Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

From rock band to solo project

Robert Plant has had a reasonable and extended solo career after Led Zeppelin, sometimes in close collaboration with others such as the work with Alison Krauss.
He doesn’t seem desperately interested in money and fame after Zeppelin, he comes across as a person who wants to spend his life doing music one way or another.
I do admit to being a massive Led Zeppelin fan, and was devastated when John Bonham died, and realise their lifestyle and excesses were questionable. Great artists with feet of clay.

Robert Plant has had a reasonable and extended solo career after Led Zeppelin, sometimes in close collaboration with others such as the work with Alison Krauss.
He doesn’t seem desperately interested in money and fame after Zeppelin, he comes across as a person who wants to spend his life doing music one way or another.
I do admit to being a massive Led Zeppelin fan, and was devastated when John Bonham died, and realise their lifestyle and excesses were questionable. Great artists with feet of clay.
If you're going to mention Rock gods, I suppose Cream > Eric Clapton follows in the same category?

A couple more, looking through my music collection:

The Czars > John Grant
The Bible > Boo Hewerdine
Fairground Attraction > Eddi Reader
Bronski Beat > Jimmy Somerville
Martin Stephenson & The Daintees > Martin Stephenson
Yazoo > Alison Moyet

Don't know if this one counts: Above & Beyond > Oceanlab. And maybe someone else can confirm this as I'm not familiar with his solo stuff at all: The Jam > Paul Weller?

Ah, I know about the middle one and they weren't very good (though it could be argued that he was ahead of his time with the whole Lounge thing).

The Style Council are better than the Jam for me, but I think Weller's work is patchy across his whole career. He is quite capable of writing great songs, but settles for a lot of filler.

Also a lot of Old Band -> Solo Project New Band.

On that though, Gamma Ray are what Helloween could have been, and Rainbow at their best were better than Deep Purple at theirs.

Travelling Wilburys? :D

Top of my head.....
Rainbow _ Dio
Generation X - Billy Idol
Deep Purple - Gillan
Deep Purple - David Coverdale
The Runaways - Both Lita Ford & Joan Jett
Van Halen - David Lee Roth
Montrose - Sammy Hagar

There's a lot more but I'm waiting to saddle up and have to go :D

The Faces (and others) - Rod Stewart
Rod had a solo career prior to and alongside his time in The Faces.

The Jeff Beck Group was his last band job before going proper solo. I think he might have even released a couple of solo flops prior to being in The Jeff Beck Group. He was in Steampacket before that.

He certainly does love his music and went off doing his own thing. I quite liked his shapeshifters stuff but he was never going to equal the mighty zeppelin.

Yea of course. Did you see the documentary on Hawkwind that was on the BBC?

He definitely carved out his own niche. Top marks for that.
I don't recall seeing it and have made a mental note to see it. They were one of the few bands I was lucky enough to see very early on and quite recently. They are the lords of time 🤘

I don't recall seeing it and have made a mental note to see it. They were one of the few bands I was lucky enough to see very early on and quite recently. They are the lords of time 🤘

Seen them a few times. One of my best ever gigs was when they played a small stage at Slough University which was literally a five minute walk from my where I was living at the time. I remember walking out pissed as fuck shouting "How fucking good was that"

They did a full on heavy 10 minute version of Hasan I Sabah that blew me away. When I have seen them more recently it's been a bit disappointing as they don't play enough back catalogue stuff but they have a massive archive now and it must be a nightmare trying to pick a set list.

But you can totally understand why Lemmy moved on though.

Unlike the usual 'musical differences' my understanding is that it was because he liked Speed and the rest of them Acid, with the incident at the Canadian boarder being the trigger for Dave Brock booting him out.

Either way wish he'd stuck around for a few more albums..

Back
Top Bottom