Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cars You Never See Anymore

My Fiesta failed its MOT on the emissions test the other day (it was suggested that it might have scraped it had i not been using the less expensive unleaded).It occurred to me that even if I sort out all the minor problems that led me to SORN my classic two litre Rover last Autumn-there's every chance that it too will fail an MOT on emissions:(

Lol! No.

One of the really great Wheeler Dealers was the Morris Traveller episode showing the restoration. Well worth a watch if you can get it.
Thought it would have been a dull one, but it was brilliant. :)

Mine had one side with the original ash replaced with mahogany…I’m assuming by the old boy I bought it from..the bracket fungus only grew on the ash side..

My Fiesta failed its MOT on the emissions test the other day (it was suggested that it might have scraped it had i not been using the less expensive unleaded).It occurred to me that even if I sort out all the minor problems that led me to SORN my classic two litre Rover last Autumn-there's every chance that it too will fail an MOT on emissions:(

Are the rules the same for cars over X age?

I'm aware of 1920s / 30s cars that are still getting MOT'd (on a voluntary basis - they are old enough to be MOT exempt)

Or is your Rover in the awkward age where it's old but not yet qualifying for the historic status?

May be worth talking to garage and / or owners' club / forum before you throw money at it

A colleague had a 1.3 Capri, he thought it was the dog’s. At the time I had a 2.0 HPE. According to him his Capri was massively faster than my Lancia. Even when he couldn‘t keep up with me at all he wouldn’t accept my car was faster.

It was a great fun car to drive, dare I say, show off in ( well some people did).
The HPE was a very decent car appealing to a different type of driver I expect.

Mate a year younger than me at school had a Burton tuned 3.0 Mk 3 Capri in the mid '80s, in fact I'm sure he still has it in pieces in his garage.
Went out for a spin with him one day and it was terrifying. :eek:
His commute for a few years was here in East London to Southend each day, well before any meaningful speed restrictions (apart from police cars). Surprised he's still alive!

It was a great fun car to drive, dare I say, show off in ( well some people did).
The HPE was a very decent car appealing to a different type of driver I expect.
I think the HPE was, as you suggest, a completely different car. It was quicker and more stylish, very Italian. Lots of little differences compared to U.K. cars of the day. 5 speed box, split rear seats, discs all round, variable windscreen wiper speeds (that should comeback) even things like a foot rest for the left foot etc.

There’s a proper ancient capri that‘s usually parked in the same place that I pass on the Aldi shopping run, I must get a picture soon. Looks nothing like the well known 70s version.

It looks better in red, but that one is excellent.

20thnpmr_0024.jpg

:)

Saw a few peculiars on a walk today and I'd taken my camera out with me for once.

Within a few metres of one another, what looks to be (after some wikipedia trawling at least) a left-hand drive Chevy El Camino pick-up:
chevy.jpg

Not far behind that was a Citroën DS:
citroen.jpg

...and later on, last and by all means least what I think is a 90s VW Polo with a somewhat dubious body kit:
polo.jpg

Back
Top Bottom