Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cilla Black dies, 72

Can anyone out there name a single one of her hits?

Yeah, some of her early stuff was pretty good . I've always liked it . Could never stand her but she was good before she turned evil .

Step inside love ..was her best IMHO . And the instrumental version with McCartney . She did a load of that burt Bacharach stuff back in the day . And I liked it . And anyone who scoffs can fuck off .

So there .

Don't give a toss shes dead mind . She's been dead to me for years .

Yeah, some of her early stuff was pretty good . I've always liked it . Could never stand her but she was good before she turned evil .

Step inside love ..was her best IMHO . And the instrumental version with McCartney . She did a load of that burt Bacharach stuff back in the day . And I liked it . And anyone who scoffs can fuck off .

So there .

Don't give a toss shes dead mind . She's been dead to me for years .

The song 'Anyone Who had a Heart' was powerful imv. Her voice had a loud and edgy rawness as she sang the chorus, yet she could deliver tender sweetness (as required) for the remainder of the song:

Of course at that time (50 years ago?) she had yet to drink quite so deeply from the hideous well of free market individualism, and was (maybe) altogether a better human being than the grasping hoarder of property that she became.

The song 'Anyone Who had a Heart' was powerful imv. Her voice had a loud and edgy rawness as she sang the chorus, yet she could deliver tender sweetness (as required) for the remainder of the song:

Of course at that time (50 years ago?) she had yet to drink quite so deeply from the hideous well of free market individualism, and was (maybe) altogether a better human being than the grasping hoarder of property that she became.

Enjoying the wealth that fame affords is one thing, but encouraging those that might listen to her to vote for a regressive political party established to protect and enhance inequality is another.

Last night I read that Cilla's body has been brought back to the UK. I slept safely and, yes, soundly, knowing that finally she is back among us - her people.

Perhaps reading this will enable other Urbanites to rest in some sort of peace.

Amen

Last night I read that Cilla's body has been brought back to the UK. I slept safely and, yes, soundly, knowing that finally she is back among us - her people.

Perhaps reading this will enable other Urbanites to rest in some sort of peace.

Amen

I heard her last wish was to be cremated and for her ashes to be baked into the heart of a depleted uranium shell that would then be fired at George Osbourne.

I only hope our incompetent bureaucratic Government don't invent some way of nixing our Cilla's last wish out of pure anti-Scouser spite.

Yeah, there was a real spark of life in her back then . Passionate rendition of some great tunes . With some well chosen songs . Better shed went down in the plane with skynyrd or something than what came later .

At least she's not chosen to get concreted in, unlike some of her friends :hmm:
They should use that drill left over from the hatton gardens raid to pry saville from his concrete resting place then we can all ave a good day out as they burn his corpse atop a pile of cheap wood and gary glitter vinyls

That is actually very good, in fairness. One for my "in the days before rock n'roll" thread.

Said days lasted a lot longer than we realise. When "Sgt. Pepper's" was number one in the UK album charts, the number two album at the same time was the soundtrack to "The Sound of Music".

'Sgt Lepper' was rock and roll?

Maybe 'Good Morning Good Morning' was, but most of the rest was merely thoughtful pop wasn't it?

'Within You Without You' was actually a finger pointing anti materialist rant from a multi millionaire hypocritical scouse who'd turned his back on his roots and class.

At the time i regarded it as pretty wonderful, and can still see its merits, but "and a time will come when you see we're all one, and life goes on, within you and without you".. please.

When Harrison wrote it he'd a massive Esher stockbroker type pad, set in acres of garden with an Aston Martin parked up the extremely long drive (i believe).

Said days lasted a lot longer than we realise. When "Sgt. Pepper's" was number one in the UK album charts, the number two album at the same time was the soundtrack to "The Sound of Music".
Not wishing to be too pedantic ;)...but surely the days before (and after) the emergence of R&R are finite, with the 'event' as a distinct differentiating point?

Surely it could be argued that something like the widespread UK release of "Rock around the clock" in 1955 marked the arrival of R&R in the broad cultural awareness of the population? That leaves the release of Black's "Anyone" some 8 years after "the days of rock n'roll".

Actually 'Rock around the Clock' was penned in 1952, so the above arithmetic should be revised. ;-)

I doff my cap to your pedantry.
Either way, to call 1963 'the days before R&R' is tosh.

No it's not. The hepcats and cool kids clicking their fingers to the "platters that mattered" were always vastly outnumbered by the mums and dads and retired colonels who said things like "that's not music it's noise" and "I do like that Nana Mouskouri, she has a beautiful singing voice", and "behind these youth subcultures lies Communism".

No it's not. The hepcats and cool kids clicking their fingers to the "platters that mattered" were always vastly outnumbered by the mums and dads and retired colonels who said things like "that's not music it's noise" and "I do like that Nana Mouskouri, she has a beautiful singing voice", and "behind these youth subcultures lies Communism".
the record companies were communist? :eek:

'from each according to ability, to each according to the general size of their share portfolio'

So...cos my old Mum didn't like punk in 1977...the days before punk extend till....1992?

Back
Top Bottom