Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

From rock band to solo project

In reverse.

Prince > Prince and the Revolution. Although he was a super talented musician born from immortal heavens a million light years away he still needed a diverse group of musicians to bring the best out of him.
Prince did play in other bands though before he went solo as Prince.

Pussy Galore - Jon Spencer / Neil Haggerty
Milkshakes / Headcoats - Billy Childish
Spacemen 3 - Sonic Boom / Spiritualized

The bloke from Mono’s album Harmonic, billing himself as Behind The Shadow Drops, is very good.

I see Motorhead as all Lemmy. From wiki

"Motörhead released 23 studio albums, 10 live recordings, 12 compilation albums and five EPs over a career spanning 40 years"

That not bad going.
I see Motorhead as all Lemmy. From wiki
Wikipedia that great font of all knowledge :D.....for reference have a look what they say about Eddie Clarke and Phil Taylor ;)

"Motörhead released 23 studio albums, 10 live recordings, 12 compilation albums and five EPs over a career spanning 40 years"
And Lemmy did that all on his own...I think Eddie, The two Phils, Wurzel and Mickkey...along with a fair few others would have something to say about that :eek:

Lemmy was a good bassist but the likes of Overkill , Bomber or Ace of spades would have been very lacking with just him:D

Ask any Motorhead fan who the iconic line up were and I'll bet, like me, they'll say Lemmy, 'Fast Eddie' Clarke and 'Philthy Animal' Taylor.

Back to the OP...
Humble pie - Peter Frampton
Humble Pie - Steve Marriott
Traffic - Steve Winwood
Free - Paul Rodgers
Thin Lizzy - Gary Moore
Thin Lizzy - John Sykes
Ozzy Osbourne - Jake E Lee
Ozzy Osbourne - Zakk Wylde

Once again too many to list...I'll leave this thread here :D

Someone who could certainly thrive by himself, I'm sure was the legend that is Roy Wood who was of course with ELO, the Move and Wizard. Sadly, he only put out 3 or 4 solo albums.

Oh, do Godflesh and Scorn count?

That scene is so convoluted it's hard to keep track isn't it. Not sure Mick Harris was ever properly in Godflesh but I think Napalm Death/Godflesh -> JK Flesh/Pale Sketcher/any number of others for Broadrick and Napalm Death -> Scorn for Harris eventually (although a duo at one point) probably count. You could probably do similar for other ND members too.

That scene is so convoluted it's hard to keep track isn't it. Not sure Mick Harris was ever properly in Godflesh but I think Napalm Death/Godflesh -> JK Flesh/Pale Sketcher/any number of others for Broadrick and Napalm Death -> Scorn for Harris eventually (although a duo at one point) probably count. You could probably do similar for other ND members too.
Yeah, I was thinking more of how people are defining solo project, if Motorhead count as a Lemmy solo project then you could probably call Godflesh a Broadrick solo project too, but I wouldn't use that definition, JK Flesh and Pale Sketcher probably a better call there. And yeah, think Scorn didn't start off as a solo project but did become one.
Oh, and Techno Animal (or GOD/Techno Animal/Ice) -> The Bug, if we're not being too strict about the definition of rock band.

Bit of a different scene, but Test Icicles -> Lightspeed Champion/Blood Orange?

The consensus amongst Yes fans is that Chris Squire's A Fish out of Water is the best solo album by any of its members. I don't like any of their solo stuff except Jon and Vangelis personally.
Rick Wakeman is prolific in his output. I've seen him solo live a few times inc. 6 Wives and Journey which are both good albums.

Back
Top Bottom