Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cars You Never See Anymore

Thinks ..perhaps I should have gone for a roadster instead of the Alfa, but there again
They’re everything a sports car should be - small and light, with a well balanced chassis. If you could build one with a modern 1.0L 3 cylinder turbo engine, with a manual gearbox, it would be absolutely amazing.

Brilliant little cars, hampered by an appalling gearbox. But insanely fun to drive. Smart really should release a new version.
I don't know much about them. I think the roof leaks on the one in the photo as it seems to have some sort of cover stretched over it but perhaps that's just how they were designed. :confused:

Looking at it carefully, if the 19k miles is correct there’s a lot of niggling faults.

It looks in beautiful condition, but £18 for that. It's crazy.
I’m not sure there is much Correlation between asking prices and selling prices of “classic” cars. (Many years ago I had a huge fight with an insurance company over the value of an Alfa GTV6)

I’m not sure there is much Correlation between asking prices and selling prices of “classic” cars. (Many years ago I had a huge fight with an insurance company over the value of an Alfa GTV6)
It’s always the case.

I‘ve told this story before. I had a Rover 600 when I insured it they told me a value and that’s what they insured it at. Unfortunately I had a very big accident in it and it was a write off. When it came to the pay out they offered half what they’d valued it at 3 months previously.

It’s always the case.

I‘ve told this story before. I had a Rover 600 when I insured it they told me a value and that’s what they insured it at. Unfortunately I had a very big accident in it and it was a write off. When it came to the pay out they offered half what they’d valued it at 3 months previously.
Same happened to me with a MkII Cortina that got stolen and wrapped round a lamppost.

It’s always the case.

Yes, I got “professional” valuations done for the Alfa and got an increased offer..but insurers uses Parkers, and depreciate if there are not enough trade sales..

Someone I know recently had his 3L 916 written off. His insurers started by offering 3000. He settled on 8250. Before he got the settlement, someone had bought it for 750ish I think and has repaired it himself to better than what it was before the accident.

Looking at it carefully, if the 19k miles is correct there’s a lot of niggling faults.

bad thick paint job, valance rot, some interesting curves in that front wing at the light that suggest filler, door cards with goodmans speakers- maybe period but yeh.

eta, the snapped cam belt suggests its has hardly been maintained well/ properly- its a simple job but critical - which means the rest of the supple gubbins like hoses are probably ropey as well

My parents council house bathroom was that colour in the 80s and I'd rather spend time in that than that car.

The only reasonably priced classic I've seen recently was a 1930's A30 on bangers and cash that went for £1400 or there abouts. Most classics are now very silly money. Minors can be mid teens up to 30.

Back
Top Bottom