Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bands you refuse to listen to because their name is awful

Ah, you did better than me. Mrs [62] was on all banana-related parenting duties. Just couldn't face it.
I was the primary carer for the first three years. A combination of working freelance and not actually getting much work and working from home some of the time when I did.

I have to say I've never discounted a band for fruit-based reasons before but it's highly valid imo.

I'm going to start with Lemon Jelly.
Actually lemons on sleeves, and probably any fruit pisses me off.
Bad artwork will put me right off buying an LP. . . if you have broken doll parts or something lame (and spooky - ooh) like that I probably won't buy your record.
I liked the second Babes in Toyland LP but never bought it because of the doll on the front (their name sucks too).

In reverse, if you have an awesome record cover I will probably struggle to like the music as much as I can . . . but it's not quite the same.

I love Pigsx7. Best band I saw last year. I'd have liked it 30 years ago too :D Without being too pseudy; live, their wit and humour really come across. Plus they're well heavy and I sort of fancy the singer.

Seeing them again in April :cool:
They're def at their best live - they've never quite captured it on record for me.

Fuck knows, i'm not listening to that shit
IMPORTANT UPDATE on this: the other week I got a lengthy lift off a mate, and you can't really argue with the driver's choice of music especially if they're doing you a nice favour like driving you a long way, and so I have now heard a fair bit of the Front Bottoms. It turns out they are actually pretty good if you like that nasally voice kind of thing, I would definitely think about actively deliberately listening to them in future. Would definitely recommend this method if anyone else wants to form an opinion about the music of anyone else with a shit name.
Actually lemons on sleeves, and probably any fruit pisses me off.
Are you alright with the first DKs album?

Devin Townsend is a genius.

Was the guitarst for Stev Vai (who back in the day was the guitarists guitarist of choice) when he was something daft like 14 years old.

Releases albums covering all types of Rock/Metal.

And also wrote Love, which is the heaviest love song ever....

He's also an absolute showman/lunatic. If you're so inclined check out his Retinal Circus concert in London a few years back. It's mental.

Last edited:
Inspired by a combination of killer b's comment on the atrociously named Working Men's Club...
On that note, was quite impressed to learn that there's a band called Werking Them's Club. Although on googling it it turns out the name's been used twice, a band from Manchester and a DJ collective type thing from Sheffield.

Glasshouse Red Spider Mite. It's not even that awful a name but it evokes the exact same feelings of horror and rage and disgust as the insects themselves do.

Glasshouse Red Spider Mite. It's not even that awful a name but it evokes the exact same feelings of horror and rage and disgust as the insects themselves do.
Arachnids. Mites are related to spiders and scorpions. In case you didn't hate them enough.

Seen them a couple of times, damned good stuff. Amos impossibly to keep up with - five albums last year.

Back
Top Bottom