Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Budget (March 2024)

PR1Berske

Alligator in chains by the park gates.
As ever the meat of this week's Budget has already been leaked. I'll start this thread with "what the papers say"

The Guardian:

Here are some of the budget stories from today’s papers.

Oliver Wright and Steven Swinford in the Times say Jeremy Hunt wants to cut national insurance by 2p in the pound. They report:
Jeremy Hunt is drafting plans for up to £9 billion worth of tax rises and spending reductions in an effort to balance the books and pay for a potential 2p cut in national insurance …

Hunt is not expected to cut income tax as he focuses instead on further reductions in national insurance, which is only paid by those in work. Cutting national insurance is cheaper than income tax and will allow Hunt the flexibility for further budget announcements.

These will be paid for by a series of “stealth” tax rises amounting to up to £4 billion, along with potential plans to reduce government spending after the next election. They include removing tax breaks from second-home owners who rent out their properties as holiday rentals, reducing the scope of “non-dom” tax relief and extending the levy on the profits of North Sea oil and gas companies.

George Parker in the Financial Times also says Hunt wants to cut personal taxes. He says:
The chancellor has been looking at an “emergency package” of revenue raisers to pay for personal tax cuts, including stealing Labour’s plan to scale back the “non-dom” tax regime, securing between £2bn and £3bn a year.

Also on Hunt’s list of potential revenue raisers are an increase in air passenger duty for business travel, an extension of the windfall levy on oil and gas producers, a tax on vapes and abolishing the furnished holiday let regime, according to those close to the Budget process.

Hunt could raise a further £5bn to £6bn a year if he cuts public spending plans in the next parliament, a controversial idea which has led to claims from economists that he is funding tax cuts now by making “fictitious” promises about the future.

The chancellor is also planning to use the Budget to insist he can make the state leaner and more efficient: he has already announced plans to cut civil service numbers to their pre-pandemic levels.

The Telegraph:
In December, it seemed as though he might have fiscal headroom of £20bn, but more recent estimates have been in the ballpark of £15bn.

Over recent days, there have been suggestions that he might have even less, although I suspect this may be a case of the Treasury trying to manage expectations.

A sum of £15bn is not negligible but it wouldn’t allow him to do much to reduce the key tax rates.

For instance, a 1pc point cut in the 20pc basic rate of income tax would cost £7bn per annum, while a 1pc point cut in the rate of National Insurance contributions for employees would cost £5bn, and a freezing of fuel duty would cost £6bn. So he could probably manage to do two of these measures but not all three.

There is also surely a strong case for ironing out anomalies in the tax system, including its interaction with the benefit system, which results in people at key pinch points paying marginal tax rates of over 60pc and, in some cases, over 90pc. But I expect that sorting these out will be deemed too expensive for now.

And then we come to inheritance tax, on which the rumour mill has recently fallen silent.

The Chancellor is highly unlikely to abolish this tax in one go but he could conceivably raise the threshold for paying it or reduce the rate. This would have the added attraction of making things particularly difficult for Labour. It would be under pressure to say whether it would reverse these changes.

Financial Times
So, what tax-cutting tricks does Hunt have up his sleeve? A whole host I would say, given he has been responsible for raining down on the nation’s head a hailstorm of tax rises – either explicit or implicit through the freezing of a whole mishmash of allowances.

I would assume income tax cuts will be a priority. They seem to resonate most with the public.

If not income tax cuts, then maybe further reductions in national insurance rates (income tax in disguise) to add to the recent cut from 12 to 10 per cent for some 27mn workers, and smaller decreases for the self-employed.

Sunday Times
In a last-ditch attempt to cut personal taxes by 2p in the pound, Hunt and Prime Minister Rishi Sunak are expected to meet tonight to decide on whether to cut income tax and National Insurance, the Sunday Times reports.

One source told the paper: "1p is affordable, 2p isn’t. We’re trying to make it, but we don’t know whether we can."

In an attempt to make the numbers stack up, Hunt is reportedly planning a £300 million tax raid on people who rent out their second homes as holiday lets. The Times says he would do this by abolishing a series of tax perks for these landlords.

I don't think anything has already been leaked to the media, it's just pure speculation, that has been going on for weeks, there's literally nothing new in any of those articles.

It pisses me off that they are talking about tax cuts, when public services are in such a bloody mess, and just as a bribe coming up to the GE.

If they have to do it, FFS lift personal allowances, that helps everyone, but those on the lowest income the most, but, of course, those are less likely to vote Tory, so it doesn't work so well as a bribe.

There are actually loads of good ideas suggested there, changing non-dom status, removing tax-breaks from second home owners, extending the windfall tax and a tax on vapes. Personally all in favour of doing these things should have been done a long time ago. Pity it's only being talked about in order to fund bribes to try and get people to vote for them.
If we must have tax cuts then raising the tax free allowance is going to be fairer than just cutting income tax (and thus less likely)
I don't think cutting 1p off the basic income tax rate is going to save them though, not totally sure that abolishing income tax altogether would save them for that matter at the moment.
They're desperate enough and cynical enough to try it though so perhaps they will and it will also leave a mess for the next government to sort out while what's left of the Tory Party heckles from the sidelines.

I like the way Hunt keeps bleating that his tax cuts will be costed and affordable, unlike the soon to be former member for Spelthorne...

From X/itter

"EXCLUSIVE:

Jeremy Hunt will cut national insurance by 2 per cent in the Spring Budget tomorrow

It will cost £10bn and be worth £450 for the average worker. He will sell it as £900 worth of tax cuts when combined with 2 per cent NI cut in Autumn Statement

As per @SamCoatesSky legislation for NI cut will be brought forward next week, enabling it to come into effect in April

Cuts to income tax were deemed too expensive and potentially inflationary."

From the Telegraph

8:03AM
Public deserve a tax break at tomorrow’s Budget, suggests minister
Taxpayers deserve a “bit of a tax break this year”, a minister suggested this morning as Jeremy Hunt prepares to deliver his Budget tomorrow.

Greg Hands, a trade minister, said a “responsible” Budget would include both money for public services and measures to help people feel better off.

Asked what a “responsible” Budget would look like, Mr Hands told Sky News: “I think a responsible Budget would be making sure the country, the economy continues to recover from the pandemic, from Putin’s illegal invasion of Ukraine, the spike in inflation that we have had to deal with.

“And I think that means continuing to put a record amount of funding into public services while still giving the British people I think a bit of a tax break this year as well.

“That is what I think a responsible Budget would look like, balanced between the need to reduce taxation while still keeping record amount of funding into public services.”

Mr Hunt, the Chancellor, has signalled that he wants to move towards a “lower tax economy” in a hint at a pre-election giveaway to voters in the form of a national insurance or income tax cut.

But he has been clear that he will not pay for tax cuts with borrowing, meaning a combination of spending cuts and tax rises elsewhere would likely be required to find the money.

From X/itter

"EXCLUSIVE:

Jeremy Hunt will cut national insurance by 2 per cent in the Spring Budget tomorrow

It will cost £10bn and be worth £450 for the average worker. He will sell it as £900 worth of tax cuts when combined with 2 per cent NI cut in Autumn Statement

As per @SamCoatesSky legislation for NI cut will be brought forward next week, enabling it to come into effect in April

Whilst I am still working my NI has been cut to 0% for the past 4 months on account of me being 66 and thus exempt so I will gain sweet FA from this

From X/itter

"EXCLUSIVE:

Still very much lost a shilling and found a penny territory

So what? If it happens, I will gain from this. I still think it's a fucking terrible idea.
Nothing just pointing out that if it happens, I won't get owt which does raise an interesting thought. The Tories rely heavily on the old crumbly vote (if not mine) however those of pensionable age whether working like me or retired like most others won't benefit from an NI cut but would benefit from an income tax cut. It's a bit of an odd scenario where they're robbing from the old to bribe the young usually it's the other way round.
I don't think it will make any difference to the outcome of the next GE though, they're so disliked at the moment that as Voley rightfully observes this isn't going to change many minds.

Last edited:
I don't think anything has already been leaked to the media, it's just pure speculation, that has been going on for weeks, there's literally nothing new in any of those articles.

It pisses me off that they are talking about tax cuts, when public services are in such a bloody mess, and just as a bribe coming up to the GE.

If they have to do it, FFS lift personal allowances, that helps everyone, but those on the lowest income the most, but, of course, those are less likely to vote Tory, so it doesn't work so well as a bribe.
If someone earns less than the lowest tax threshold, though, reducing the personal allowance won't help them.

If someone earns less than the lowest tax threshold, though, reducing the personal allowance won't help them.

Nor will they be helped by a cut in NI, as you only start paying on amounts earnt over the tax threshold, at least increasing that threshold would take the next lowest earners out of paying both tax & NI.

There are actually loads of good ideas suggested there, changing non-dom status, removing tax-breaks from second home owners, extending the windfall tax and a tax on vapes. Personally all in favour of doing these things should have been done a long time ago. Pity it's only being talked about in order to fund bribes to try and get people to vote for them.
If we must have tax cuts then raising the tax free allowance is going to be fairer than just cutting income tax (and thus less likely)
I don't think cutting 1p off the basic income tax rate is going to save them though, not totally sure that abolishing income tax altogether would save them for that matter at the moment.
They're desperate enough and cynical enough to try it though so perhaps they will and it will also leave a mess for the next government to sort out while what's left of the Tory Party heckles from the sidelines.
What’s good about a tax on vapes?

What’s good about a tax on vapes?
Personally I think they need to be discouraged, the original point of them was an aid to stop smoking gradually reducing your nicotine levels until you stop but they seem to have become the replacement habit for so many.
Not as bad as actual smoking but I'm in favour of trying to get people back to their original use.

Personally I think they need to be discouraged, the original point of them was an aid to stop smoking gradually reducing your nicotine levels until you stop but they seem to have become the replacement habit for so many.
Not as bad as actual smoking but I'm in favour of trying to get people back to their original use.
I’m not sure they were ever intended as an aid to stop you smoking. Sure, they can be used as that. They were touted as less harmful than cigarettes. Which results in a lower burden on the NHS.

Back
Top Bottom