Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

British and Irish Lions

Phillips: Got his mojo back. Though he was excellent today and posed a real threat around the fringes. Lions starter

Agree he's a shoe in and best scrum half in the NH, but fuck is he slow to get the ball away from the bottom of a ruck. That will kill us in the tests. Get Stringer out there.

Croft - Great game at six

Ya, kind of game you'd like to be there in the flesh to appreciate. TV doesn't do justice. Test starter.

Onan: Gash, gashetty gash. Hook should bench instead of him.

He was awful. Hook will bench surely?

POC: Isolated and slow again. Not enough nous and not enough leadership

I thought he had his best game so far. Won his lineouts, disrupted theirs and some good stuff in the loose. Still far from a game breaking Martin Johnson figure but getting there I reckon.

Shane: Poor bastard didn't see the ball. Won't get near the first test.

What he did do was poor too. Gutted for him. He's one of the best wingers I've seen but somethings gone wrong. Watch him get it back next season and lead the O's to Heineken cup glory. ;)

FWIW I still don't think Wallace did enough to cement a test spot. Place is still open for Williams to take if he puts in a big game on Sat.

Ya, but I think he put himself in the lead. Not saying Williams won't turn the table on Saturday. We've been over it all but it's a shame one of them will lose out.

Breakdown still a BIG problem. We need to sort that and sort it fast.
[/QUOTE]

Do you reckon Philips slowness getting the ball away makes the problem worse?

Do you reckon Philips slowness getting the ball away makes the problem worse?

Phillips' service is slow but, on top form, he makes up for it in the way he did today. He helps to tie in the backrow and force them to defend tight around the fringes. Did you notice the times he was caught in possession he pretty much shrugged off the challenge and just carried on.

That's not to say I wouldn't like him to not take two, crabbed steps before passing, but I'll forgive him if he can bring what he did against Natal.

Gollum is not the answer:)

That's not to say I wouldn't like him to not take two, crabbed steps before passing

I've noticed the same thing with Care... Obv Phillips is ona different level at the moment like, but anyway.

Croft just impresses me more and more, even when he's not 'outstanding'. He just does the right things with minimal fuss, but he can be inventive and classy too.

I agree with Retro in that I thought POC was nay too bad in his position today, but he's still not leading that team at all.

Croft just impresses me more and more, even when he's not 'outstanding'. He just does the right things with minimal fuss, but he can be inventive and classy too.

He's your viewer's six. Does fuck all at the breakdown, however. Neither does Heaslip, thus requiring Gethin Jenkins to act as a third backrower. Wallace did a lot of work at the breakdown tonight, which allowed the two athletes to do their stuff, but the imbalance in that backrow is a lack of dog on the deck.

Ryan Jones is a very good dog on the deck, btw.:)

He's your viewer's six. Does fuck all at the breakdown, however. Neither does Heaslip, thus requiring Gethin Jenkins to act as a third backrower. Wallace did a lot of work at the breakdown tonight, which allowed the two athletes to do their stuff, but the imbalance in that backrow is a lack of dog on the deck.

Ryan Jones is a very good dog on the deck, btw.:)

See I thought Croft was alright at the breakdown yesterday, he was quite 'present' anyway. Seemed to be getting there quickly and supporting well. Forward/breakdown play isn't really my area though, so I wouldn't say whether he was 'effective' or not.

Yeh, Jones is a good addition if he gets some form :)

Team to play tomorrow:

Lions: Rob Kearney (Leinster/Ireland); Tommy Bowe (Ospreys/Ireland), Keith Earls (Munster/Ireland), Riki Flutey (Wasps/England), Ugo Monye (Harlequins/England); Stephen Jones (Scarlets/Wales), Harry Ellis (Leicester/England); Andrew Sheridan (Sale/England), Matthew Rees (Scarlets/Wales), Phil Vickery (London Wasps/England), Donncha O'Callaghan (Munster/Ireland), Nathan Hines (Perpignan/Scotland), Joe Worsley (Wasps/England), Martyn Williams (Cardiff Blues/Wales), Andy Powell (Cardiff Blues/Wales).

Interesting to see how the 6-8 and 12-13 fire. The rest look strong.

Team to play tomorrow:

Lions: Rob Kearney (Leinster/Ireland); Tommy Bowe (Ospreys/Ireland), Keith Earls (Munster/Ireland), Riki Flutey (Wasps/England), Ugo Monye (Harlequins/England); Stephen Jones (Scarlets/Wales), Harry Ellis (Leicester/England); Andrew Sheridan (Sale/England), Matthew Rees (Scarlets/Wales), Phil Vickery (London Wasps/England), Donncha O'Callaghan (Munster/Ireland), Nathan Hines (Perpignan/Scotland), Joe Worsley (Wasps/England), Martyn Williams (Cardiff Blues/Wales), Andy Powell (Cardiff Blues/Wales).

Interesting to see how the 6-8 and 12-13 fire. The rest look strong.

Its really great to see on this tour so far that there is definately no 'dirt track' 15. In the past players must have known that they were in the crap side and just playing the fixtures they had to. But looking at the combinations that have been played so far in the games and this one coming up it seems that all the teams are a real mix of ideas / players with no first/second string tema emerging to date. Very good man management by Geech. I get the feeling all the players will be thinking they can still play themselves into test team contention. Sure, a number of players are head and shoulders above (Phillips, BOD, Roberts, Bowe etc) but on the whole I think the players will be thinking that every game at the moment means something. It seems to be much better worked than previous tours. Just hope that they can carry forward after the first test.

Its really great to see on this tour so far that there is definately no 'dirt track' 15. In the past players must have known that they were in the crap side and just playing the fixtures they had to. But looking at the combinations that have been played so far in the games and this one coming up it seems that all the teams are a real mix of ideas / players with no first/second string tema emerging to date. Very good man management by Geech. I get the feeling all the players will be thinking they can still play themselves into test team contention. Sure, a number of players are head and shoulders above (Phillips, BOD, Roberts, Bowe etc) but on the whole I think the players will be thinking that every game at the moment means something. It seems to be much better worked than previous tours. Just hope that they can carry forward after the first test.
With a couple of exceptions (Blair, Murray...) I agree. Haven't managed to watch any games yet so I'm looking forward to tomorrow, and will be watching every game from now.

With a couple of exceptions (Blair, Murray...) I agree. Haven't managed to watch any games yet so I'm looking forward to tomorrow, and will be watching every game from now.

Yeah, goes without sasying that there are one or two minor exceptions that must know that they are just not good enough. But by and large i think the management have done a very good job of keeping everyone on their toes and thinking that they have a genuine chance of a test spot. must make for some very intense training as well.

Osprey representation increased again!!!

Ryan Jones going out to replace Ferris. Now on the last tour Ryan went out and became the player of the tour, not this time tho!:(

That was sadly short lived. Ryan Jones sent home again.

Apparently he got a crack on the head against the US.

Nah. Glad that Ryan will get the rest he needs to start the season firing for the Os. We're going to get dicked at the breakdown, regardless of the personnel. He can be satisfied that he got called up - no shame there. Best concentrate on remembering why you're one of the best backrowers in Europe, butt.

Fantastic kick from Hook to win it. Deserves to start on Tuesday for that.

Midweek team looking much better, though.

I bloody missed most of it.. gutted. From the highlights and what little I did see Williams looks like he played a blinder!! :D

E2a - Anyone see the france v NZ game?? Good win for the French and a good game all round, Medard was a class act :)

I did see Williams looks like he played a blinder!! :D

He did, what a fucking rugby player, what a pleasure to watch. He's ahead of Wallace now, just about. Is there any chance they could play 6 and 7 on the same team with Wally asked to be a bit tighter?

He did, what a fucking rugby player, what a pleasure to watch.

And I fucking missed it, AArrgggH! :(

I hate to throw a spanner into things but I was thinking about how brilliant Roberts has been... buuuuut, what if the boks do exactly what Joe Worsley and England did to him in the 6n?? Joe single handedly tackled him out the game... Yes I know they still won etc etc, but that isn't my point.

Would the Boks play a back row at centre when defending? Perhaps not... but maybe :hmm::hmm:

He did, what a fucking rugby player, what a pleasure to watch. He's ahead of Wallace now, just about. Is there any chance they could play 6 and 7 on the same team with Wally asked to be a bit tighter?

Martyn was awesome today. A perfect 7's performance in every aspect. Wallace at 6 and Nugget at 7, please.:)

Martyn was awesome today. A perfect 7's performance in every aspect. Wallace at 6 and Nugget at 7, please.:)

We were discussing the back row selection in the Cayo today and I think everyone would agree that its the most wide open area of the test team. All the performances that have stood out so far, before today, have been for play in the loose and not so much for play on the ground. We havent seen those great plays by players diving on looose balls etc. Today Nugget put in the type of game we expect from him and thank god he took thta try because Ellis wouldnt have got us a try if he'd tried for a fortnight, Thought Harry as very poor today, at times he had the abll at his feet and was calling the support over only to go blind and had in efcet slowed the ball down by a minute!

Just athought from west field , but is it possible that the Lions will go into th etests with Hooky (can cover OH, centre,wing and FB) with Shane getting a bench berth to cover SH,and wing, thus allowing an extra forward on the bench! just a thought like.

And I fucking missed it, AArrgggH! :(

I hate to throw a spanner into things but I was thinking about how brilliant Roberts has been... buuuuut, what if the boks do exactly what Joe Worsley and England did to him in the 6n?? Joe single handedly tackled him out the game... Yes I know they still won etc etc, but that isn't my point.

Would the Boks play a back row at centre when defending? Perhaps not... but maybe :hmm::hmm:

Roberts is first a 15, second a 14 and third a 12. Don't forget that he's only been playing inside centre for a single season. He's had to learn the positioning both defensively and in attack, learn the angles of running, etc. I'd say that he's twice the player in that position than he was in the England game, which is testament to his superb footballing brain. They'd need more than a Worzel to stop the guy atm. Very interested to see how they try and shoehorn him, Henson and Shanklin into the same team next year.

Just athought from west field , but is it possible that the Lions will go into th etests with Hooky (can cover OH, centre,wing and FB) with Shane getting a bench berth to cover SH,and wing, thus allowing an extra forward on the bench! just a thought like.

Ellis was, indeed, shit.

Shane won't cover s/h, though. Not in a test match. He's not good enough in that position. If Spikey Pikey Mikey gets injured we are majorly fucked. Blair is a busted flush and Ellis is really struggling to produce his form of the 6N.

Team for tomorrow:
Lions team: K Earls (Munster & Ireland); S Williams (Ospreys & Wales), R Flutey (Wasps & England), G D'Arcy (Leinster & Ireland), L Fitzgerald (Leinster & Ireland), J Hook (Ospreys & Wales), M Blair (Edinburgh & Scotland); A Sheridan (Sale Sharks & England), R Ford (Edinburgh & Scotland), E Murray (Northampton & Scotland), S Shaw (Wasps & England), D O'Callaghan (Munster & Ireland) (capt), N Hines (Perpignan & Scotland), J Worsley (Wasps & England), A Powell (Cardiff Blues & Wales).

Replacements: M Rees (Scarlets & Wales), A Jones (Ospreys & Wales), T Croft (Leicester Tigers & England), D Wallace (Munster & Ireland), H Ellis (Leicester Tigers & England), R O'Gara (Munster & Ireland), U Monye (Harlequins & England).
Looks to me like it's playing for bench places. Hook / Powell / Hines / Fitzgerald / Williams outside calls for test XVif they have a stormer? Probably not, but still...

Team for tomorrow from the BBC:

K Earls (Munster & Ireland) S Williams (Ospreys & Wales), R Flutey (Wasps & England), G D'Arcy (Leinster & Ireland), L Fitzgerald (Leinster & Ireland), J Hook (Ospreys & Wales), M Blair (Edinburgh & Scotland); A Sheridan (Sale Sharks & England), R Ford (Edinburgh & Scotland), E Murray (Northampton & Scotland), S Shaw (Wasps & England), D O'Callaghan (Munster & Ireland) (capt), N Hines (Perpignan & Scotland), J Worsley (Wasps & England), A Powell (Cardiff Blues & Wales).

Replacements: M Rees (Scarlets & Wales), A Jones (Ospreys & Wales), T Croft (Leicester Tigers & England), D Wallace (Munster & Ireland), H Ellis (Leicester Tigers & England), R O'Gara (Munster & Ireland), U Monye (Harlequins & England).

Looks like a bit of a scratch side tbh. Shaw, O'Callaghan and Hines all start which indicates O'Connell and AWJ start as the test engine room.

Does Powell playing again give the message: Play as well as you did Saturday and you're in, or does it mean they won't play him 3 games in a row so he is out? I think the back row is still all up for grabs.

I think Hook at out half means Jones is going to be test 10 with O'Gara on the bench in case Jones kicking goes as wonky as it was Saturday.

That pack looks very slow to me. Pretty damn strong, but very slow. Some pace on the bench, which may be needed.

Does this mean Kearney will start on the wing in the test? Not featuring at all tomorrow with no full back cover on the bench either is a strange selection otherwise.

I reckon that means they'll go with a back three of Bowe/Byrne/Kearney, wouldn't surprise me at all after how flakey Monye was in defence last time out.

do you not think that bowe, byrne and kearney are the best players to start in the test?
not only has williams been quiet, but he's now been hit by a tummybug

who would you rather have there?

do you not think that bowe, byrne and kearney are the best players to start in the test?
not only has williams been quiet, but he's now been hit by a tummybug

who would you rather have there?

I do but everyone and their dog has been picking Monye. Ickle Shane is nowhere near a test spot even on the bench, he's been shite all tour, as has ROG. Hook has to be in the test 22 imh

Does this mean Kearney will start on the wing in the test? Not featuring at all tomorrow with no full back cover on the bench either is a strange selection otherwise.

I reckon that means they'll go with a back three of Bowe/Byrne/Kearney, wouldn't surprise me at all after how flakey Monye was in defence last time out.

Keep up at the back, Kearney is injured.

Back
Top Bottom