Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BREXIT Crunch time (part 38) WTF is going to happen next?

Brexit crunch - WTF happens next?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So, who's risking more going into this meeting, and who's got better odds of coming out of it on top*?

*which, in this context, generally means not as deep in shit as the other.

has to be auld corbyn as there's no more that can be said about him to rubbish him more than he has been already

dunno really.

i can't see this going well.

if the talks don't lead to anything and we end up with no-deal, then the tories and their friends in the press can say it's all corbyn's fault (and the labour /remain voters will be pissed off) -

or if we end up with a long extension to article 50 then same again but with the labour / leave voters pissed off.

or if the outcome is a softish brexit, then the tories and their friends in the press will say corbyn has betrayed brexit and it's all his fault (and the labour / leave voters will be pissed off because it's not really brexit, and the labour / remain voters will be pissed off because it's still a brexit of some sort)

i'm inclined to think that a principled decision would be to tell the tories this is a shambles of their own making and not to get involved, but i can see that wouldn't play well.

i don't think corbyn has got the political / weasel skills to come out of this well. i can't see the press - whatever the outcome - hailing corbyn as the country's saviour for sorting out this bloody shambles.

Tbf, Osborne's on-going feud with May does produce some good LES headlines...

:eek:

the line of the evening sub-standard over the last year or two has tended to be how bloody awful may is but corbyn would be worse

the line of the evening sub-standard over the last year or two has tended to be how bloody awful may is but corbyn would be worse
It still is; it's just an (by 'Evening standards') amusing conflation of those two notions.

dunno really.

i can't see this going well.

if the talks don't lead to anything and we end up with no-deal, then the tories and their friends in the press can say it's all corbyn's fault (and the labour /remain voters will be pissed off) -

or if we end up with a long extension to article 50 then same again but with the labour / leave voters pissed off.

or if the outcome is a softish brexit, then the tories and their friends in the press will say corbyn has betrayed brexit and it's all his fault (and the labour / leave voters will be pissed off because it's not really brexit, and the labour / remain voters will be pissed off because it's still a brexit of some sort)

i'm inclined to think that a principled decision would be to tell the tories this is a shambles of their own making and not to get involved, but i can see that wouldn't play well.

i don't think corbyn has got the political / weasel skills to come out of this well. i can't see the press - whatever the outcome - hailing corbyn as the country's saviour for sorting out this bloody shambles.

everyone's seen may cock things up for the best part of three years so i doubt much mud would stick to corbyn in the event this engagement fails. it's more likely he'll be blamed if it succeeds.

I think you may overstate how pissed off labour-voting leave supporters would be with a soft brexit. The tory activists are frothing about it, but I've really not heard anything to suggest left-leaning people doing the same. The lines that x, y or z would not be 'real brexit' are generally being pushed by the right for a right-leaning audience. I see no evidence of resonance with the left.

That aside, I agree with this point. It's a bloody cheek of May to spend three years excluding anyone but the tories from the brexit process only to call in for help after fucking it all up. If you don't want to govern, have a GE, should be the cry now. But that would play badly. Corbyn needs to try to look like the grown-up in the room, and that means agreeing to talks.

I think you may overstate how pissed off labour-voting leave supporters would be with a soft brexit. The tory activists are frothing about it, but I've really not heard anything to suggest left-leaning people doing the same. The lines that x, y or z would not be 'real brexit' are generally being pushed by the right for a right-leaning audience. I see no evidence of resonance with the left.

That aside, I agree with this point. It's a bloody cheek of May to spend three years excluding anyone but the tories from the brexit process only to call in for help after fucking it all up. If you don't want to govern, have a GE, should be the cry now. But that would play badly. Corbyn needs to try to look like the grown-up in the room, and that means agreeing to talks.
It means agreeing to talks, but it clearly doesn't mean agreeing to any old shit she suggests.

It also depends on what Corbyn's priorities are. Is it just about Brexit or is it primarily about driving a wedge further into the split in the Tory party?

Isn't this just a way for May to pin any lack of progress on Corbyn/Labour? Given her track record I'm finding it difficult to imagine any flexibility or compromise on her part...

May is thick as fuck and has been backed into a corner.

She's now clutching at the shortest straw after all the others have been sucked, but I doubt she has an over arching plan in all this.

It might well pan out that blame will be pinned on Corbyn if talks fail, but she just wants power and that would be a welcome side effect for May, not the intention.

May is thick as fuck and has been backed into a corner.

She's now clutching at the shortest straw after all the others have been sucked, but I doubt she has an over arching plan in all this.

It might well pan out that blame will be pinned on Corbyn if talks fail, but she just wants power and that would be a welcome side effect for May, not the intention.
corbs more likely to get blamed if talks succeed than if they fail

Most likely its just a sham to try and blame some of the shit show on corbyn.
I very much doubt they would come to agreement - partly because it would go down like a cup of cold sick with both parties.
The fact that none of senior brexiteer ministers have resigned suggests that may is not going to soften her red lines. At most may will go agree to change in the language of the PD to be more custom union orientated - but nothing binding that her successor cant just rip up.
Corbyn wont agree to that. Talks fail.
May can say " i tried".

Back
Top Bottom