Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Beating the Fascists: The authorised history of Anti-Fascist Action

LD, there is a serious lack of scans of original fighting talks and red action stuff as well as photos of action - apart from the well known few that are already duplicated many times (i did see a copy of fighting talk on amazon going for 7 quid). if anyone can upload this stuff to the site it would be invaluable for researchers to use or draw on. the clandestine nature of militant antifascism has its down side!

:eek:

4BF38D62B3EA28101FD2F301DB5F4.jpg

Cash in the fucking attic lads. :D

malatesta32 - search a few pages into the most recent parts of this thread, and you'll see (with many thanks to butchersapron and Fozzie Bear), a ZIP/RAR file containing the entire run of "Fighting Talk".

How is it cheeky? I bought it off eBay and there isn't any copywrite on it.

Plus don't you think it's good for new people getting involved to read old literature?

malatesta32 - search a few pages into the most recent parts of this thread, and you'll see (with many thanks to butchersapron and Fozzie Bear), a ZIP/RAR file containing the entire run of "Fighting Talk".

thanks loads for that. i did see it but forgot where it was. all info gratefully received. we are planning a book on antifascism (1920s - present) with a particular focus on AFA, RA etc and including recent developments with the EDL etc.

it doesn't contain the entire run though, there's some missing issues in that file

It's a CD with old fighting talks and other literature. It's not a complete list unfortunately, I spoke to someone involved with BtF and he said they're going to get them all on the BtF website.

Here is a discription:

This is a collection of scanned PDF copies of FIGHTING TALK magazine which was published by Anti-Fascist Action during the 1990′s.

A text document of ‘FILLING THE VACUUM’ is included in this collection, as is the pamphlet ‘AFA: AN INTRODUCTION TO LONDON ANTI-FASCIST ACTION’, published in 1991.

The copies of FIGHTING TALK that are included are: 2,4,8,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21.

Also included are:

ANTI-FASCIST ACTION – 1985-2001 – A SHORT HISTORY (Word document)
ANTI-FASCIST ACTION – RADICAL RESISTANCE OR RENT-A-MOB? (PDF)
BASH THE FASH – ANTI-FASCIST RECOLLECTIONS 1984-1993 (Rich Text document)
THE CHARGE OF THE NEW RED BRIGADE (article on Red Action) – 1995 (Rich- Text document)
NO QUARTER – ISSUE ONE (AFA – IRELAND) – 2002 (Rich Text document)
MEMOIRS OF A STREET FIGHTING MAN (on AFA’s arch rivals, Combat 18) – 1997 (Rich Text document)

Plus a folder of ANTI-FASCIST GRAPHICS.

These journals are now incredibly rare and constitute a largely hidden slice of political history and are essential reading for anyone interested in the history of anti-fascism on this island.

The magazines are supplied on a CD-Rom in a plain DVD case.

How is it cheeky? I bought it off eBay and there isn't any copywrite on it.

Plus don't you think it's good for new people getting involved to read old literature?

because you shouldn't be charging people for something that should be made freely available (and will be made freely available on the beating the fascists site) - people are less likely to read it if you're making that read dependent upon a fee being paid

It's a CD with old fighting talks and other literature. It's not a complete list unfortunately, I spoke to someone involved with BtF and he said they're going to get them all on the BtF website.

Here is a discription:

This is a collection of scanned PDF copies of FIGHTING TALK magazine which was published by Anti-Fascist Action during the 1990′s.

A text document of ‘FILLING THE VACUUM’ is included in this collection, as is the pamphlet ‘AFA: AN INTRODUCTION TO LONDON ANTI-FASCIST ACTION’, published in 1991.

The copies of FIGHTING TALK that are included are: 2,4,8,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21.

Also included are:

ANTI-FASCIST ACTION – 1985-2001 – A SHORT HISTORY (Word document)
ANTI-FASCIST ACTION – RADICAL RESISTANCE OR RENT-A-MOB? (PDF)
BASH THE FASH – ANTI-FASCIST RECOLLECTIONS 1984-1993 (Rich Text document)
THE CHARGE OF THE NEW RED BRIGADE (article on Red Action) – 1995 (Rich- Text document)
NO QUARTER – ISSUE ONE (AFA – IRELAND) – 2002 (Rich Text document)
MEMOIRS OF A STREET FIGHTING MAN (on AFA’s arch rivals, Combat 18) – 1997 (Rich Text document)

These journals are now incredibly rare and constitute a largely hidden slice of political history and are essential reading for anyone interested in the history of anti-fascism on this island.

The magazines are supplied on a CD-Rom in a plain DVD case.
Who did you buy this off of on ebay?

(Not worth a big argument over this, but this does interest me)

The magazines are supplied on a CD-Rom in a plain DVD case.[/QUOTE]

thats great news. the clandestine nature of militant antifascism discourages documentation which is why BtF is so important (and entertaining!). these are hidden histories that 'official' antifascists like dave renton never cover accurately cos they just werent there!

it doesn't contain the entire run though, there's some missing issues in that file

Yeah it's just what I had lurking around the flat - before it all went on ebay a couple of years back.

Oddly one of the people who bought some copies off me was Dave Hann.

As has been said, it would be great if all the FTs etc were online - an excellent addition to "Beating The Fascists" and a really good example of how to do a political magazine that will actually get read cover to cover, imho.

Er, whoops, sorry to all for the misinformation on my part - I hold my hands up on that one. As others have said, a full FT would be an excellent resource.

thanks loads for that. i did see it but forgot where it was. all info gratefully received. we are planning a book on antifascism (1920s - present) with a particular focus on AFA, RA etc and including recent developments with the EDL etc.

Any idea when this might be coming out? Publisher? Who is "we" by the way?

Had this before, malatessta is a bit of man of mystery?

Manchester AFA ( Alliance rather than Action) seem to be trying to branding themslevesas the legacy of ,Manchester AFA ( Action not Alliance)

Had this before, malatessta is a bit of man of mystery?

Manchester AFA ( Alliance rather than Action) seem to be trying to branding themslevesas the legacy of ,Manchester AFA ( Action not Alliance)

I got the impression that they were just trying to keep the fight against fascism going.

blimey, got to start writing it yet but it will be written by the malatsetas who write the articles and run the website. it will contextualise recent and contemporary MILITANT euro anti fascism and give an antifascist history of italy, germany/austria, spain, UK etc and hopefully use interviews and reports from acitivists. i mentioned before somewhere round here that posts by the likes of liam, cogg and ayatollah are extremely valuable first hand accounts which researchers can draw on. the book will be from a militant not sectarian POV - like AFA. got to do the proposal and then see who bites really. AK, freedom etc. any ideas?

yeah could do but without being snotty they aim it a bit lower than we were thinking. an analysis of the pros and cons of the KPDs militant stratgey may not be such comfy shelfmates as hooligans 1&2 or the gangs of manchester (tho theyre both good reads!). cheers BA!

AK, freedom etc. any ideas?

the experience of getting BTF onto the shelves with both of these outfits (AK was originally in the running to publish it) from start to finish of the technical/production process to post publication marketing/publicity was pretty tortorous to be honest

Back
Top Bottom