generally don't see much point to it when there's no team GB, no USA, no major European countries or other big hitters like China, Japan etc. It seems like it's basically a glorified sports day for ex colonies of Britain which should've disappeared or replaced by something more inclusive ages ago. Hopefully it'll ultimately be a good thing for Birmingham though and encourage more kids into sports.

I'm not sure why we still have a Commonwealth, I think it's archaic, but I love multi-sport games so I'll be watching!

I hope to fuxk some one reading this is watching the opening ceremony

:D:D:D:eek::eek:

I keep swapping over to hedgehogs on BBC2 because we are shouting Nooooo too much at the screen and cringing

Highlights so far

UP inspired houses from round the commonwealth stranger thinged to the stadium

The entire back catalogue of shit British cars parked up in a rough estimation of a Union Jack

A BMXer crashing while Leaping a Land Rover

Plenty of graffiti

Dubbed performers wailing all sorts of codswallop doggerel

Daily wail readers must be losing their collective minds watching it

Genius

Last edited:
Can’t help thinking it would have been better with the 1650 version of the Commonwealth…

I'm not sure why we still have a Commonwealth, I think it's archaic, but I love multi-sport games so I'll be watching!
Had this discussion with my OH a few weeks back. As she's a teacher she perhaps rightly put forward that if it was called something else it would be like trying to erase history. I guess that is also part of the message of this opening ceremony. Yeah shit happened, let's not forget it, but lets make it better. Not too sure how some of the LGBT+ type messages will go down in some of those countries though.

Does seem a bit insane this happens so close to the world championships finishing.

For - every tech I know has huge amounts of work from it, a welcome change after the shit show of the last few years

Against - as my workplace is a venue for two sports, and is also the main athletes village, it’s a bloody nightmare getting around and I’ve lost access to my loading bay for a month :mad: :D

Not too sure how some of the LGBT+ type messages will go down in some of those countries though.
As it happens, just read this article: Daley campaigns for LGBT+ rights in Commonwealth

Olympic diving champion Tom Daley is campaigning for LGBT+ rights in the Commonwealth for a new BBC documentary.

It is illegal to be gay in more than half of the 54 countries competing at the Birmingham Commonwealth Games.
More than half :eek: :(

Will make this even more of a statement:

Then on Friday at Alexander Stadium, in a ceremony watched by more than one billion people, Daley will enter as a final batonbearer in the Queen's Baton Relay, accompanied by some of the athletes and advocates he meets on his journey and with the Progress Pride flag on display.

LGBT athletes will be able to wave the rainbow flag on the podium for the first time at the Games.

(Side note: a billion people will be watching?! :hmm: )

<edit: for ref, haven't been watching the ceremony so apols if that's already happened>

1 billion people will not be watching, LOL. Come on. I was going to say something about who gives a fuck but yeah enjoy if you’re going. Or watching it at home.

I like athletics so I might watch a bit, but generally don't see much point to it when there's no team GB, no USA, no major European countries or other big hitters like China, Japan etc. It seems like it's basically a glorified sports day for ex colonies of Britain which should've disappeared or replaced by something more inclusive ages ago. Hopefully it'll ultimately be a good thing for Birmingham though and encourage more kids into sports.
Tbf, I saw Usain Bolt in the relay final at the Glasgow 2014 ones. (It was absolutely chucking it down and he spent ages afterwards working the crowd because he'd said the games were a bit shit or something not long before :D.)

Tbf, I saw Usain Bolt in the relay final at the Glasgow 2014 ones. (It was absolutely chucking it down and he spent ages afterwards working the crowd because he'd said the games were a bit shit or something not long before :D.)

But that’s my point, while I’m sure Bolt was great to watch when there’s no Gatlin or Coleman or whoever it’s inevitably less good overall.

But that’s my point, while I’m sure Bolt was great to watch when there’s no Gatlin or Coleman or whoever it’s inevitably less good overall.
I don't understand your point, there's loads of athletics competitions where not everyone competes. Do you complain when the Diamond League only has a few of the top sprinters or do you enjoy it for what it is?

And why are your go-to examples for people at the top of their sports a pair of dopers? Doesn't say much for your love of athletics :facepalm:

I'll watch. I enjoy the competition/spectacle of it all. the rights or wrongs of the commonwealth is a debate for another time.

Back
Top Bottom