Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Traffic news apps for travelling in cars

The ethical issues associated with the use of Waze could be discussed. Or they could just be ignored. Most drivers choose the latter, because it is the less inconvenient option.

Nope, you're not alone. I always have the sound muted.

Not so much because I dislike being told which way to go, but the constant interruption of my music, podcast, or silence, irritates me.
I would say the interruption definitely annoys me, but also its easier to just receive one set of data at a time

Yes. It connects via Bluetooth to the cars audio, it has built in traffic update information. It's quite old but works well.

So you’re just still using it because you’ve had it for ages? Would you buy another one?

I don’t understand who they are still selling them to. What’s the advantage over Waze on your phone, which is free?

What’s the difference between using a phone app and a TomTom?

Yeah you're right. Those things should be banned as well. And cars with video screens in.

It's absolutely staggering to me that everyone is driving around watching screens instead of the road and this is somehow just fine.

Yeah you're right. Those things should be banned as well. And cars with video screens in.

It's absolutely staggering to me that everyone is driving around watching screens instead of the road and this is somehow just fine.

So nothing to do with phones at all then. Why are digital readouts more dangerous than analogue ones?

And you realise they're not "watching" them, right? So drivers shouldn't look at speedometers, clocks, or any other information displays either?

Don't be a plank, Frank.

Drivers are often interacting with these apps, which encourage them to report stuff for the benefit of other drivers. The same is not true of a speedometer.

Drivers are often interacting with these apps, which encourage them to report stuff for the benefit of other drivers.

It's easy not to do that though. Same as picking-up a phone to make a call, or drinking whiskey from a flask in the glove box.

Silliness is not compulsory whilst driving.

So you’re just still using it because you’ve had it for ages? Would you buy another one?

I don’t understand who they are still selling them to. What’s the advantage over Waze on your phone, which is free?
I keep it up to date, I’d certainly buy another because, in my experience, they work well. I’ve tried other systems on my phone but find that the TomTom is much easier and clearer to use, the screen size makes it easier to read at a glance, the lane at junctions information is very helpful. I like the average speed information, it’s very helpful when driving through average speed camera areas. There’s so much information on it, but presented in a way that is not distracting.

It's easy not to do that though. Same as picking-up a phone to make a call, or drinking whiskey from a flask in the glove box.

Silliness is not compulsory whilst driving.

It's the same as providing a whiskey glass holder conveniently in reach of the driver, and offering them small rewards for taking a sip now and again.

I keep it up to date, I’d certainly buy another because, in my experience, they work well. I’ve tried other systems on my phone but find that the TomTom is much easier and clearer to use, the screen size makes it easier to read at a glance, the lane at junctions information is very helpful. I like the average speed information, it’s very helpful when driving through average speed camera areas. There’s so much information on it, but presented in a way that is not distracting.

Waze has all of those functions but I guess the screen size might make a difference.

Is there still a monthly subscription for TomTom?

Fwiw, if you don't like the Waze interface, Google owns them now and Google Maps traffic data includes a feed from Waze.
I noticed on google maps that it now has similar features to Waze about reporting issues on the road and flagging issues. I assumed that they had just copied Waze. Didn’t know they bought them instead but makes sense.

I noticed on google maps that it now has similar features to Waze about reporting issues on the road and flagging issues. I assumed that they had just copied Waze. Didn’t know they bought them instead but makes sense.
That is a great feature with waze, the accurate real times alerts to minor problems you are approaching

people are not 'watching the screens'

i don't know if you are attempting to be funny but you are just coming off as a pointless contrarian on this

I get my satnav directions hovering ghost-like in the windscreen in front of me. Is that good or bad?

Has anyone mentioned Waze yet? It's good. btw, using it with Apple Car Play you can't fiddle with it whilst moving, so can only glance at it.

But if danny la rouge doesn't want to give that another go he could buy the same car as mine, the latest update on the built-in satnav connects to Google and does the same thing as Waze and presents it in the car's satnav format (middle-screen, dashboard and head-up display).

Back
Top Bottom