Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cars You Never See Anymore

The Talbot and Marina look as if they've been standing a long time.
I thought that too but I walk along that road quite regularly and I've not seen them before. It's possible I've missed them or more likely they've just been acquired or wheeled out of the garage for some reason.

From a quick walk around the block today

Talbot Solara and Marina 1.3 Coupe

And from the same road, a Capri

There's a Marina Estate on another road but whenever I've walked past it there's always been something in the way

Good spot. :cool: According to How Many Left there are only 53 Talbot Solaras still registered...

When I first saw the front I thought it was an Alpine. It was only when I saw the boot I realised it was a Solara. I wonder how many Alpines are left?

I checked. :oops: It's about 70 either on the road or SORNed.

In total there are about 10,000 Talbots left registered, but a lot of them look to be the vans Peugeot carried on branding as Talbots after they'd abandoned the marque for passenger cars. The cars are pretty much all as rare as hens' teeth nowadays, and none more so than:

iu

I don't ever remember seeing a Tagora, and apparently there are only 9 on the DVLA database.

Last edited:

In total there are about 10,000 Talbots left registered, but a lot of them look to be the vans Peugeot carried on branding as Talbots after they'd abandoned the marque for passenger cars. The cars are pretty much all as rare as hens' teeth nowadays, and none more so than:

iu

I don't ever remember seeing a Tagora, and apparently there are only 9 on the DVLA database.
I think I mentioned earlier on this thread that I'd seen an old photo of a local bus garage (before it was demolished) and there was a Tagora parked outside. I'd forgotten all about them until I saw the photo.

I'm guessing one of the issues in checking how many are left, with the Alpine especially, is that they started off as Chrysler Alpines and then became Talbot Alpines. I think there were even some which were called Talbot Minx but I think they were really Talbot Alpine Minxes. There's also all the Simca 1307s etc., although I don't remember seeing many of them in UK even when they were current models.

iu

hmm looks like a mid-80s Corolla

I think I mentioned earlier on this thread that I'd seen an old photo of a local bus garage (before it was demolished) and there was a Tagora parked outside. I'd forgotten all about them until I saw the photo.

I'm guessing one of the issues in checking how many are left, with the Alpine especially, is that they started off as Chrysler Alpines and then became Talbot Alpines. I think there were even some which were called Talbot Minx but I think they were really Talbot Alpine Minxes. There's also all the Simca 1307s etc., although I don't remember seeing many of them in UK even when they were current models.

Yes, that's true, come to think of it, although I can't imagine there are many Chrysler Alpines left! There's the same problem with BL, I found recently, in that you can find cars listed under BL, under its component manufacturers, and combinations thereof.

I used to know a bloke who'd done a road rally in a Marina, and this back in the days before the rules were tightened up and people were steaming around the back roads in full-on rally cars. IIRC they were running last when the handling got the better of him and it ended up on its roof in a farm entrance.

Mind you, he binned at least two Opel Mantas in similar circumstances so perhaps it was his driving that was at fault.

OPEL-VAUX-MANTA-B.jpg

I still secretly want a Manta.

It’s coming full circle (if you disregard Rootes) Peugeot bought Chrysler Europe, then mostly closed it. Now with the merger of PSA and FCA, Peugeot and Chrysler will be the same company again.

I used to know a bloke who'd done a road rally in a Marina, and this back in the days before the rules were tightened up and people were steaming around the back roads in full-on rally cars. IIRC they were running last when the handling got the better of him and it ended up on its roof in a farm entrance.

Mind you, he binned at least two Opel Mantas in similar circumstances so perhaps it was his driving that was at fault.

OPEL-VAUX-MANTA-B.jpg

I still secretly want a Manta.
My uncle had a Manta. Not that model though. His didn't have the spoilers etc. It did look good at the time.

Don't know, Facebook had it as an original 1930s aerocar but no other details.
It's a Leyat Helica, from 1920

If a propellor was powerful enough to power an aircraft, why couldn't it power a car? This was the thought that went through the mind of Marcel Leyat, a French car manufacturer, in 1919. He put together his first creation which he called a Helica; and what a potentially lethal machine it was.

helica-leyat.jpg

His Oltcit is interesting but absolutely fucked as it is rusted out and has been on fire. As he as less than no money and only slightly more than no technical ability it'll be abandoned soon enough.
A true Hubnut project then? Thers no room in any of the sheds/leantoos etc - so its out in the rain on that poor battered path. He seems often to be in mud

From a quick walk around the block today

Talbot Solara and Marina 1.3 Coupe

Myself and two other guys travelled to Abderdeen in 1980 to get jobs in the North Sea, The bonnet of ours was in even worse nick, it was held on by bits of rope tied round the bumper and two rallying type clips peirced through the skin of the bonnet. A week prior we had had a head on at Elephant + C, on way to Brighton, no injuries tho. In Aberdeen we lived in it for 3 weeks until we moved in to an old lean to outbuilding havin been evicted from the beach and the railway line We had to pay reant on our shed, we missed the car. It was difficult to sleep in, Nigel had been a regional shotput champion and weightlifter - he was HUGE - Nick, ex fell runner, 6'2, Me no sport short arse - all slept in the car - beach cleaner kept burning our socks - we kept the stench level down by leaving them outside at nite - part of the reason we were spotted and moved on I suspect. It was paradise, sort of. We'd drive out, find a spud field, dig up some spuds, stop at tesco on way back, get butter, etc - back to beach - huge dunes north of Aberdeen - start a fire, cook spuds etc. The sort of bit :- Tough, tough little car, very ugly, no ventillation, hard but sweaty vinyl seating, ultra crappy radio - BUT superb unstoppable magic motor. Sadly, when we popped back down to Morecombe to pick some of Nicks stuff up, his Dad, a proper, Garage owning mechanic who knew his stuff, refused to let us take the car back out. If he'd known how bad it was he'd driven himself to pick us up. He was not a pleased man, and our travels in the Beast, ended

Back
Top Bottom