Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bands you refuse to listen to because their name is awful

I've been put off The Brian Jonestown Massacre for years by their name. Heard a song by them recently that's pretty good. I imagined some bad pun-laden Carter USM type shite.
Really like them now. Ineffable Mindfuck is my favourite song by them. Going to see them later this month.

Florence and the Machine - a name that would be acceptable if she performed to nothing but a pre-recorded backing track, but she doesn’t, so should be called Florence and her accompanying band of actual human musicians.

Joan as policewoman - but you’re not performing a role as a policewoman on stage. You’re performing the role of musician. So Joan as musician surely?

That said, I hated Therapy? in my teenage years purely because of the question mark at the end of their name, but I since got into them in a big way and they’re now one of my all time favourite bands. So yes, it just goes to show, think on.

Oh yeah, the other thing I don’t understand (and mildly annoys me) is how band name formats go in fads. In the mid/ late 90’s you had bands ending in -er. Feeder, Looper, Sleeper, etc.

Then early 2010’s ish you had adjective-word, like fleet foxes, friendly fires, frightened rabbit, modest mouse.

Do the bands all consciously choose a name from a set format at the same time, or do record labels look for and promote bands with a set name format at the same time, or is it all just coincidence?

Really like them now. Ineffable Mindfuck is my favourite song by them. Going to see them later this month.
Love BJM too. Seen them quite a few times over the years; they do one thing really really well and I love that loud, shoegazey, stoner 60s thing very much :cool: So many good albums too. I'm seeing them in Manchester for my birthday with friends and loads of drugs :D

Last edited:
:D Well the gigs in a couple of weeks. I'll let you know how it went. First night of the tour in Falmouth.

I'm glad they made it down this far to Cornwall. Plenty don't. Most tour schedules stop at Bristol, Plymouth if you're lucky.
Yeh, it's 50/50 whether bands come to Southampton or Portsmouth. Sometimes Bournemouth.

BJM live can be tense :facepalm: :D . Anton often feels the need to reply to hecklers - the PLAY FREEBIRD guy caused him to walk off early when I saw them a few years ago.

(I quite like Dandys too. Have you heard 'Distortland'? Great album. They're basically a more pop BJM)

Didn't know BJM were still going. Saw them supporting someone or other 20 odd years ago and they'd already been around for ages by then. Good gig though.

Last thing I heard from them was some weird electronic album that didn't work at all. Stick to the cowboy chords Anton.

Didn't know BJM were still going. Saw them supporting someone or other 20 odd years ago and they'd already been around for ages by then. Good gig though.

Last thing I heard from them was some weird electronic album that didn't work at all. Stick to the cowboy chords Anton.
That might well be Don't Get Lost from 2017 which was their hope you like our new direction album. Nobody did so you're safe with the last 3 albums from 2018 on. Or let's face it, pretty much all of the previous 20 odd albums.

:D Well the gigs in a couple of weeks. I'll let you know how it went. First night of the tour in Falmouth.

I'm glad they made it down this far to Cornwall. Plenty don't. Most tour schedules stop at Bristol, Plymouth if you're lucky.
The princes pavilion has brief spurts of having things worth seeing then reverts back to Eagles and Pink Floyd tributes. To go back a few posts I saw Therapy? there in November.

The princes pavilion has brief spurts of having things worth seeing then reverts back to Eagles and Pink Floyd tributes. To go back a few posts I saw Therapy? there in November.
Yeah I should keep a closer eye on them really. You do get a few gems. The Fall were gloriously shambolic there a few years ago.

Eta: Just seen that Brian Jonestown Massacre has sold out so there's definitely a market for bands of that ilk playing down here.

Yeah I should keep a closer eye on them really. You do get a few gems. The Fall were gloriously shambolic there a few years ago.

Eta: Just seen that Brian Jonestown Massacre has sold out so there's definitely a market for bands of that ilk playing down here.
Aye, I saw the Fall there. I think they played a few times. The Damned have played a few times as well.

Not quite the same, but I have a massive hatred of bananas, so for that reason my copy of the Velvet Underground & Nico is always filed with the back cover at the front.

Still love the band Melt Banana. I just try not to think about the name.

Not quite the same, but I have a massive hatred of bananas, so for that reason my copy of the Velvet Underground & Nico is always filed with the back cover at the front.

That's nuts.

Me too!!!!
I only have a copy of the Velvets and Nico because my Ex girlfriend stole a load of my records and the CD of that was the only thing I got to grab in a revenge swipe.
I also love melt banana but have difficulty enjoying them because of the name.
Same with Banana Question by Royal Trux. . . . actually there are WAAAYY too many songs with Banana in the title that I like but have to avoid.

Until the birth of my daughter I avoided even touching bananas or anything banana related (in flavour or shape). Im really not sure how I managed to swipe the velvets CD, I must have been pretty mad. I had to get over it for my daughter, who as a baby loved mushed up bananas.

Until the birth of my daughter I avoided even touching bananas or anything banana related (in flavour or shape). Im really not sure how I managed to swipe the velvets CD, I must have been pretty mad. I had to get over it for my daughter, who as a baby loved mushed up bananas.

Ah, you did better than me. Mrs [62] was on all banana-related parenting duties. Just couldn't face it.

Back
Top Bottom