Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

From rock band to solo project

In reverse.

Prince > Prince and the Revolution. Although he was a super talented musician born from immortal heavens a million light years away he still needed a diverse group of musicians to bring the best out of him.

Not a Rock band, far from it: Electribe 101 > Billie Ray Martin. And The Housemartins > Paul Heaton (+ the wonderful Jacqui Abbott)

Also possibly Frou Frou (though they only released one album) > Imogen Heap. Oh, and not really a fan of Rilo Kiley, but > the magnificent Jenny Lewis.

Does The Beatles > Wings/Paul McCartney count? Nah, thought not. Same for Pixies > Frank Black.

Not a Rock band, far from it: Electribe 101 > Billie Ray Martin. And The Housemartins > Paul Heaton (+ the wonderful Jacqui Abbott)

Also possibly Frou Frou (though they only released one album) > Imogen Heap. Oh, and not really a fan of Rilo Kiley, but > the magnificent Jenny Lewis.
Interesting, I like Rilo Kiley but have never heard any of Jenny Lewis's solo stuff.
Anyway, is the criteria here "artists who made good solo records", which there must be a few of, or "artists whose solo work was as good as if not better than the band's", which is much trickier imo, trying to think who'd qualify?
Depending on your definition of rock music, suppose you could say Johnny Hobo/Wingnut Dishwashers/Ramshackle Glory -> Pat the Bunny?
Oh, and I was going to say NWA -> Ice Cube/Dr Dre, but I suppose that might technically not count as rock music. Same with Wu-Tang Clan.

Jello's had some decent solo albums but idk if any are as good as the DK ones...Danzig? I don't really care about Danzig but someone must, right?

it's tinkly. I was going out with a lass who loved it.

The consensus amongst Yes fans is that Chris Squire's A Fish out of Water is the best solo album by any of its members. I don't like any of their solo stuff except Jon and Vangelis personally.

NO! Early Genesis yes. Late Genesis or Genesis solo's just no.
Looking at PG's discography I see he has released loads of singles - nuff said.
I only have a passing interest in Peter Gabriel but he has Solsbury Hill, Games Without Frontiers, all that So-era stuff and I saw him at Glastonbury once and he was ace.

Genesis have Phil Collins.

Brian Setzer's stuff post- Stray Cats has been excellent. One of the most underrated musicians I know, both as a guitarist and a songwriter.

Back
Top Bottom