Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Biscuitville deserves its own thread.

Reckon they eat them in Iceland.
They eat puffins.
(I think).

they do. a story:
we went to iceland maybe a dozen years ago. (loved it, must go back.) on the menu were puffins.* we protested: "they soooo cute! how can you eat them??!?!"
hotel owner said, "well lambs are cute too and you (americans) eat them!"
she was right :(

*also whale, which was done up in a carpaccio. very tasty.

they do. a story:
we went to iceland maybe a dozen years ago. (loved it, must go back.) on the menu were puffins.* we protested: "they soooo cute! how can you eat them??!?!"
hotel owner said, "well lambs are cute too and you (americans) eat them!"
she was right :(

*also whale, which was done up in a carpaccio. very tasty.
I didn't eat any exotic birds in Iceland. I kept seeing signs for whale meat but couldn't bring myself to try it. I also didn't buy a sealskin hat for similar reasons. It really was the most beautiful soft, shining, silvery fur and I could see why it is prized. But you know....dead baby seals and that :(

Last edited:
They look like scones, and they’re on the table as you sit down, in a little wicker basket with a gingham cloth wrapped around them. After you say the blessing, all with heads bowed, the person closest the the buscuits quickly takes one and passes the basket to the left. Everyone takes their biscuit while the meal is served around, and everyone looks at their biscuit lovingly, waiting for the rest of the food to land on the plate so you can eat the biscuit. You pick up the biscuit and it’s warm and slightly crusty, a golden colour, with a waistline that you tuck the tip of your thumb into so you can break the biscuit open along the midline. The soft white insides is not like bread, or a scone, or cake. It’s kind of like bread but with a crumb to it. Quickly add a little pat of butter, quick enough so the butter can melt in the warmth of the biscuit. Now you use one half to accompany your meal, and later the other half (or if you're lucky, a second biscuit) to mop your plate.

More toothsome than bread, less stodgy than a scone. Sweetish, but not sugary. Cushiony when you bite into them.

All of this is giving me a weird deja vu. Can even smell and taste the things (especially the smell of the biscuit when you crack it open).
Maybe I was American in a past life. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom