Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BREXIT Crunch time (part 38) WTF is going to happen next?

Brexit crunch - WTF happens next?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Why do people keep saying "this is not what the people voted for". It was 52-48, how anyone can take that as a strong mandate against a soft Brexit I don't know. It's not good for my blood pressure.

I've got no horse in this race, I no longer care much, or really know what I think but this one thing really grinds my gears.

I wasnt clear, I meant how will May implement it without having her party kick her out before she finishes uttering the words! Fact is no Tory party leader would be allowed to implement what would be seen as a Labour plan, and against the stated party membership. Now that would be a constitutional crisis if it gets that far!
It would be a tory party crisis, for sure. But would it be a constitutional crisis? May would have passed something through the Commons wrt brexit. I guess it would be fitting in the process if that were to mean that she couldn't then do that thing the Commons has (kind of) agreed on.

Why do people keep saying "this is not what the people voted for". It was 52-48, how anyone can take that as a strong mandate against a soft Brexit I don't know. It's not good for my blood pressure.

I've got no horse in this race, I no longer care much, or really know what I think but this one thing really grinds my gears.
This is people pushing their agendas under the cover of 'democracy'.

I wasnt clear, I meant how will May implement it without having her party kick her out before she finishes uttering the words! Fact is no Tory party leader would be allowed to implement what would be seen as a Labour plan, and against the stated party membership. Now that would be a constitutional crisis if it gets that far!
They can't kick her out for another year after the ERG's failed VoNC...

I might be wrong but isn't there the grey suit maneuver that overrides that?
Someone will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know there is no formal procedure by which her leadership of the party can be challenged until the year is up.

I suppose Prince Philip could ask MI5 to dispose of her...

The editor of the Spectator appears to have a better grasp of the issues at stake than the Guardian's Polly Toynbee
Guardian columnist Polly Toynbee says Labour face "a real dilemma" over negotiations with Theresa May. She says the party leadership should not agree to anything without a promise to put the deal "back to people". "Anything else would be a catastrophe," she says. "If he agrees a deal without confirmation from the people he owns it [Brexit]."
Spectator editor Fraser Nelson agrees it is a "great dilemma" but adds that if, by doing a deal on the customs union, "he can split the Tories down the middle that might be a prize worth paying". "We could be looking at a Tory split, we could be looking at the end on Tory Party"... He says if Theresa May does a deal with Jeremy Corbyn there will be many more resignations.

THey cant use the formal method of changing leader till december - but if enough people in the party want rid of her they will force her out - mass cabinet resignations, mps refusing to serve under her etc etc.

Except, of course, J Corbz has proven this doesn't always work.

The editor of the Spectator appears to have a better grasp of the issues at stake than the Guardian's Polly Toynbee
The People's Vote obsessives are doing my nut in. They literally think it's the magic solution. It is so far from being that, whatever the result of the vote - and it's only people in the London bubble who are convinced it would definitely return the result they want. It's the stupidity as much as anything that gets to me.

In the meantime it seems Corbyn and Mays talks today have mostly been about further talks. The twists and turns of this will require an entire Netflix drama series, not just a film. I will not watch it.

corbyn had the overwhelming support of the membership - and labour weren't in power.
TBF IIRC May had, if not overwhelming, strong support of the membership back in Dec, not seem any that still holds true. And the nature of the support was very different to Corbyn's

Corbyn has just said he mentioned to maybot a second ref 'to avoid a no deal or a bad deal'. So he is leaving it open for no ref needed if he believes they agree a good deal. Weak.

Corbyn has just said he mention to maybot a second ref 'to avoid a no deal or a bad deal'. So he is leaving it open for no ref needed if he believes they agree a good deal. Weak.
The People's Vote obsessives are doing my nut in. They literally think it's the magic solution. It is so far from being that, whatever the result of the vote - and it's only people in the London bubble who are convinced it would definitely return the result they want. It's the stupidity as much as anything that gets to me.

She's 100% wrong, he may well be right. Same time, I can't see the Tory Party splitting into 2 full factions, it will always reform like a shit version of the liquid metal terminator. Of course ukip has chosen the wrong moment to go the full tommy robinson. Not likely to pick up too many erg types, however nutz they are.

Corbyn has just said he mentioned to maybot a second ref 'to avoid a no deal or a bad deal'. So he is leaving it open for no ref needed if he believes they agree a good deal. Weak.

Seems reasonable to me, considering there doesn't seem to be a majority in house, nor in the country, for a second ref.

TBF IIRC May had, if not overwhelming, strong support of the membership back in Dec, not seem any that still holds true. And the nature of the support was very different to Corbyn's

the vote in december was only among tory MPs not the party membership - think the rule is (tory) party membership only get a vote on last 2 candidates in a leadership election once MPs votes have eliminated other candidates. assuming it gets as far as 2 candidates standing which it didn't when TM was elected party leader.

the vote in december was only among tory MPs not the party membership - think the rule is (tory) party membership only get a vote on last 2 candidates in a leadership election once MPs votes have eliminated other candidates. assuming it gets as far as 2 candidates standing which it didn't when TM was elected party leader.
Yes but unless I'm mistaken polling gave her a strong majority among the party membership

In the meantime it seems Corbyn and Mays talks today have mostly been about further talks. The twists and turns of this will require an entire Netflix drama series, not just a film. I will not watch it.
Bbbbut the previous referendum was such fun and the loss of life was minimal

usually I cant, but hearing the likes of Ferrari and his rabid band of listeners almost exploding is a joy to behold

Just caught the last 5 mins of Nigel, and some guy said somethign about a bomb and then taking up arms, was last caller, get it on catch up in you want a laugh.

Seems reasonable to me, considering there doesn't seem to be a majority in house, nor in the country, for a second ref.

He's setting himself up for complicity if an agreed exit turns out to be a bad thing. He'll also annoy his majority remain party. Any agreement made with maybot won't be legally enforceable and open for shredding by the new tory leader in a couple of months time. I can't see any upsides for him if there's no people's mandate from whatever they agree.

Back
Top Bottom