Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

British and Irish Lions

Why Williams? Thats one area where there plenty of cover and options. Williams hasn't been on form for a season

Because when Williams is on form he's a try machine and game breaker. If he was on form he'd tie in the Bokke defence. When he's on form he's the best open play runner in the world. When he's on form his half breaks and offloads create space for other strike runners. When he's on form he can pick up and break from the base of rucks better than any s/h out there. If he was on form, the Bokke would fear him. Right now there are insufficient game breakers in the test XXII.

That's why Williams. I don't think Slaar, or anybody else with modicum of sense is suggesting that Shane should play on the form he's showing now. If, however, Shane could recapture the form that made him IRB player of the year and 6N record try scorer, then he should and would play.

Only suprise is that M Williams is on the bench, not starting. Other than that I think it's pretty bang on.

I, too, am surprised that Martyn isn't starting. The only game where we've controlled the breakdown has been the game against Western Force, where he put in his bravura 7 performance.

Not that I'm knocking Wallace: he's a fine player, but as I said before, we can't match the Bokke for physicality, which is what Wallace's selection seems to be saying we're trying to do. I'd prefer the out and out footballing toolkit that Williams brings to the game, and his superb work at the breakdown, but hey, his competitor brings other attributes to the position, and I suppose we're blessed to have players of such talent competing for a spot.

It's ok folks, big John Hayes has been called up...

Thank fuck for that!;) He'll certainly add an option at the lineout in partnership with POC.

I'm still a bit optimistic about Saturday, anyone else?

Not massively, though I do concede that we have a better chance than I thought we would at the start of the tour. We're only a couple of key injuries away from implosion, though:(

Can't wait, missed watching rugby with my Dad, him screaming at the telly. :cool:

Never felt so homesick watching the last Wales v England 6 Nations game without him there, especially when it was a pretty tight affair.

Because when Williams is on form he's a try machine and game breaker. If he was on form he'd tie in the Bokke defence. When he's on form he's the best open play runner in the world. When he's on form his half breaks and offloads create space for other strike runners. When he's on form he can pick up and break from the base of rucks better than any s/h out there. If he was on form, the Bokke would fear him. Right now there are insufficient game breakers in the test XXII.

That's why Williams. I don't think Slaar, or anybody else with modicum of sense is suggesting that Shane should play on the form he's showing now. If, however, Shane could recapture the form that made him IRB player of the year and 6N record try scorer, then he should and would play.

Thanks for politician-on-Newsnight style patronising lecture on the obvious. I know it's difficult for you to take your Welsh hat off but the man with the most irritating cutesy nickname in sport has been given loads of chances to show/recapture the form he was in over a year ago. He manifestly hasn't and now it's too late. Move on.

Jones is pivotal on Saturday. He'll need to play up to his billing of 4th best out-half in the world :)D). It will be interesting to see how he handles Phillips slow service under fierce pressure, de Villiers slicing back at him, how his (so far wonky) tactical kicking holds up, how he gets his backline moving and works with the brilliant centre paring outside him. I'm not confident but I hope to be proved wrong.

Thanks for politician-on-Newsnight style patronising lecture on the obvious.

The point I was trying to make is that the point Slaar was trying to make is that the Lions 'need' Shane on form - in the same way they 'need' BOD on form. Unfortunately only one of the above is true.

I know it's difficult for you to take your Welsh hat off

Not really. I don't think Shane should play the first test. His form, as you say, has not been good enough.

Jones is pivotal on Saturday. He'll need to play up to his billing of 4th best out-half in the world :)D).

Nothing wrong with that. Fourth best in the world is pretty fuckin good, y'know;)

It will be interesting to see how he handles Phillips slow service under fierce pressure

Yup. Not like he's been on the end of Spikey Pikey Mikey's glacially wound up pass before.

how his (so far wonky) tactical kicking holds up,

Wonky into a gale. Albeit.

how he gets his backline moving and works with the brilliant centre paring outside him. I'm not confident but I hope to be proved wrong.

You can accuse Wellies of many things, but failing to get his backline moving is certainly NOT one of them. Suggest you rewatch last Saturday's game again. He provided fast, accurate ball down the line in spite of the shit he was frequently shovelled.

He provided fast, accurate ball down the line in spite of the shit he was frequently shovelled.

He did, but it will be a different story Saturday. He'll need all his skills in that department. I'd have taken, and played, Stringer for fast accurate ball from the base of the rucks.

Bench was always going to be a tough call. Do they go 3 backs 4 forwards or 4 bs 3 fs(unusual ok but not improbable)
Think its an error not having Powell to come on for last 20-30 as an impact player as reckon Wallace will play full game. When Williams comes on who goes off.

see BOD nearly had his face re-arranged?

its an interesting game anyway- a ref who periodically enforces some rules
excellent play in patches

hope kearney can make a difference, but alas i feel the real struggle is upfront
gutted to lose a player like byrne :-(

Another penalty.

This is getting painful.

Miss, you twat.

I think the ref has mor or less told POC to get shot of Vickery at ht or he's going in the bin. With Byrne already off we can't afford to use subs tactically in case of injuries.

POC is showing his shortcomings as a captain imho. Where is the leadership?

This is truly embarassing, and no captaincy in sight. POC is a disgrace and so far out of his depth.

Back
Top Bottom