Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BBC - Owen Jones

"If you're using Remembrance Sunday as an excuse to have a pop at a politician you don't like, it's you disrespecting the occasion."

I can't think of a more appropriate occasion to "have a pop" at politicians tbh.

How about if you use it to have a pop at your twitter enemies Owen? And how about some critical interrogation of 'the occasion'.

The occasion ffs.

Harshing the remembrance day buzz is it. What is 'the occasion' other than a glorification of imperialism, nationalism and militarism half-arsedly cloaked by the aegis of anti-fascism. :confused:

When that little Syrian boy was found washed up on a Turkish beach, it had an impact on public opinion, because humans are naturally empathetic creatures, but that empathy is undermined when the humanity of a group of people are stripped away. Suddenly refugees became human beings again: story-telling humanises. Focusing on, say, personal experiences of being treated by foreign-born nurses and doctors in the NHS can be effective, too, because a large chunk of the population has experience of being treated by, say, Nigerian, Lithuanian or Bangladeshi careworkers. Making arguments that connect with people emotionally, rather than treating them as statistic-computing machines, is more effective.

I wonder if this cavalier attitude to admission prices still applies. I suspect not.

View attachment 79325

It has already sold out, so no.

Column-writing with Owen Jones

If you want to see him in London talking in general that'll be £16.

Owen Jones: The Politics of Hope - Leicester Square Theatre

This one is just him talking for Colchester £12 a pop.

Owen Jones: The Politics of Hope at Colchester Arts Centre

His talk in Sheffield was a bit more reasonable at £7.50.

Off the Shelf 2015

Or £3 to watch it streamed elsewhere in the building, wow.

Interesting that the only one out of Owen, Shami Chakrabarti, Gary Younge and Paul Mason to be streamed is Owen Jones.
I think Paul Mason is empty, but SC is a proper lawyer and GY has close hand perspective on black America - but Owen Jones has more to give apparently.

Did you see that one in the guardian today - 'why the tories are planning to steal the schools from the church' :facepalm:

Can't say I'm over pleased with his 'jokey' interviews with the likes of Rees-Mogg, but more importantly with his flip-flopping (hey, remember that term?) over Europe. A couple of months ago he was passionately calling for the Left to unite behind an 'out' vote, suddenly he's saying the opposite. Not impressed.

Grotesque. You have an opportunity to squeeze division into Britain's ruling powers and you say campaign for in.

With Cameron in retreat, Labour can unite behind “in” while calling for a different EU. That means making it more democratic, more transparent and, above all, challenging how it is all too often hardwired to support unaccountable corporate interests rather than working people. There will be differences in emphasis in how this is achieved. For those on Labour’s left, there are two European initiatives that must surely be engaged with. One has been set up byYanis Varoufakis, the former Greek finance minister. In February, he will launch the Democracy in Europe Movement 2025 (DiEM25), with the aim of democratising unaccountable EU institutions. Another is Plan B, set up by leftwingers such as Germany’s Oskar Lafontaine and France’s Jean Luc Mélenchon, which aims to coordinate European politicians, intellectuals, activists and NGOs with regular summits to chart a different way forward.

So you can big two new soft-left talking shops

J Ed

A new high: Boris Johnson's sister & Owen Jones to watch live for an hour and a half that'll be £16.07.

Professor Mike Savage, from the LSE, helped collate the survey and published the results in 'Social Class in the 21st Century'. Join Mike to find out more about class in modern Britain and take part in a debate about the impact of historic social structures in this country with Owen Jones, as he republishes 'Chavs: the demonization of the working class'; Rachel Johnson, Mail on Sunday Columnist, author and broadcaster; and Lynsey Hanley, author of 'Respectable: The Experience of Class'. Chaired by The Guardian’s Anne Perkins.

Running time: 90 minutes, no interval.

July 2015:
The left must put Britain's EU withdrawal on the agenda
The left must now campaign to leave the EU | Owen Jones
Owen Jones said:
Progressives should be appalled by European Union’s ruination of Greece. It’s time to reclaim the Eurosceptic cause

Feb 2016:
How Corbyn could make a virtue of his former EU doubts
How Corbyn could make a virtue of his former EU doubts | Owen Jones
Owen Jones said:
Like me, Jeremy Corbyn questioned the benefits of staying in the EU. He should join a left-leaning European movement for change from within

So, Owen falls back on the "vote for 'x' with no illusions" argument, just like he did regarding the General Election.

It's a winning strategy - campaign for an 'in' vote by slagging off the EU at every opportunity.

I'm constantly amazed that social democracy isn't more popular given its tactical savvy.

I criticised Owen Jones on Facebook page yesterday, never swore, never used any disparaging language or anything. Simply pointed out that I did not agree with him and that I believe Labour should support an out campaign. The response I got from his followers was unbelievable, I was accused of being racist, EDL and all sorts. So many people reported my post that the Guardian blocked me from posting for 24 hours to their facebook page. I even had my profile picture reported for containing nudity!

Is this how the left treat their own?

I criticised Owen Jones on Facebook page yesterday, never swore, never used any disparaging language or anything. Simply pointed out that I did not agree with him and that I believe Labour should support an out campaign. The response I got from his followers was unbelievable, I was accused of being racist, EDL and all sorts. So many people reported my post that the Guardian blocked me from posting for 24 hours to their facebook page. I even had my profile picture reported for containing nudity!

did you get called an anarchist? OJ was doing that last year at people who disagreed with him. On that twitter machine.

Were you invited to check your privilege too?

Owen has just stormed out of the Sky News Paper review, he was very angry that the presenter and Hartley Brewer were not acknowleging the exceptionalism of the awful events in Orlando. which he said "was a homophobic terrorist act and the worse for LGBT since the holocaust". One could see he was fragile, was understandably 'on the brink' and maybe shouldn't have gone on tonight and maybe left it till he had slept etc.

btw, i met Owen a couple of weeks ago, he is a deeply compassionate man.

Last edited:
I don't agree with Owen Jones on much (anything to be honest) but he was right to walk off from what I have seen.

My only criticism is that he should be tanned the jaw of the presenter on the way out.

Back
Top Bottom