Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cars You Never See Anymore

I has a 105E with a Lotus twincam engine and a Quaife gearbox and modified 2.8 Crapi back axle. It had coilover Bilsteins all round and loads of tasty stuff. I sold it for £2500 in 1989. Another one I wish I'd kept.

That m
The main reason you don’t see these is because they were provided and owned by the state, so were all taken back at some point and scrapped rather than surviving hidden away in garages etc.

That makes sense, but what were disabled drivers given as a replacement?

It was motability grants, but they'd been around for a long time, as had adapted regular cars. IIRC the Mini was one of the first to be offered through it sometime in the 70s. And yet, apparently there were still about 200 government-owned Invacars in use when they were recalled and scrapped in 2003. Why?! :confused: :confused:

IIRC a leading SWPer in the 90s used to drive around London in an Invacar with Trotskyist stickers all over it.

Can I direct all those interested in Invacars to Hubnut's YouTube channel wherein you will learn more than you ever wanted to know about the despicable contraptions.

I'd forgotten Hubnut has an Invacar. Looking at his channel just now I see he's also bought something that was never a common sight in the UK:

oltcit.jpg

It's an Oltcit, specifically this Oltcit. I don't think they were ever sold in the UK, so I assume it's one of only a handful that have ever made it over here.

His Oltcit is interesting but absolutely fucked as it is rusted out and has been on fire. As he as less than no money and only slightly more than no technical ability it'll be abandoned soon enough.

His Oltcit is interesting but absolutely fucked as it is rusted out and has been on fire. As he as less than no money and only slightly more than no technical ability it'll be abandoned soon enough.

Ah. I've not yet watched the video - saving it for later! A pity if it ends up on the scrapheap. There can't be more than one or two in the UK, although I imagine they can still be found in Romania easily enough.

I watch some of his videos and despair at the lost causes he takes on. I still keep watching them though :D

I watch some of his videos and despair at the lost causes he takes on. I still keep watching them though :D

I reckon he has cracked up since his Mrs hoofed him out. Why the fuck would he keep buying projects that need lots of welding when he can't even afford a workshop with power?

Cross-posted from the 'state-sanctioned exercise' thread, an incongruous sight in the middle-class Muesli Belt.

View attachment 233668

My mum had a Saxo when I was a student and I liked it. It was only a 1.0 so it wasn't exactly quick, but it was comfortable and it handled very well. Fairly flimsy little cars, though.

we had one of those on a camp I lived on. It was insured and taxed and was the lads pool car, anyone could use it if they could find the keys.

slow and built like a biscuit tin but good enough to get to Tesco’s for the three for one red wine deals and the kebab run

Back
Top Bottom