Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

British holiday park identified ‘people with Irish accents’ as ‘undesirable guests’

when you say this, you say it is anti irish bigotry that includes travellers, when the fact is the other way round, it is anti traveller first and foremost and by denying this you are erasing travellers.
i have said above a) agreeing with weepiper that it was direct discrimation against travellers and indirect discrimination against the irish more widely, and b) addressed the post you quote in post 75 where i say i expressed myself clumsily in retrospect and explaining what i meant.

I wonder if Pontins leaked this themselves.

Gypsies are the most discriminated against group in society and a lot of people are very prejudiced against them.

A huge amount of Pontins style holiday makers would welcome a no-gypsy guarantee :(

By 'easily scapegoated' I mean in a climate where discrimination and prejudice against this ethnicity is deemed acceptable by said institutions.

i have said above a) agreeing with weepiper that it was direct discrimation against travellers and indirect discrimination against the irish more widely, and b) addressed the post you quote in post 75 where i say i expressed myself clumsily in retrospect and explaining what i meant.
I think the problem is that some of the posts on this thread come across as though it's even worse if the policy also bars Irish people who are not Travellers, or people who are not Irish, but have an Irish surname.

It is useful to know what the policy intends - to target Irish Travellers - but it's not useful to divide the people affected into Travellers and not-Travellers. That, however unintentionally, perpetuates the discrimination against Travellers.

It doesn't matter whether the policy catches more people than intended, or whether the discrimination is direct for some people and indirect for others (in this case), because that doesn't affect how you tackle it, in this case.

The policy should not exist. End of.

Last edited:
Half of the country has those surnames though.
And probably a fair few English born people do too.
I'm English and have a name on the list. It's actually my UK-born steps grandfather's name, so although I have an Irish name, I'm not even Irish, don't qualify for the passport, which is a bummer, considering Brexit.

My mum's family is on that list. And, having attended plenty of weddings/funerals/christenings/first communions/confirmations/ birthdays/Christmas parties etc. that escalated into drunken brawls, I think Pontins is missing a trick - it's free entertainment, and much better than their usual Black Lace tribute band!

Which is why the Ham fisted policy was put in place.
Don't want to play by society rules find yourself excluded

Inappropriate Content
Once bitten twice shy
There's enough travellers who behave badly that the reputation sticks.

Travellers have a terrible reputation because their terrible neighbors

I know they have a bad reputation and why. But, just so we're clear, are you saying it's OK to discriminate against a while ethnic group because of the behaviour of some members of it?

Facts show they don't give a fuck about the settled community

No, they show (at the very highest) that some might not. Similar to some non-travellers. You must surely understand it's not OK to discriminate against a whole ethnic group based on the conduct of some members of it? I mean, that's pretty much textbook racism.

Back
Top Bottom